Your biggest disappointment in Alice's career

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tim10cc
Killer
Killer

Your biggest disappointment in Alice's career

Post by tim10cc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 pm

What is your biggest disappointment in Alice's career ?

Could it be the departure of the ACG?

Was it Lace & Whiskey?

Was it a certain television appearances or a particular song or tour or interview ?

You name it... Agreeing or disagreeing with someones view and opinion is fine, but let not belittle or insult anyone and turn it into a giant bitch session.

Here is my biggest disappointment.....

I was super stoked about a W2MN theatrical tour. After playing W2MN over and over I could only imagine what could of been done on stage.

Unfortunately that is where that concert will forever live, in my head. Currently I am ready for Alice's next chapter, what he will record, what will future tours be like, and I am excited.
The road to hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Your biggest disappointment in Alice's career

Post by recoop » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:48 pm

When I heard No More Love at Your Convenience
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 pm

The show in Chile. Nothing left to say

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:32 pm

The highs vastly outnumber any lows but we can always grumble. Here goes:

ACG Muscle Of Love album - from the sublime to the downright ordinary in one fell swoop. Woman Machine is as dull as ditchwater.

AC The hair-metal years. Exhibit A in any 'crimes against music' trial.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 pm

I agree with the highs outweigh the lows and I concur with these:

"ACG Muscle Of Love album - from the sublime to the downright ordinary in one fell swoop. Woman Machine is as dull as dishwater.

AC The hair-metal years. Exhibit A in any 'crimes against music' trial."

As a whole I was disappointed by the mid and late 70s when Alice started to change his image from a wild and rebellious rock star to a show biz performer. It was an unpleasant era that had several low points including one hit ballad after another, chickens with machine guns, Bob Greene's B$B book, and other stuff too. I hung in there but it wasn't easy. Like I mentioned in another thread, FTI brought me back.

danielleV
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by danielleV » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 pm

i am really one of his fans who CANNOT find ANY disapointment in Alice. Impossible.
"I know Danielle!", Alice Cooper, Paris 2017

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I was disappointed to learn that Alice puts his pants on just like everyone else! (And I hear his farts don't smell like roses either.)

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:19 am

ACG -the break up
AC - the ballads/ chickens on the stage (sorry Si)

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:32 am

I'd have to say the late 70s. Each album has something I like, but after WTNM the albums start to sound uniform. We need a ballad, we need and edgy guitar song here ect ect ect. I get most bored with those late 70s albums.
I'm swimming in blood.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:35 am

1) The Band breaking up
2) The band not touring the UK with BDB's
3) No re-union shows after WTMN2
4) FTI
5) Constrictor ( hard to believe he could write such average lyrics )
6) Shep Gordon hiring inept lawyers who lost the bands publishing and cost them all a ton of money.
7) Alice not paying Dennis's medical bills when he was really ill with Crohn's.
8) The Old School Box Set apart from the packaging and the St Louis cd.
9) Dragon Town following up Brutal Planet
10) The stage show becoming boring and bland.
11) The dopey vodacoder or whatever it's called on WTMN2.

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:08 am

The lack of even a small (Pheonix/Detroit/LA/Toronto, for example) reunion tour, that would have been nice.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:50 am

pitkin88 wrote: 6) Shep Gordon hiring inept lawyers who lost the bands publishing and cost them all a ton of money.
It's common for a song publisher to get 50% of performance royalties as currently is the case with the bands biggest hit School's Out and even though the share ownership is currently to be confirmed the other 50% is equally split between the original band members with 10% each being collected on their behalf by BMI.

Every time the song is played on the radio and Alice plays it live Dennis, Michael, Neal and the Glen Buxton estate get paid the same 10% as Alice as they are all listed as equal co writers.

As a PRS member which is affiliated with BMI , ASCAP etc... I can tell you this for a fact as I have access to their database.

Mechanical royalties (record sales) in the case of School's Out are non society, ie not collected by PRS, BMI, ASCAP etc...

The band would have made a lot of money from School's Out when it became the biggest selling single in Warner Bros history and money is still coming in for all the original band members on that song alone and quite rightly too.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:23 am

steven_crayn wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: 6) Shep Gordon hiring inept lawyers who lost the bands publishing and cost them all a ton of money.
It's common for a song publisher to get 50% of performance royalties as currently is the case with the bands biggest hit School's Out and even though the share ownership is currently to be confirmed the other 50% is equally split between the original band members with 10% each being collected on their behalf by BMI.

Every time the song is played on the radio and Alice plays it live Dennis, Michael, Neal and the Glen Buxton estate get paid the same 10% as Alice as they are all listed as equal co writers.

As a PRS member which is affiliated with BMI , ASCAP etc... I can tell you this for a fact as I have access to their database.

Mechanical royalties (record sales) in the case of School's Out are non society, ie not collected by PRS, BMI, ASCAP etc...

The band would have made a lot of money from School's Out when it became the biggest selling single in Warner Bros history and money is still coming in for all the original band members on that song alone and quite rightly too.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Did this bad piece of business cost them a lot of money or not?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 am

>6) Shep Gordon hiring inept lawyers who lost the bands publishing and cost them all a ton of money.

I think you're referring to the lawsuit in 1973 or 1974 and if so, what you don't know and are assuming (because you're repeating what you've read) is that the lawsuit was about the rights to the songs but it was not. That issue did inded become part of the settlement of a wider issue. It was not what the lawsuit was about.

>7) Alice not paying Dennis's medical bills when he was really ill with Crohn's.

How is that any of your business? How do you know Dennis didn't have insurance?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:22 am

>Did this bad piece of business cost them a lot of money or not?

Which "bad piece of business" are you referring to? The "business" in 1968 when the band signed with Bizarre and because the band had no power, Bizarre wanted ALL of the publishing until Shep managed to salvage a portion of it? Again, you don't know all the facts.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:27 am

I'm with andy on dennis dunaway's medical bills....even if that was true,what the heck does that have to do with his career? if he payed them in full,how does this make his career better? very strange statement.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 am

Was dissapointed in reading about the ACG breakup and just when I was getting into them too in 1975 at age 13! This seems to happen to me a lot-Got into Black Sabbath right after Ozzy was let go and AC/DC a couple of months before Bon died
Biggest let down by far was THE ALICE COOPER SHOW. Of course, back then did not know all the facts and if released as the full show, would more than likely grab it.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:58 am

Lucius Morthem wrote:The show in Chile. Nothing left to say
Well, say something! You can't offer something so tantalizing without giving us reasons why? Set list bad, crowd problems, crap seats, etc??
"I need everything the world owes me..."

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

When was Alice in Chile? I use to live in Santiago. McCartney came, but the tix were so expensive. I could hear the show from my balcony.
I'm swimming in blood.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:16 pm

>When was Alice in Chile?

There was supposed to be a show there in 2011 but it was cancelled. I think that is what Lucius Morthem is referring to.