For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

nephtis
Trash
Trash

Re: Opening Night SPOILERS!!!!

Post by nephtis » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 am

I haven’t seen it yet so I can’t judge how it works live. That remains to be seen. I can only explain how I reacted to the spoilers here.

That said, I have to admit when I read the set list I was disappointed for a second, too.

Not by the lack of rare Alice songs - while I would have loved some 80ies material or W2MN all of those songs in the setlist are ones that work rather well live and are fun!

So, I can live with that - happily.

The number of covers however surprised and worried me. It’s almost a third of the set list after all.
And some of those choices are… well not my personal favorites so I wondered if I’d have a particularly good time with that. It’s a 50:50 thing for me, personally.
Still, I am really looking forward to ‘My generation’ since I think that worked rather well within the show for Brutally live - but 6 in a row… we’ll see.
I can see how it could dampen the party mood if you are not really getting into it and I really love that concert rush and would miss it.

But then the choice of songs is a question of personal taste. Some music I like other people may not enjoy - so who picks the covers, chooses what he likes and it’s never possible to please everybody.
And how many of us have given a mixed tape to a friend with our favorite music hoping they’d fall in love with the same songs? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

So, I guess that’s a rather personal thing that he is doing there, it does sound a bit OOC, which will be interesting to see on stage. And I suppose the negative reaction to that move is kind of disappointing if that should be the case.

But then, after doing the same job 40 years who wouldn’t love to break the routine? I am working mine for 10 years and I jump at any chance to do it. And well, if you are a fan you find a way to show your appreciation of a star.
We wear shirts, the makeup and if we are musical may even sing a Coop tune ourselves - so why shouldn’t he do the same?

My only worry so far is that I am not quiet sure if the number of covers isn’t bit too much and it will kind of slow down the mood towards the end packed together in a block like that. I get that it's thematically and choreographed but mixed in, the same number of covers would probably not feel that out of place.

Maybe a full Alice Cooper tour is not the best setting for this, since it raises different expectations?
It's a personal opinion, but scheduling a few club gigs with just covers and no theatrics - or even record a cover album might have been a better choice considering the negative reaction here before the tour is even fully underway…

I'd probably have even bought a ticket to that and give it a go and see something Alice-yet-not-Alice if it had been labeled this from the start instead of a new Alice Cooper tour. Because personally, I love some covers if the artist gives them a new personal spin.

That might be part of the problem here, too - people have been expecting something different and now they feel disappointed. I am sure it will quiet down a bit?

A solution might be to have the covers prepared but rotate them and play only 2 or 3 each night - would make it fun for the guys who have tickets to several different shows so they could ‘collect’ all of them - and Alice and the band would get to play what the have rehearsed.
If you put so much work into it, it can be kind of disappointing if people go 'no, we don't want to see/hear that' after all.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:39 am

if he's adamant he want to keep covers in there, then at least scale it back to three or four songs (and stay in character) substiute the dropped tracks with some of the rare gems that were apparently discussed and even rehearsed. lol. now that i know a steven/i am made of you medley went as far as rehearsal, i;m hoping against hope that it makes it way in. that and another rarely played gem and i;m totally satisfied. i'm the last one to criticise alice's sets, but a full 6 covers out of character...that's the first time i've been a little taken aback by a set list. i like seeing alice being alice during a main tour. the rest is fine though. a tweak or two there as mentioned, and it's happy days! :)

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:43 am

if he's adamant he want to keep covers in there, then at least scale it back to three or four songs (and stay in character) substiute the dropped tracks with some of the rare gems that were apparently discussed and even rehearsed. lol. now that i know a steven/i am made of you medley went as far as rehearsal, i;m hoping against hope that it makes it way in. that and another rarely played gem and i;m totally satisfied. i'm the last one to criticise alice's sets, but a full 6 covers out of character...that's the first time i've been a little taken aback by a set list. i like seeing alice being alice during a main tour. the rest is fine though. a tweak or two there as mentioned, and it's happy days! :)

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 pm

[quote="A_MichaelUK"]>does anybody who follows the band's blog (love it!) know who Buiji is that travels with the band?

She is the Production Assistant for the tour.[/quote]

Thanks Andy! hope you are well sir.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I already know I am going to get slammed for my opinion on this one but that's okay. I usually defend most of Alice's decisions and understand it is the music "business" but speaking purely from a fan perspective, I have zero interest in hearing an entire section of cover tunes. One or two cover tunes is fine but with the cost of tickets these days, if I am going to shell out money, I want to see Alice doing Alice songs. Alice can definitely do what he wants to do and my respect for him and his music remain high. I do know (not to start anything) of a few people who went to the first show and heard a lot of the crowd were mumbling about all the covers as they were leaving (not saying that some didn't enjoy it but a lot didn't).

To me the highlight is Alice playing "House of Fire". If Alice were to add "Love's a Loaded Gun" that would be amazing as well because that would rank as one of my Top 10 Alice songs ever. I do think that poll and discussion on this board and others has indicated, there is a desire by many of the diehard fans to hear more off the 80's albums.

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Nick wrote:
man, a steven/i am made of you medley...that sounded too good to be true.

Seconded. When I saw that I could have cried that it's not being done.
btw I believe Tommy is a reasonably accomplished keyboard player hint hint haha
Si, I felt exactly the same when I read about that - surely there must be some way they can do this, it would be SO amazing.....please please PLEASE, POWERS-THAT-BE, YOU GOTTA FIND A WAY :love: :love: :love:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:11 pm

>hope you are well sir.

Thanks. No complaints. Same to you too.

GAZZ
Trash
Trash

Post by GAZZ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:34 pm

I agree with COOPERROCKS as I said in an earlier post I have got my tickets to see Alice Cooper do Alice Cooper songs not covers . as his assistant said before if Alice wants to do covers he can and in a way thats fine BUT Alice should of warned us all first so we could of chose to buy tickets or not because we pay our money to see the show . I have been to every Alice tour in the UK from 1981 onwards and he's never let me down till now I'm never bothered what songs he dose as long as they are Alice songs . I don't like any artist doing covers at all . for this tour we were told it was going to be a big show loads of nightmare 1 and 2 and its not but as I said as long as he is doing Alice songs and only Alice songs I'm fine with that but not covers I will go to see a pub or club band for that for free . I'm going to 3 UK shows this tour but I'm only still going because I have pre booked train tickets and hotels and I cant get my money back otherwise I would sell 2 sets of my tickets and only go to 1 show but I will be leaving the shows when the covers start . I never could stand THE DOORS or HENDRIX anyway . why didn't Alice do this tour as the nightmare 1+2 tour then go out on a small club tour and do the covers then people could of chose to go see him do the covers or not I for one wouldn't go see a covers show

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm

This is the risk of buying tickets for a show people know next to nothing about.. it can lead to disappointment. It's not the artists' fault that people have chosen to take this risk and end up watching a show they would not otherwise go to if they had waited to hear reviews from previous gigs.
AC is under no obligation to 'warn' fans about what songs he will perform ahead of time, the only obligation is that they simply turn up and perform. The deal is quite simple - AC ticket for an AC show, which is what people are getting!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm

GAZZ wrote:but I will be leaving the shows when the covers start .
Alice does a couple of his songs after the covers, so you might wanna stay.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

GAZZ
Trash
Trash

Post by GAZZ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:30 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
GAZZ wrote:but I will be leaving the shows when the covers start .
Alice does a couple of his songs after the covers, so you might wanna stay.
I know my friend but I really could not stand listening to 6 covers

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:36 pm

I always get a chuckle out of fans complaining that an artist isn't playing songs THEY want to hear. As I said before, I am sure that there are, and will be, fans in attendance at Alice's shows that don't mind the cover songs....perhaps even prefer them over a selection of DaDa songs. Personally, I have songs that I want to hear....but I don't recall Alice checking with me and asking my opinion on his set-list. Obviously, this is what he (and his band) decided to do - without consulting each and every fan about his/her personal wishes.
Shame on him :evil:

GAZZ
Trash
Trash

Post by GAZZ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm

GNDM wrote:I always get a chuckle out of fans complaining that an artist isn't playing songs THEY want to hear. As I said before, I am sure that there are, and will be, fans in attendance at Alice's shows that don't mind the cover songs....perhaps even prefer them over a selection of DaDa songs. Personally, I have songs that I want to hear....but I don't recall Alice checking with me and asking my opinion on his set-list. Obviously, this is what he (and his band) decided to do - without consulting each and every fan about his/her personal wishes.
Shame on him :evil:
As said earlier I don't mind what set list he dose as long as there his songs I don't pay £36 to see covers you get that for free off pub and club bands . some people may be happy to hear covers and that's fine its just that I'm not just my personal opinion .

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 pm

With all due respect I don`t think (this time) anyone is really saying Alice can't play whatever he wishes or that he should consult them (which he actually did in a way). It's just that a lot of people aren't impressed, nor really understand, his choices this time around.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Alice has the right to do the covers, but people also have the right to not like it. I really don't know where I am at this whole thing right now. I do like one or two of the songs played, but not all of them. Foxy Lady even sounded really great on the videos posted here. But 6 covers IS too much, whether you like or not. If it wasn't too much, the name of the tour wouldn't have been "Raise the Dead" as a reference to this part of the show.
But, as already said but others, when you don't have a chance to see Alice live every year/tour you don't dislike ANY setlist. I do agree it is probably misdirected disappointment with the lack of W2MN songs.

Anyway, the point is: Alice will probably do the songs the entire tour, and I would be happy to see him live with any set he chooses to play, but probably I (and anyone who's a fan) would be happier with some os the songs the were discussed and didn't make it to the set. Love's a Loaded Gun is an all time favorite (I even had my promotional Water gun autographed), as much as Generation Landslide, He's Back and etc. And I may sound presumptuous, but I think lot's of people agree with me.

PS: Loved that House of Fire is being played, THAT is a great addition!!
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

GAZZ
Trash
Trash

Post by GAZZ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Si wrote:With all due respect I don`t think (this time) anyone is really saying Alice can't play whatever he wishes or that he should consult them (which he actually did in a way). It's just that a lot of people aren't impressed, nor really understand, his choices this time around.
Well put SI i 110% agree with you :clap:

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:18 pm

:)

Si....but most of the fans here will go to a show (if they can) no matter what songs Alice does. Just my opinion, but maybe "some people" know that the majority of Sickthingers will scramble for tickets even if Alice sits on a wooden crate and sings a selection of numbers from a Winnie the Pooh movie. If the cover songs he selected are not received well...by a broad selection of fans...he will fall back to other songs. (I still would like a re-do of The Lady is a Tramp.)

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Is there a danger of the very casual Alice fans, those that only know the hits, will think the cover songs are Alice songs?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 pm

The Spider wrote:
alicebackstage wrote:
bigbradwolf wrote:What was the point of the Facebook vote?
The point was to give fans a voice. Someone has to go to bat for the fans to provide needed ammo when the set was being pieced together to try to slide in songs that fans really wanted to hear. Understand that there are songs that Alice HAS to play, because promoters and fans expect to see them. So, that takes some variety out of the set. This show has a covers section, and like it or not Alice can pay tribute to his friends if he wants to. But, that being said that's now less room for variation as well, which is indeed frustrating when constructing a setlist. But I think given the circumstances and the input, Alice did pretty good off the bat. Some perspective...

#1 - Poison - IN THE SET
#2 - Bed Of Nails - A great song, but Alice won't play this live due to it's lyrical content.
#3 - He's Back - Was REHEARSED, and sounded great. Was in the set up until show day. May still see this one.
#4 - School's Out - Classic, can't loose this one
#5 - Nice Guy - Same as School's Out
#6 - Frankenstein - IN THE SET
#7 - Dwight Frye - IN THE SET
#8 - Hell Is Living Without You - Great suggestion and was DISCUSSED.
#9 - Love's A Loaded Gun - Another good suggestion that was DISCUSSED.
#10 - Might As Well Be On Mars - Yet another good one.
#11 - House Of Fire - IN THE SET
#12 - Hey Stoopid - IN THE SET
#13 - Steven - Tried to do a Steven/I Am Made Of You medley, but it didn't work without the piano. It WAS rehearsed though.
#14 - Generation Landslide - Personally I'd love to see this one.
#15 - Welcome To My Nightmare - IN THE SET

The point is, 9 out of the top 15 are in the set, but EVERYTHING in the top 15 was actually discussed. Several were surprises. He's Back for example was high on the list and was rehearsed a LOT, but it wouldn't have ever been considered without the poll. Same goes for Loaded Gun, Mars and Hell Is Living Without You. Those are songs that aren't on the "go to" list of songs when setlists are being put together. But now they will be, because we know fans want to hear them.

Believe me, the powers that be read this forum. Alice hears you. And if something isn't working in the set, he's not going to leave it there. There's been one show, and there will be many more. Plenty of time to make changes if they are warranted. Step away from the ledge folks. Lets see where this one goes
Couldn't agree more and thank you for the extra info. There have been so many negative comments on here so far that it's unreal, especially when hardly any of you have even seen the show yourselves. If Alice wants to pay tribute to his old friends, then let him. Have you heard his version of Foxy Lady and Revolution. They are amazing and make the set interesting. Even if it seems that 6 covers may be too much, go to the show, give it a try, then complain if you don't like it. Like I've said many times in this thread, at least Alice is still out there touring for us, so what for ONE tour he wants to do something he wants for a change. Let him do it and support him. GO ALICE!!
Another cover... perhaps, something from BOC?
[

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:54 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:Is there a danger of the very casual Alice fans, those that only know the hits, will think the cover songs are Alice songs?
Only if they're not very bright considering there's a voice over where Alice describes why they're playing the songs and tombstones with each artist's name projected on the back drop.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."