Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Re: Opening Night SPOILERS!!!!

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:Is there a danger of the very casual Alice fans, those that only know the hits, will think the cover songs are Alice songs?
Only if they're not very bright considering there's a voice over where Alice describes why they're playing the songs and tombstones with each artist's name projected on the back drop.
Which was mentioned esrlier in the thread, thanks for making me look foolish. :smack:
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:19 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:Is there a danger of the very casual Alice fans, those that only know the hits, will think the cover songs are Alice songs?
Only if they're not very bright considering there's a voice over where Alice describes why they're playing the songs and tombstones with each artist's name projected on the back drop.
So that will be "yes" then....

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:26 pm

For me, it is not my disappointment that the set has a severe lacking of W2MN songs. I don't care what songs he plays...as long as they are his. I can go with a cover or two (although I would prefer none). I think the general consensus is that six is way too many.

We all know of Alice's love for certain bands and the fact that he loves to do covers when he can. The club gigs he did earlier this year (or maybe it was last year) were unique and they were the time and place for this. Not his tour.

Yes Alice can do what he wants, no disputing that. His fans can too however.

This is kind of a moot point right now since there are no shows announced in my area but when the time comes, it is going to be a struggle. House of Fire would be awesome to see, but is sitting through six songs I have no desire whatsoever to see him cover going to be worth my money? If you are Alice, I don't think you want your fans to be in this kind of scenario. If we are feeling this way, how do you think the casual concert goers are going to feel when they catch wind of it.

Hoping things get changed up.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Si wrote:So that will be "yes" then....
:laugh:
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 pm

"majority of Sickthingers will scramble for tickets even if Alice sits on a wooden crate and sings a selection of numbers from a Winnie the Pooh movie."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 pm

cherrypie wrote:"majority of Sickthingers will scramble for tickets even if Alice sits on a wooden crate and sings a selection of numbers from a Winnie the Pooh movie."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Probably! :x
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 pm

I don't mind a few covers, but like most people are saying, 6 is just too much. If he could drop 2 songs and just have 1 song by each of the four artists that would be great with me. That way he could add in a couple more Alice songs lol.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to seeing Break On Through, Revolution and Foxy Lady. I don't really care for the other songs that much tbh.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

James1981 wrote
"I actually don't mind the idea of the covers section. Quite looking forward to it. I think a lot of the negativity towards the covers section is misdirected rage at the lack of W2MN songs in there. Tommy can borrow my daughters keyboard if he wants to do Steven/I am made of you"

Can't speak for others, but definitely not my line of thought. I wouldn't mind if he didn't play anything from W2MN or even WtMN for that matter. As long as what he did play were Alice songs. Just don't want to hear covers. (Hello Hooray excluded)

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:52 am

Did anybody see any new hats? Just wondering if there is a new design.. I tried so hard to get the last one with the spider on it.. But the guy who was selling them said he had to get more and that he'd save me one.. SOLD OUT when I got back.. Bummer.. Thought Coop's site might have them.. But nothing yet.

Thanks
Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:50 am

Having thought about it a bit more, I don't think the setlist is all that bad. I'm still not enthusiastic about the covers section, but other than that it's not a bad set.

Songs like Hey Stoopid, Brutal Planet and Devil's Food have only recently started being performed live again, so I think it's great that they're still around for this tour. We have House Of Fire which is a wonderful rarity. There's also Hello Hooray which hasn't been played for a few years. And there's other great songs like Be My Lover, IBYFO and Go To Hell.

True, I wish we did have some more stuff from W2MN or RYFAY, but covers aside, I don't think it's a bad set.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:50 am

i dunno if i just got the wrong impression from comments/interviews on the build-up to this. i thought the show was going to be theatrical, and i thought it was mainly going to be based around WTMN/W2MN ~ maybe i'm misremembering, and it was just general comments/wishes on threads?
i guess i could've lived w/out the theatrics - as i've said before, i've seen an Alice show where the stage set was just a painted fence, and he still kicked ar$e. he was playing Cooper songs though. when it comes to covers, i generally don't have an issue if it's a song the singer is well known for and, eg, has been released as a single : Manson's "Sweet Dreams", as a for-instance. Beyond that, if i'm going to see a band/artist i don't want to see them doing other people's works.

maybe a lot of my disappointment is my fault, getting the wrong idea of what the show was going to be, but whatever the reason, it IS disappointment, and that's a shame when you're talking about Cooper tours. i still think a Hallowe'en single w/ those songs as a "b-side" would've been the way to go.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 am

killer wolf wrote:i dunno if i just got the wrong impression from comments/interviews on the build-up to this. i thought the show was going to be theatrical, and i thought it was mainly going to be based around WTMN/W2MN ~ maybe i'm misremembering, and it was just general comments/wishes on threads?
That was certainly the impression given. Even on The One Show last night Alice said there's 'a Nightmare section in the middle'. Quite how a total of four songs off the combined two albums spread separately through the set adds up to a Nightmare section in the middle is anybody's guess, even if you choose to throw Go To Hell into the mix.

nightmare 18
Trash
Trash

Post by nightmare 18 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 am

I have been reading this thread from the start and in agreement with a lot of it (i prefer Alice doing Alice songs) i dont really have a problem with what he is doing. He is paying homage to friends and as far as im aware (been going since 81) he has never done this before ok maybe one cover but not six. So to me he IS doing something different and i will be going to three shows to enjoy three shows and feel most people on here will do the same. So enjoy these gigs and see what comes in the future.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:57 am

I think the reason the setlist has frustrated me so much is that, down the Halloween night show being in Edinburgh, I know plenty of people with a casual interest in Alice and/or that have seen my obsession with him over the years are going to see him for the first time. A section of covers like that is something that can be seen almost anytime by a whole range of people, a show full of Alice songs, accompanied by theatrics or not, is something very special. Hopefully it'll still be a great night.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Billie1966 wrote:Did anybody see any new hats? Just wondering if there is a new design.. I tried so hard to get the last one with the spider on it.. But the guy who was selling them said he had to get more and that he'd save me one.. SOLD OUT when I got back.. Bummer.. Thought Coop's site might have them.. But nothing yet.
I don't think they had any hats. I don't think they had any new hats on the last tour either.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Desperado22 wrote: True, I wish we did have some more stuff from W2MN or RYFAY, but covers aside, I don't think it's a bad set.
Yes, I agree, it's a nice set overall. There are 9 different Alice songs as compared to the NMMNG tour. I think that's being overlooked because people were expecting a middle WTMN/W2MN section or at least a handful of new W2MN songs.

The set could use another Alice rarity or two, though. If "He's Back" had been in the set, that would have been fantastic.

As someone that was there, for the most part it really feels like a full show with the covers tacked on as an extended encore. It doesn't feel like the covers are a disproportionately large part of the show.

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Where is "Under My Wheels??"..lol...one of his signature songs removed.Not that fond of the "covers section"....but I love The Who,would have liked to see him do "Substitute" or "The Seeker"
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Ok then, let's break the set list down:

> I've made the songs that will never be dropped (the 'hits') blue;
> I've made fresh additions green;
> I've made songs that have been played often before but good choices in yellow; and
> I've made songs that have been overplayed, are irrelevant, are not that good live (or generally) red.

This is all my personal opinion, of course:

Hello Hooray
House Of Fire
No More Mr. Nice Guy
I'm Eighteen
I'll Bite Your Face Off
Be My Lover
Billion Dollar Babies
The Congregation (live debut)
Hey Stoopid
Dirty Diamonds (incl. drum solo)
Welcome To My Nightmare
Ballad Of Dwight Fry
Go To Hell
Brutal Planet
Devils Food
Feed My Frankenstein
Break On Through
Back Door Man
Revolution
Foxy Lady
I Can See For Miles
My Generation
Poison
School's Out

The regret I have is that 9 of the 24 songs would not have been chosen by me given the choice. Obviously though, it's not my choice to make and I'm still really looking forward to Saturday. However, I can only imagine how excited I'd be right now if the red songs were replaced with, for example:

Years Ago
Steven
Keepin Halloween Alive
Freedom
He's Back
I Am Made of You
When Hell Comes Home
Last Man on Earth
It's Me

Hope to see some of you in Bournemouth :)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Agree with nearly all your additions, except for He's Back and It's Me. Would like to see My Stars and Blue Turk instead. But whatever he plays, I know it'll be a good night! See you in Bournemouth :clap:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:32 pm

That's the beauty of being fans, we could discuss the set list till the cows come home and we'll never reach unanimous agreement ;)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order