The Alice Cooper album of the Day:WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day:WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE

Post by I'm Pain » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 am

> Well, sometimes it takes people a little longer to explain what they mean then one would expect.

Well, sometimes simple adjectives like "silly" can cause excruciating confusion in some people, and long drawn out explanations of very simple statements are needed.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:32 am

GailsFriend wrote:ALICE COOPER IS SUPPOSED TO BE UPSETTING....HE HAS A JOB TO DO, AND DOES IT VERY WELL.

If Alice were reading this discussion on his computer, he would be planning the next album and how to infuriate everyone all over again while fiendishly laughing...just like he has been doing for the 45 years. Is he gonna change? Why start now?:teach:
I don't think Alice upsets many people today....except for some of his fans who think that their ideas about what he should, or should not do, need to be in compliance with those ideas. I also feel that Alice no longer sets out to frustrate or infuriate everyone. That would be counter-productive in attempting to achieve anything in today's environment. The band use to do that...but it is harder/trickery to startle or infuriate today.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 am

>Well, sometimes simple adjectives like "silly" can cause excruciating confusion in some people, and long drawn out explanations of very simple statements are needed.

Not when "silly" can refer to something good as well as something bad. I think you understand that. Maybe you're pretending not to.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:26 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Well, sometimes simple adjectives like "silly" can cause excruciating confusion in some people, and long drawn out explanations of very simple statements are needed.

Not when "silly" can refer to something good as well as something bad. I think you understand that. Maybe you're pretending not to.
That's why it's best to read the entire sentence (and problematic word) and relate it to the context of the paragraph and it's tone. Adjectives can be tricky. You can't rely on just looking at the word itself - this may be the root of your dilemma with what I stated.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:11 pm

>That's why it's best to read the entire sentence (and problematic word) and relate it to the context of the paragraph and it's tone.

I did exactly that, which is why I gave an example of at least one other "silly" song (the same with your use of the word "mature", as well).

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:30 pm

GNDM wrote:
GailsFriend wrote:ALICE COOPER IS SUPPOSED TO BE UPSETTING....HE HAS A JOB TO DO, AND DOES IT VERY WELL.

If Alice were reading this discussion on his computer, he would be planning the next album and how to infuriate everyone all over again while fiendishly laughing...just like he has been doing for the 45 years. Is he gonna change? Why start now?:teach:
I don't think Alice upsets many people today....except for some of his fans who think that their ideas about what he should, or should not do, need to be in compliance with those ideas. I also feel that Alice no longer sets out to frustrate or infuriate everyone. That would be counter-productive in attempting to achieve anything in today's environment. The band use to do that...but it is harder/trickery to startle or infuriate today.

The only thing this AC fan thinks he should do, is release a good album. And the only thing remotely infuriating about AC is the sickophants that turn this board into a useless pile of rubble.

I'm disappointed with AC's output over the last 10 years but hardly enraged. All it means is I now take a pass on going to see his shows. The last concert of his I went to was the one with Rob Zombie. W2MN is likely the last AC album I'll buy, save for any worthwhile archival release or maybe a full blown reunited ACG record. Lots of great music to listen to and other artists I prefer. I just have a thirty year + history with AC music, so I'll always have a soft spot for much of his music.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Bob, I find it quite sad that you wouldn't take a punt on another Alice Cooper album, should it be released. I have no issue with you not liking anything from the last 10 years (that's your opinion) but do you really have no faith in him being able to pull off another album that you like? What would persuade you to buy another album, good reviews or a concept / theme that you like?

Out of interest, why wouldn't you see him again live? He sets are usually 90% pre-2003 material anyway aren't they?

I'm not trolling by the way, I'm genuinely keen to understand your position better.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 pm

>And the only thing remotely infuriating about AC is the sickophants that turn this board into a useless pile of rubble.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but in the space of a day or so, you've referred to people that happen to like the album pretty much as idiots and now as sycophants. Just take a moment and think about that. You don't need to reply or anything, but it is an interesting and superior attitude that you seem to have.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:33 pm

>I'm genuinely keen to understand your position better.

Good luck with that.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
Diane D. wrote:Hi ''I'm Pain'',

Question for you. You said that you didn't like this album, right?
Would you tell Alice, in person, in his own face, like in a VIP, Meet and Greet, that you don't like his album? Would you have the guts to do it? Would you explain to him which songs you liked and which songs you didn't like? I know that it's not everybody that can afford a Meet and Greet, but if you can,I think that it will be better to do that, than to rant about it on this Forum or on social networks, and waiting for the advice of therapist Andy, here. As for me, this album is something to forgive and forget. Good luck to you, ''I'm Pain''.
What an abysmal attitude. Someone says they don't like W2MN and it comes down to "wouldya say that to Alice's face?" If I ever spent the money and had a chance for a face to face with AC, I'm not going to use that opportunity to lay out what I don't like about him or his music. I would keep it light, frindly and positive. What kind of idiot would use that time to be negative/critical or confrontational?

W2MN stinks on ice. A couple of interesting tracks but not worthy as a companion piece to the original. The sequal thing was a gimmick - nothing more. Ditto for Ezrin lending his name to the project. All you folks who bought the various versions/formats were played. I extracted the few decent tunes on it along with the few decent tracks on the last three albums and made a compilation disc for the car. That will be the only thing that I'll ever spin.

If Alice ever wanted to come on this board and discuss the merits of W2MN or any other album - I would gladly exchange ideas and pull no punches (but still be respectful). But pay money for a rare opportunity to meet Alice - then just lay into him? Ridiculous.

There are sicko-phants here that wouldn't know a bad AC album if came up and slapped them.
Abysmal... Interesting word. You didn't get what I was saying. My point was that, if anybody has a question, a complaint or good things to say about this album, that person should tell it to Alice, in person, INSTEAD of ranting on this forum or on social networks. I agree, gladly exchange ideas in a funny way, and tell him what you really want from his albums. The worst that can happen is that he won't discuss with you.
[

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:34 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>That's why it's best to read the entire sentence (and problematic word) and relate it to the context of the paragraph and it's tone.

I did exactly that, which is why I gave an example of at least one other "silly" song (the same with your use of the word "mature", as well).
Yes you did. Then I went on to explain that my problem was with the maturity level of the humor in Ghouls Gone Wild - using your suggestion of "I Love the Dead" (your idea of a silly song - not mine) to illustrate my point. Looking back over what I wrote, I have no idea how you can't understand what I was trying to say. Your assumption that the humor sphere of Ghouls Gone Wild somehow escapes me is ridiculous. You're really reaching there.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 am

>my problem was with the maturity level of the humor in Ghouls Gone Wild - using your suggestion of "I Love the Dead" (your idea of a silly song - not mine) to illustrate my point.

It wasn’t much of an explanation. It seemed to boil down to something about you preferring Hammer to Disney (actually the song is closer to The Beach Boys or surf music, than Disney but I’ll leave that aside) and that reminds me, since you mention “maturity” again, that you never addressed my earlier response on this. How are songs like, "I Love The Dead", "Muscle Of Love", "Working Up A Sweat" or "Cold Ethyl" any more mature than “Ghouls Gone Wild” is? Do you have a mathematical formula for how much or what kind of "maturity" is tolerable?

> Looking back over what I wrote, I have no idea how you can't understand what I was trying to say. Your assumption that the humor sphere of Ghouls Gone Wild somehow escapes me is ridiculous. You're really reaching there.

No. What “escapes me” is how you can apply varying degrees of silliness or “maturity” from one song to another as if that’s the way you listen to music (which I assume it is not). It is almost as if you are saying those are valid reasons to like some songs and those are equally valid reasons to dislike other songs. It really doesn’t make sense to me when there are so many other factors that go into a piece of music rather than just where or not it is “silly”. The “humor” aspect (if you’re an open - minded and reasonable person) should only be one factor in your judgement about what is essentially a piece of 'ear candy' - that’s really all I’m saying.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:49 am

>INSTEAD of ranting on this forum or on social networks.

You are completely wrong. A "forum" is a place for discussion and debate. That is what we're doing.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

>It seemed to boil down to something about you preferring Hammer to Disney.

Yes! That's it exactly! :clap:

>Do you have a mathematical formula for how much or what kind of maturity is tolerable?

None needed. :teach:

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:37 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>INSTEAD of ranting on this forum or on social networks.

You are completely wrong. A "forum" is a place for discussion and debate. That is what we're doing.

Sure... Discussion and debat is fine. But some people are ranting and fabulating around here. The truth, please.
[

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 pm

>The truth, please.

About what?

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:12 pm

I think it's a rhetorical statement.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:34 pm

children! children....children.....can't we all just get along? Oi vey! Geez! Everyone just calm down and listen to a collection of Alice Cooper ballads....deep breathe.....relax.... :yawn:
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:13 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>The truth, please.

About what?
O.K.... Let's start about you, Andy. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about Alice's career. Are you just a very well informed fan or do you work in Alice's entourage? And don't answer me with a question.
[

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:27 pm

>Are you just a very well informed fan

Yes.

> or do you work in Alice's entourage?

Not in any official capacity.