Not this time

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Not this time

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:57 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:> Would that be even remotely conceivable from a cost / organisational perspective if subject to minimal props and during an already planned trip to the UK with the band?

How much is the ticket price going to be? Also, you’re assuming the artist makes these decisions.

>The comparison I guess is the Club 100 gig from 2 years ago where a decision was made by someone (Alice?) to perform material that was not in keeping with the tour at the time.

Yes, but that was done primarily for fun and to create some ‘buzz’ for the album and the box set but fun doesn’t pay the bills. The fact that something like that happens so rarely tells you all you need to know.

>As you rightly point out, only a select bunch would attend a full tour of diverse material. However, I'd be keen to understand what the barriers were to something like the above. I assume a mixture of overall appetite and essentially having to work harder for less reward?

It is primarily about the economics of a situation and it would be naïve to think that is not the case - that’s why it’s called ‘the music business’ not ‘the fun business’.
Thanks Andy, as always you've taken the time and effort to provide a logical and insightful reply. It really is appreciated.

As you have eluded to, Alice might actually want to do more unique shows but the realities of life mean this isn't possible much of the time. This is a point we must all do better to understand.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Exactly how many times does this subject need to be discussed on this board?!

If you don't like the current show, don't go to it. End of.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:41 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>What if... Alice came out and played "Pretties For You" and "Easy Action" in their entirety? Sure the hardcore fans would say "Yes!!!!"

If that did happen, pretty much the only people at the shows would be "the hardcore fans" and if that happened, he would be performing in smaller venues than he already does and making much less money than he already does which would make it less likely there would be any more tours. Is that really people here want? This has been discussed MANY times before on this site.
Thanks for completing my thought. I was using the PFY & EA tour spin as an example of what would be a financial disaster and have low attendance. As I referenced with the J.C. Fogerty show the crowd that showed up for PFY & EA would leave complaining that Cooper didn't play any "Hits"! Fans use this site to vent and discuss with like-minded individuals. Accolades and gripes sometimes go hand in hand. An Alice Cooper concert is a great event and should not be missed by anyone! :clap:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for the informative reply to my question Andy-to be truthful I am not good with a lot of the technology you mentioned: in the jargon: I am a digital "immigrant" rather than the younger generation who are digital "natives". I had not appreciated the financial impact.
I think your information poses a further issue for some artists who I believe could well get their fingers burned- I know a lot of people who have attended gigs regularly for decades who are now starting to think long and hard about going to gigs with the cost of some tickets e.g a mate of mine has refused to pay the current ticket prices for Billy Joel and he is a huge fan, similarly people I knew couldn't afford the Status Quo reunion tickets despite desperately wanting to go as they had been such big fans of the original line up in the 70's. It could well be that like everybody else in this recession, some artists will need to cut their anticipated profits. As you say it is a business but a lot of businesses are running on much tighter margins right now just to stay afloat. Why should "superstar" musicians be any different? These comments of course don't apply to Alice concerts because ticket prices are for me still far from prohibitive-sadly not something that can always be said.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Anyone who misses an Alice Cooper concert is sad. Their lives are an empty abyss of nothing because the unique visual stimuli that Alice presents through is concerts is unavailable in this world. It's literally a barren wasteland....I mean, there is visual bands....like Ghost, Rammstein, King Diamond, GWAR, Marilyn Manson, Lizzy Borden....but, really? Is that a choice?

Just accept it: Alice is in the top of his class and school is in session.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:00 pm

> Why should "superstar" musicians be any different? These comments of course don't apply to Alice concerts because ticket prices are for me still far from prohibitive-sadly not something that can always be said.

Well, that's a broader issue than should be covered in this thread, but those are all valid points.

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:08 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Anyone who misses an Alice Cooper concert is sad. Their lives are an empty abyss of nothing because the unique visual stimuli that Alice presents through is concerts is unavailable in this world. It's literally a barren wasteland....I mean, there is visual bands....like Ghost, Rammstein, King Diamond, GWAR, Marilyn Manson, Lizzy Borden....but, really? Is that a choice?

Well since I have been unemployed for the last 13 months and am on unemployment, I couldn't go to any concert. If that makes me "sad", so be it. Now unless you are willing to pay for a ticket and travel expenses, I am not so sure you should be making blanket statements like that. You do know some people have legitimate reasons for not going and to just dismiss them as your statement does, doesn't seem quite fair.
Progressives are scariest thing on the planet.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Agree with Loomis, being out of work makes demands on what money i can spend, as much as i want to see Alice, or other singers/groups, i simply cannot afford it.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:49 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Anyone who misses an Alice Cooper concert is sad. Their lives are an empty abyss of nothing because the unique visual stimuli that Alice presents through is concerts is unavailable in this world. It's literally a barren wasteland....I mean, there is visual bands....like Ghost, Rammstein, King Diamond, GWAR, Marilyn Manson, Lizzy Borden....but, really? Is that a choice?

Sounds like someone is trying to be elected Fan of the Year....again. Sorry, but the polls are closed and you didn't win...again!

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Anyone who misses an Alice Cooper concert is sad.
Gee, that's not at all patronising

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:40 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:Exactly how many times does this subject need to be discussed on this board?!

My reply is that if you don't want to participate in a discussion you just don;t answer or read it.
What is wrong with a discussion even if done before. There are always new fans and people can change their point of vieuw.
For me this a reason to be on this excellent website.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:47 am

mestreech wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:Exactly how many times does this subject need to be discussed on this board?!
My reply is that if you don't want to participate in a discussion you just don;t answer or read it.
What is wrong with a discussion even if done before. There are always new fans and people can change their point of vieuw.
--------------

I totally agree: as long as nobody asks if Alice really did kill a chicken on stage.. :evil:

seriously: this is a very good website and we are lucky to have some real experts on it who give us more insight in the whole AC story than we can dream off.
you really wouldn't understand..

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:58 pm

mestreech wrote:

But you are adding nothing new to the discussion. What's the point in everyone repeating the same old thing when it has been discussed countless times in recent memory?

tim10cc
Killer
Killer

Post by tim10cc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:37 pm

You are the only censor if you don't like what I say you have a choice you can turn me off
The road to hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:37 pm

While I agree that the Raise The Dead show had a disappointing setlist, I can't say the same for the previous two tours. NMMNG and TOD had a lot of great songs that hadn't beebn played in years.
TOD had rare gems like Guilty, Nurse Rozetta and The Awakening. NMMNG had Hey Stoopid, Brutal Planet, Clones, Halo Of Flies and Black Widow.
Despite the fact that the setlist for RTD isn't great, it's still a fun show and I loved every minute of it when I saw him in Bouremouth last Halloween.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Desperado22 wrote:Despite the fact that the setlist for RTD isn't great, it's still a fun show and I loved every minute of it when I saw him in Bouremouth last Halloween.
I think "House of Fire" and "He's Back" are pretty cool tunes in the set. I really hope the are back for the solo shows. I love "Caffeine" in the set too.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 am

tim10cc wrote:You are the only censor if you don't like what I say you have a choice you can turn me off
Or do as you did on the Sick Things facebook group and repeat your opinions over and over again, and once someone disagreed with you, you private messaged them with personal insults.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Desperado22 wrote:While I agree that the Raise The Dead show had a disappointing setlist, I can't say the same for the previous two tours.
Speaking mainly for the four cover songs that many (but not all) felt as unnecessary, I saw it as an opportunity to see Alice perform songs from The Beatles, The Who, Jimi Hendrix and The Doors; people Alice has verbalized his respect for over and over again in interviews; songs I'd likely never see live under normal circumstances. It made for a more intimate part of the setlist IMO. And having been up front for two shows on that tour, Alice was not mailing it in; I'd guess (though have no way of knowing for sure) he even gave it extra than his normally-extra effort given that these were his close pals at one point in his life.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Clearly, GNDM, I am on your mind, because you took your time to dedicate a post just to me. So, I am winning some award....otherwise, you would say nothing. So, I win... :p
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:43 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Clearly, GNDM, I am on your mind, because you took your time to dedicate a post just to me. So, I am winning some award....otherwise, you would say nothing. So, I win... :p
Briefly....IF you have the intelligence and ability to go back and check this thread....you will find at least two other people commenting on your original post.