it really is Super Duper

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mike Drew
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: it really is Super Duper

Post by Mike Drew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:43 pm

Just noticed there is 2 threads re this subject,and I have commented on both thinking it was one....lol...Time for bed :-)
"Its Only Rock N' Roll But Its Expensive"

www.michaeldrew.co.uk

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:46 pm

> For instance the Paris 1972 interview was dated 1970 for some reason.

I don't disagree.

>Also a bit disapointed that they filled in with photos here and there that didn't fit in the timeline around 1970. I may be picky but don´t understand why this happened.

With something like this, you're not necessarily going for one hundred per cent total accuracy. There is an 'emotional truth' that you try to reach.

>Strange that the clip from Hofstra 1972 were in such bad quality.

That is a long and complicated story.

>And why did Neal bring up the quija board story that has been denied so many times?

Exactly.

> Hmmmm... when thinking of it it was not the Hollywood Bowl but the Long Island 1972 concert (also known as the Electric Ballrom Detroit) filmed by Pennebaker.

There have been various rumours but nothing definitive.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:47 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Mike is on Face Book quite a bit.

He joined long after the film was finished, if it makes a difference.

Ok thanks I didn't know that. He was not at the Premiere right? I'm assuming it was the premiere as I saw the photos of Dennis, Neal and Alice.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:49 pm

>He was not at the Premiere right?

No.

>I'm assuming it was the premiere

Yes.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Super Duper - Some great moments but seriously flawed

Post by VinceRaven » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
dadascot wrote: the only other disappointment was that there was only five people in the audience.
Yeah that was a disappointment for me too. I counted about 12 people. I expected better from the people of Bristol.
I think there were about 15 people in Edinburgh. I was disappointed Bill Crowe didn't have the snake with him.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:23 am

I've merged the two topics to keep it all together

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 am

Just read a brief new Alice interview in which he said Mike "was hard to find,like Izzy Stradlin" when asked why Mike was not interviewed for the movie. It is at Radio.com, sorry I couldn't get the link. Someone will!

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 am

Saw it in Liverpool last night. About 25 people in the audience.

I think it is unfortunate that Glen is hardly mentioned. Michael Bruce is mentioned even less and John Tatum and John Speer are not mentioned at all. Having said all that, I really enjoyed the film. Just a pity some people weren't given the credit they deserved for the parts they played in Alice's career.

There was some footage I've never seen before as well as many stills. The footage I have seen on Youtube is often in much better quality here.

The hour and a half flew by. When it finished I thought 'Is that it?' I thought it had only been on for about 45 mins!

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:01 am

A_MichaelUK wrote: I didn't get that impression and as you can probably imagine, with something like this, hours of audio is recorded. It can't all be used.
Totally understandable.
A_MichaelUK wrote:
At no point does it say his career has ended. In fact, it says the opposite.
My bad, I was more referring to the 'character story' if that makes sense? I didn't really find the whole coming back sober in 1986 a satisfying enough end.
A_MichaelUK wrote: (by the way, I don't think it was necessary to create a new thread for this subject).
I should really avoid posting things when i'm really tired. Sorry about that.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 am

I wonder if there is an issue with Michael Bruce?

In the Q & A one of the filmmakers joked about Shep and the film going over budget implying Shep had financed it?

Like I said before I loved the film but I can see why some are upset that Michael isn't mentioned. Was it just an oversight or is there some bad blood?
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:51 am

>I think it is unfortunate that Glen is hardly mentioned.

Again, that isn't true.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:53 am

>I didn't really find the whole coming back sober in 1986 a satisfying enough end.

There was some discussion about ending the documentary with "Trash" but I was happy to defer on that.

>I should really avoid posting things when i'm really tired. Sorry about that.

No problem at all.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 am

>In the Q & A one of the filmmakers joked about Shep and the film going over budget implying Shep had financed it?

He did not.

Ravenred
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Ravenred » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 am

VinceRaven wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:
dadascot wrote: the only other disappointment was that there was only five people in the audience.
Yeah that was a disappointment for me too. I counted about 12 people. I expected better from the people of Bristol.
I think there were about 15 people in Edinburgh. I was disappointed Bill Crowe didn't have the snake with him.
13 in Edinburgh to be exact.... somehow I don't think The vue would of welcomed the snake in! Still, it was a highly entertaining evening & I am glad to have seen it on the big screen
I wanna hurt you just to hear you screaming my name

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Ravenred wrote:
VinceRaven wrote:
13 in Edinburgh to be exact.... somehow I don't think The vue would of welcomed the snake in! Still, it was a highly entertaining evening & I am glad to have seen it on the big screen
Thanks. Going by the avatar, I assume that was you with the snake man.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm

here's the Q & A featuring the joke about Shep and going over budget and the reason given for Michael not being involved. What do people think on watching this? http://youtu.be/FrfQ98wi8yU
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Saw it in Doncaster last night along with my wife and one total stranger, jeez.
Anyway back to the film. I think the old footage was absolutely brilliant, especially all the school stories but like other members comments, how the hell can anyone make a film about Alice Cooper and not mention probably the best songwriter of them all. Whether there`s been a falling out between Michael and Alice is totally irrelevant, for Gods sake if you are going to tell a story, tell it, don`t pick the bits that suit.
The part about his "mad housewife " drug fuelled era was so touching, and when the tv interview was shown I honestly could have cried, it really got to me.

One thing, why did it end so early, has nothing happened in his life since 1986.

That's me done, just wanna say hi to you all, esp our American cousins ( REMEMBER.....I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE )
:rock:
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 pm

>how the hell can anyone make a film about Alice Cooper and not mention probably the best songwriter of them all.

As is often the case, I think some people here and elsewhere are starting to get a bit carried away this. I don't deny that the gentleman in question should have been referred to, even if he was not interviewed. However, as has been stated at least once and probably more than that, the documentary isn't about the band and believe it or not, it actually isn't even about the music. So whether someone was "probably the best songwriter of them all" or not, isn't the point.

>One thing, why did it end so early, has nothing happened in his life since 1986.

In dramatic terms, that was the point the directors wanted to the story at. I think I addressed that in an earlier post.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 pm

>In dramatic terms, that was the point the directors wanted to the story at.

That should be "In dramatic terms, that was the point the directors wanted to end the story at."

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 pm

In hindsight I think I may have been a little harsh on the film last night. From a fans point of view, the footage used and the music is fantastic. I think I was just got a bit carried away with the lack of MB.

One thing it has achieved has rekindled my love for the first 2 albums. Pretties For You is actually a damn good album.