Alice solo tracks that are now classics in your opinion

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Alice solo tracks that are now classics in your opinion

Post by recoop » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21 am

As a long standing fan, I take the view that the 71-74 period was Classic Alice..I still enjoy the solo stuff..and I have been reflecting on tracks that I regard as Cooper Classics from the solo years..for me "What do you want from me" from Eyes is classicin the same way as most of the content of LITD/Killer from 71..In fact I feel it could almost have been created by the original band in sound terms and the lyrical sarcasm is there from the early 70s..I have just watched it live on youtube (apparently from Montreux DVD-forgot it was on there-great facial expressions from Alice)..there are other tracks I feel are also classic but will leave it to you to add your own. Any solo songs that have grown on you and become classic?
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice solo tracks that are now classics in your opinion

Post by Gunner » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Good topic.

I would say 'almost countless', I consider a lot af Alice's solo work as classic really.

Nearly ALL Welcome to my Nightmare is considered classic.

I Never Cry, Go To Hell, You and Me, From the Inside, Nurse Rozetta, Serious, How you gonna see me now, Pain, Clones, Who do you think we are? 7 & 7 is, I am the future, Tag you're it, Dada, Formerly Warmer, I love America, Pass the gun around, He's Back, Freedom, that trilogy at the end of RYFAY, Poison, Nothing's Free, Is anyone home, Brutal Planet, Pick up the bones, What do you want from me, Spirits rebellious, House is haunted, I am made of you, Under the bed etc etc etc LOADS!!

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 pm

I think Poison is a classic like few other songs of the era. It might not be the favorite piece of his among the hard core fans of AC, by a long shot. But it's one of the biggest songs of a whole decade and an era of rock. Instantly recognizable and universally known even now. By people over 30 at least. :rotfl:

Anyway, Poison might be a classic of the genre, but not necessarily a classic AC piece?

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm

This is a great question, Recoop! :clap: :clap: -I have a whole lot that I enjoy, but the top picks would be all of NIGHTMARE, "I Never Cry", "It's Hot Tonight", "Lace and Whiskey", "Wish I was Born in Beverly Hills", "Serious", "How You Gonna See Me Now", "Clones", "Leather Boots", "Model Citizen", "Who do You Think We Are", "Adaptable", "I Like Girls", "Tag, You're It", "Dada", "No Man's Land", "Teenage Frankenstein", "Life and the Death of The Party", "Freedom","Gail", "Poison", "Bed of Nails", "Hey Stoopid", "Might as Well be on Mars", all of TLT, "Is Anybody Home", all of BP, "Fantasy Man","What Do You want from Me", "Detroit City", all of DD, "I Know where You Live", "Vengeance is Mine", "I Am Made of You", "Caffiene", "Runaway Train", "I'll Bite Your Face Off", "When Hell Comes Home" and "What Baby wants"
:smack: Ooops! Forgot "Identity Criseses", "No Tricks" and "Hard Rock Summer"!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

danielleV
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by danielleV » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:32 pm

"the ballad of Dwight Fry".
I cant live without it. Specially on stage.
And
"Wicked young man"
For another reason.
"I know Danielle!", Alice Cooper, Paris 2017

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:38 pm

For the public at large it would be stuff on Welcome to My Nightmare as well as Poison and Feed My Frankenstein. In my book I'd add:

Go to Hell
Clones
Talk Talk
Former Lee Warmer
Pass the Gun Around
He's Back
Prince of Darkness
Bed of Nails
Might as Well Be on Mars
I Love America
Brutal Planet
Gimme
Every Woman Has a Name
Man of the Year
Dirty Diamonds
Vengeance is Mine
Caffeine
When Hell Comes Home

For my own personal show I'd love this as a set list.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:16 am

Welcome To My Nightmare
Only Women Bleed
Go To Hell
I Never Cry
Department Of Youth
From The Inside
Freedom
Clones
Poison
He's Back
House Of Fire
Hey Stoopid
Guilty
Vengeance is mine
I'll Bite your face off
Caffeine
Something to remember me by
Runaway train
Feed My Frankenstein
Might As Well Be On Mars
Lost In America
Woman Of Mass Distraction
Black Widow
Former Lee Warmer
Novacaine
Brutal Planet
Sex, Death and Money
Teenage Frankenstein
You and Me
What Do You Want From Me
Dirty Diamonds

And many, many more lol.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 am

I think at the end of this topic we would have 'all" Alice's songs overhere !
sometimes I think Alice could have had more "classicks", to be known by "everyone" (not the specific Alice fan only) if he (or his management) would have tried to force it. For instance : Every Women Has A Name, a ballad that easily imo compares to Only Women Bleed and is just made to have airplay. Never heard it on the radio though..
So the underestimated songwriter that Alice is has missed a lot of chances to grow to a greater public than he has now. If I see how Bowie ( and his management )succeed in hyping everything that happens now (nothing against Bowie)
but then again : more than glad that these guys (especially Alice ! ) are still around ! 5 minutes ago I heard Elected and NMMNG on the radio : why should I complain :) :)

:alice:
you really wouldn't understand..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:18 am

>Never heard it on the radio though..

You can't really force someone to play something if they don't want to.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 pm

I prefer the solo Alice albums, and the sober Alice Cooper character. That's more evil and dangerous than the drunk Alice :) I love the 70-74 period, specially the Love it to Death album, but it's just a little piece of his career.
And the classics are (for me):
The Black Widow
Years Ago/Steven/Awakening
Go to Hell
I Never Cry
You And Me
From The Inside (the whole album)
Clones
Model Citizen
Who Do You Think We Are
Zorro's Ascent
I Am The Future
Make That Money
Adaptable (Anything For you)
DaDa
Former Lee Warmer
Scarlet and Sheba
Pass The Gun Around
See Mee in The Mirror
Teenage Frankenstein
He's Back (on of my live favourites)
Gail/Roses on White Lace
Poison
Bed Of Nails
Hell Is Living Without You
Hey Stoopid (The whole album)
The Last Temptation (The whole album with the comic books - It's my favourite Alice Cooper album)
Brutal Planet (The whole album)
Dragontown
Sex Death And Money
Every Woman Has a Name
Spirits Rebellious
Perfect
Dirty Diamonds (another live favourite)
Run Down The Devil
Steal That Car
Vengeance Is Mine
The One That Got Away
I Am The Spider
I Am Made Of You
Nightmare Returns
Last Man On Earth
I Gotta Get Outta Here
Under The Bed
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:48 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Never heard it on the radio though..

You can't really force someone to play something if they don't want to.
Agree, but getting airplay is not just a coincidence or being liked by the dj, not?
Making a single and tryingi to plug it at the radiostations,making a video and so on, is Alice's management still interested in it or are they satisfied with things the way they are now?
Just a reaction of a fan finding Alice is not getting the general success he deserves

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:36 pm

>Making a single and tryingi to plug it at the radiostations,making a video and so on, is Alice's management still interested in it or are they satisfied with things the way they are now?

I think you're getting confused and there are two separate issues. You're forgetting that it is primarily the responsibility of a record company to do that and secondly as far as "now" is concerned, if you think the radio is still important, you are very out of touch (and this has been discussed many times here, so I suggest you find some of those threads). Also, if you feel "Alice's management" have never promoted him (or the band) then you really don't know enough about his or the band's history (and this site would be a good place to start your education).

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Being a fan since 1971, I do know "something" about Alice, but certainly less than you.,I agree.
Let me summarise by saying that in my opinion in my country there is too little info on Alice and I wondered if there were reasons to be found. No intention to blame anyone !
Glad to have this site,btw !

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:33 am

>Let me summarise by saying that in my opinion in my country there is too little info on Alice and I wondered if there were reasons to be found.

Which period are you referring to though? Also, by "information", I think you mean 'promotion' and it also depends on which kind.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:34 pm

i look at this this way : a few days ago I read in the (internet version of) my newspaper that Bowie has a new song : that's information.
the next day I read that the album which has not appeared yet is at number one in seventeen countries : so the information we got clearly turned out to be a hughe promotion.
I wish Alice could do the same. He has a terrific song with a very Stonisch touch( I ll bite your face off). I listen to it back to back with Doom and Gloom (Stones) wishing they had the same level of success.
so bottomline : I wondered if management matters had something to do with this, but as you pointed out, things are more complicated than that !

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:43 pm

>i look at this this way : a few days ago I read in the (internet version of) my newspaper that Bowie has a new song : that's information.

Well, Alice doesn't have "a new song" so it isn't a fair comparison.

>the next day I read that the album which has not appeared yet is at number one in seventeen countries : so the information we got clearly turned out to be a hughe promotion.

Alice has no new recordings that are available, so, again, that isn't a fair comparison.

>I wish Alice could do the same. He has a terrific song with a very Stonisch touch( I ll bite your face off).

It got a fair amount of publicity when it was released. Were you paying attention? Alice did tons of interviews at the time and almost everyone mentioned it.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 am

Alice Cooper markets a lot of his stuff when it's "new" but the fact is he doesn't have the fan base as a Rolling Stones do, or the "mainstream" following so he is never going to make the TV news when he comes out with a new song, or have a song that's manufactured into a #1 hit anymore.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:02 am

Bowie's been away for 10 years though! If Alice did the same then a new release might achieve similar press no?

I'd rather have had the 4 albums that Alice has produced in that time thank you.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Well put! :clap: :clap: Like Bowie and his new material sounds interesting, but for me, nowhere near quality of DD or W2MN. Also enough on TEOAC and ACAS to make it interesting.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm

you're right:recently listened to TEOAC once again to rediscover what a strong album that is !