Your favorite HIGHLIGHT of Alice's career...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Your favorite HIGHLIGHT of Alice's career...

Post by Dannorama » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Let’s talk about something fun. My favorite highlight of Alice’s career was the Constrictor comeback. It was a very rewarding time for the true Alice Cooper fan. For those who were not there, allow me to put you in the picture…

It was a dark time. By 1983, Alice was having difficulties. Now, with this website and its storehouse of info, we can see what was really going on behind the scenes. Then, however, we had no internet. We relied on magazines, radio, and increasingly MTV for information. Any buzz regarding Alice had grown rare, to say the least. The landscape had changed, and nobody had time for dinosaur rock stars. It seemed that, by 1985, Alice Cooper was dead.

Then, something started to happen. It soon became apparent that Alice was planning a comeback album – a return of the nightmare Alice Cooper, not the icky drag queen that had fronted his early 80’s phase. MTV fueled the fever by showing classic Alice clips, interviews, and announcing the Halloween concert.

Constrictor was promoted much more heavily than the previous few albums. There were magazine covers, radio ads, posters, and even a movie tie-in. Alice looked more menacing than he ever had. It was powerful stuff.

Personally, my favorite highlight came in November, 1986. After years of doubting that I’d ever see him live, the moment that he burst onto the stage is of my all-time favorite experiences. All that hair, makeup, snakes, swords, babies, and even the guillotine – Alice Cooper was back.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Your favorite HIGHLIGHT of Alice's career...

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 pm

His return with the Constrictor album was definitely a highlight, but I have two others that standout.

Though I personally liked the Constrictor album and still to this day love RYFAY, I was thrilled when Alice returned to platinum status with the "Trash" album. It was great to see him get a lot of airplay on MTV and hearing lots of Alice news again.

The other highlight which might seem minor to some was how good "The Last Temptation" was. I truly believe that if more people had heard this album, they would love it. It had some elements of the classic years but was also very modern. I still listen to that one a lot.

On a personal note, I had the pleasure of meeting Alice a couple of times years ago and he was a total gentleman. He could not have been any more friendly. I was already a diehard fan, but it made me an even bigger fan.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:54 pm

First time I saw him on In Concert in 1972 was a monster highlight and started the ball rolling. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears he was so different from everyone else. Still enjoy watching him bursting into the auditorium past crazed fans and the police to sing I'm Eighteen. Loved how he flaunted the beer bottle he was drinking from and the glam/punk look. This remains my favorite version of Alice, not so much the horror image by itself.

B$B was a highlight, quintessential Alice album. Also enjoyed the excitement level of WTMN as Alice was still enormously popular with rock fans in general.

Other highlights:

I thought it was cool when he worked with Salvador Dali.
FTI album and tour.
Release of Clones and a cool new sound.
Special Forces version of Alice.
Dada.
Popularity of Poison even though I wasn't wild about Trash.
TLT packaged along with comic book.
Induction in the Hall of Fame.

I hated the comeback with Constrictor, the focus on metal, and the one dimensional horror image so I guess Alice fans are divided about that.

Still look forward to new releases and hearing new songs for the first time.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:47 pm

It will always be his horror side for me, always will be, nothing else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 pm

>MTV fueled the fever by showing classic Alice clips, interviews, and announcing the Halloween concert.

Also, it seemed as though in almost every interview, Dee Snider would mention Alice or Alice would be mentioned in relation to some of the other bands who were emerging at around that time (W. A. S. P. and Motley Crue for example) and in relation to Ozzy Osbourne as well.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 pm

It's impossible for me to narrow it down to just one, so here's a load!

ACG:
Setting eyes on them for the first time ever in Sounds circa 1971 - I was hooked.

School's Out getting to number one in the UK - resulting in loads of airplay and THAT TOTP appearance. (The rictus grin on Tony Blackburn's face when he had to announce them was priceless.)

Killer - I used to stare at the cover for hours. As for the music - awesome.

BDB album - getting to number one; Nick Kent's fantastic NME review; Abse, Whitehouse and the tabloids taking it all at face value. Best of all, the woman in my local record shop refusing to play it as she deemed it 'disgraceful' - I was thrilled!!

Hall Of Fame/W2MN -just reward at last and good to see them working together again.

AC:
WTMN - brilliant album, back in UK top 20 and some ace UK concerts.

The Muppet Show and FTI - one hilarious appearance and one awesome record.

Poison/Trash getting to UK number 2 - Alice was back! (I hated the album though!)

Alice having continued chart success with Hey Stoopid and TLT - both top ten UK; plus six further UK top 40 singles after Poison.

Since the brilliant Brutal Planet album/stageshow, Alice's determination to continue regularly touring and releasing records. Plus he comes over as such an articulate, intelligent, thoughtful and well-grounded person - the very opposite of the arrogant rockstar.

Oh, and the fantastic reception he got at Cropredy.

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:07 am

Although musically not my favourite, I was thrilled about "Trash", because it brought him into the top 10 for the first time in ? years, and brought him on tour for me to see, at age 17 to boot.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:49 am

My favorite highlight of Alice's career is every time he releases a new album....every time!
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:24 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>MTV fueled the fever by showing classic Alice clips, interviews, and announcing the Halloween concert.

Also, it seemed as though in almost every interview, Dee Snider would mention Alice or Alice would be mentioned in relation to some of the other bands who were emerging at around that time (W. A. S. P. and Motley Crue for example) and in relation to Ozzy Osbourne as well.

Wow, you're right! Forgot about that. Good memory! Seemed like every time Ozzy did something outrageous, it was measured by the Alice Cooper stick.

Another great moment was being in the theater for Wayne's World. When Alice took the screen, the audience seemed to be overcome by silence. When he did the "Kiss my ring" thing, it turned into explosive laughter. It felt like a personal triumph.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:24 am

Getting my first copy of Pretties for You after searching for years. That album was taking on mythological proportions until then. Coukldn't listen to anything else for a couple of weeks after.

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 am

Oh, and the fantastic reception he got at Cropredy.

YES! That was awesome, I was so proud, lol! :clap:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 am

Good thread here and have to list several highlights, I'm afraid!
1-Hearing "School's Out" for the first time-it all starts here! And getting all those fantastic albums only made things better.
2-THE MUPPET SHOW and FTI-As Concolz mentioned, great show (funny as well)and a much better album then the last few.
3-CONSTRICTOR-As Andy pointed out, lots of references to Alice in articles about Ozzy/Motley Crue etc before this album and as Dannorama listed, the excitement of the evil Alice re-emerging with so much more press than years previously (so many articles for my scrapbooks) and FINALLY seeing him in November 1986 with all the great things he mentioned in the show, one of his best (Also saw him five weeks later in Baltimore with my brother who had a great time at his first AC show.I very kindly let him borrow my binoculars for the guillotine so he could see it close up like I had in Fairfax VA and wife). Album isn't all that great, but he was rocking harder and more attention was focused on him.
4-"Poison"-A fantastic single which brought him to a bigger fan base as did the album, even if I find it puerile as best.
5-THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER-After a pretty lean decade, covered in full on the site, was great to have this come out FINALLY, almost five years after hearing about it. TLT helped to fill the waiting as it's a stellar album.
6-Being five rows from the stage on the 2002 DRAGONTOWN tour with the loyal/lovable Igster in tow!
7-Meeting Neal, Mike and Dennis/Cindy at Chiller and having my photo taken with the three guys which hangs on the "Wall of Fame" in the living room-I felt like a 13 year old again. Just wish I could have met Glen... :(
8-Meeting Old AC himself at Monster-Mania. Like MB, DD/CD and NS (Who I got to talk to again the next day) very nice, funny and personable which only made me love him/them even more.
9-FINALLY The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame got it right!..Talked with Cindy at MM and told her I felt it should be the WHOLE band and she agreed. Also OLD SCHOOL 1964-74 came out and just fine for me as well as WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE, so 2011, though not the best year for me personally, was a good year Cooper wise.
10-Winding this all up, getting to see Alice after more than ten years again this Summer and still finding him a consumate performer and nice hearing some songs I had not ever heard live as well as seeing Dennis at the great Blue Coupe show a month or so later.
Maybe we need a Not So Bad part of Alice's career post... :)
"I need everything the world owes me..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am

>Maybe we need a Not So Bad part of Alice's career post...

Exactly. While Alice's career hasn't always been one spectacular success aftr another, some people around here definitely need to acquire some perspective or something.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 am

Quite true, Andy. While I'm a huge fan, he has had his fair share of clunkers, but considering how long he's been a performer, his track record is better than most of his peers. I find it refreshing he's always been willing to take chances with material and stay as active as he is.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:14 pm

One thing really stands out for me, it may not mean anything to anyone else but what the hell here goes...

Summer 2001, Brutal Planet Tour, Bournemouth BIC

A few weeks before the concert I fell ill with glandular fever. I literally thought it was going to be end of me (such was the apparant suffering). I remember the doctor coming round and my asking if I had any chance of getting better in time for the concert. He said it was 50/50.

As luck would have it, I was a lot better when the night came round and did my usual thing of getting to the venue about 4 hours before the gates opened and getting right to the front. The problem was that I wasn't really that much better and half way through the warm-up (think it was Dio) I passed out and got taken outside by my friend.

I began to feel better and managed to get back inside the hall just before the show started. Luckily, I'm quite tall so had no problem seeing the action from Row ZZ. To my surprise, watching from this position was something quite special. I was able to really take the concert in and watched a majestic Alice run through a set that he was now so familiar with. Everything operated like clockwork and the sound was simply superb.

I'd watched the same show a year before (from the front) in Portsmouth but it's this show that sticks in the memory the most. These days I try to watch 1 from the front then 1 from the back as they're 2 totally different experiences. It also provides an insight into how the stage designs, costumes and props need to accomodate people at the front, middle and back. In particular, the visual imapct and sheer brightness of 'that coat' was something truely special.

Very happy memory!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:18 pm

>It also provides an insight into how the stage designs, costumes and props need to accomodate people at the front, middle and back.

Absoluely correct.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:39 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:One thing really stands out for me, it may not mean anything to anyone else but what the hell here goes...

A few weeks before the concert I fell ill with glandular fever. I literally thought it was going to be end of me (such was the apparant suffering). I remember the doctor coming round and my asking if I had any chance of getting better in time for the concert. He said it was 50/50.

As luck would have it, I was a lot better when the night came round and did my usual thing of getting to the venue about 4 hours before the gates opened and getting right to the front. The problem was that I wasn't really that much better and half way through the warm-up (think it was Dio) I passed out and got taken outside by my friend.

I began to feel better and managed to get back inside the hall just before the show started. Luckily, I'm quite tall so had no problem seeing the action from Row ZZ. To my surprise, watching from this position was something quite special. I was able to really take the concert in and watched a majestic Alice run through a set that he was now so familiar with. Everything operated like clockwork and the sound was simply superb.

I'd watched the same show a year before (from the front) in Portsmouth but it's this show that sticks in the memory the most. These days I try to watch 1 from the front then 1 from the back as they're 2 totally different experiences. It also provides an insight into how the stage designs, costumes and props need to accomodate people at the front, middle and back. In particular, the visual imapct and sheer brightness of 'that coat' was something truely special.

Very happy memory!
Glad it's a good memory, but sorry you were so sick :( . You are absolutely right about how the show can look different from the back of the venue. For my first CONSTRICTOR show, we were pretty close (off to the left of the stage) and really good view for all of it. When I took my brother and wife to see the second show in Baltimore, there was no security whatsoever and could not see the show at all even my brother who is quite tall also (6'3" to my spindly 5'9"), so to see ANYTHING, we went towards the back and sat on the railing and since had seen the show a month ago, I focused more on how the stage looked and how lights and effects/props heightened a particular song, as well as seeing more road crew close by ready to address any problems that might arise. Also, during Kane Robert's solo during "School's Out", saw Alice crouch down out of sight for fans closer to the stage and drink a couple of cups of water or Diet Coke as he said in interviews how it had replaced Budweiser for him.
Was way in the back for the AC/MM show, but could appreciate the stage set up and utilize the big screen in front of me.

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:48 pm

My personal highlights are -I purchased Schools out before I had even heard it on a recommendation of a friend, but once I had played -bam hooked ever since.
Seeing him for the first time live at the Hammersmith Odeon Feb '82.
Meeting him in 2009 in Brighton and again In Phoenix 2010 along with Sheryl.
Meeting Dennis Dunaway and Shep Gordon in Cooperstown.
meeting with Brian Nelson on various occasions and being able to purchase some great Alice items from him-God bless you Ren.
Having the good fortune to have met Toby, Ryan, Chuck, Orianthi, Tommy and Glen.
Being part of the family of SickthingsUK- Thanks Si for allowing me in and keeping us all so well informed in all things Alice. Oh, and my pal Andy Michael for his knowledge and kindness, and for keeping so many of you on your toes with his masterful skills of debate...

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 pm

That's great that you all had so many highlights and great experiences about Alice's career.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:59 am

tuneylune wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:One thing really stands out for me, it may not mean anything to anyone else but what the hell here goes...

Very happy memory!
Glad it's a good memory, but sorry you were so sick :( . You are absolutely right about how the show can look different from the back of the venue. For my first CONSTRICTOR show, we were pretty close (off to the left of the stage) and really good view for all of it. When I took my brother and wife to see the second show in Baltimore, there was no security whatsoever and could not see the show at all even my brother who is quite tall also (6'3" to my spindly 5'9"), so to see ANYTHING, we went towards the back and sat on the railing and since had seen the show a month ago, I focused more on how the stage looked and how lights and effects/props heightened a particular song, as well as seeing more road crew close by ready to address any problems that might arise. Also, during Kane Robert's solo during "School's Out", saw Alice crouch down out of sight for fans closer to the stage and drink a couple of cups of water or Diet Coke as he said in interviews how it had replaced Budweiser for him.
Was way in the back for the AC/MM show, but could appreciate the stage set up and utilize the big screen in front of me.
Yeah, you get it dude. Very different experiences to be had so good to mix things up a bit.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order