"A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: "A Big Announcement to Come in a Few Weeks"

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:15 pm

>Much like touring with The Scorpions, Deep Purple or Rob Zombie.

Yes and Whitesnake as well. There is a difference between being a support act and a special guest (in relation to billing, length of set, amount of lighting and sound facilitiies to be made available and payment).

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:21 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Much like touring with The Scorpions, Deep Purple or Rob Zombie.

Yes and Whitesnake as well. There is a difference between being a support act and a special guest (in relation to billing, length of set, amount of lighting and sound facilitiies to be made available and payment).
I could have dunaway with this announcement to make room for some neal musicians but I don't want to bruce anyones ego by complaining...

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Parish wrote:I could have dunaway with this announcement to make room for some neal musicians but I don't want to bruce anyones ego by complaining...
lmao....funniest thing I have seen in awhile.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm

GNDM wrote:
Parish wrote:I could have dunaway with this announcement to make room for some neal musicians but I don't want to bruce anyones ego by complaining...
lmao....funniest thing I have seen in awhile.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee28 ... MF/bow.png

;)

elnombre
Trash
Trash

Post by elnombre » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Anyone who really thinks the Nightmare 2 tour is/was going to happen must have a short memory. This is exactly the same scenario as the mooted 'Along Came A Spider' tour that never happened, to the letter. Album drops, one song is added to the usual stale setlist, we're told there'll be a full new album-based production the following year, then Alice accepts a slot opening for someone else.

If Alice would rather take the money and play a truncated nostalgia set as second-billing to Iron Maiden instead of capitalizing on his most successful album in decades, that's his call.

Absolutely hilarious that this was hyped as a 'BIG announcement' and then the usual flunkies blame the fans for being disappointed, despite knowing full well that they were told that this year would see a Nightmare 2 tour. Maybe we're supposed to be excited that we can go see Alice and be home and in bed by 9.30pm. :rotfl:

I honestly doubt we'll ever see a new themed tour from Alice now - just variations on the usual. The last tour approaching an album-based theatrical deal was Descent into Dragontown, about a decade ago. Any 'Farewell Tour' is bound to be hits/guillotine/snake. If Nightmare 2 and a successful US chart placing aren't enough to warrant a break with the formula, what ever will be?

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I consider this a two groupshow and not the traditionel supportgroup / headliner.

Exactly. That is what it is.
Your wrong, this is Alice playing as support on a leg of the Maiden tour, 'special' guest certainly but support none the rest. You can justify it anyway you like, you can like it, not like it, but for a part of the Iron Maiden tour Alice is the 'special' support act, not a two group show. WRONG.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:32 pm

>Absolutely hilarious that this was hyped as a 'BIG announcement' and then the usual flunkies blame the fans for being disappointed,

Which 'hype' are you referring to? The fact that the word "big" was used once in relation to one announcement?! Let me tell you what is "hilarious" and that is people letting their imaginations run riot as to what it was going to be. Would I have announced it as "big"? No. Would you have? No. I wouldn't have announced it in that way, but then, I'm not the person who puts up those announcements. As for "flunkies", stop acting coy and give names, otherwise keep quiet.

>despite knowing full well that they were told that this year would see a Nightmare 2 tour.

WHAT IS YOUR POINT?! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, DO YOU STILL BELIEVE THAT EVERTHING ALICE SAYS IN AN INTERVIEW IS HOW THINGS ARE GOING TO BE?!

>I honestly doubt we'll ever see a new themed tour from Alice now - just variations on the usual.

Stay home, shut up and save your money then.

>If Nightmare 2 and a successful US chart placing aren't enough to warrant a break with the formula, what ever will be?

That would depend on your definition of "successful", I suppose.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 pm

>Your wrong, this is Alice playing as support on a leg of the Maiden tour, 'special' guest certainly but support none the rest.

As I explained, if he was just another "support" act, he'd be paid a lot less than he will be for one thing.

>You can justify it anyway you like,

I am not 'justifying' anything. Try not to put words in my mouth - I am explaining the reality. If it doesn't fit your preconception, that's not my concern.

>Alice is the 'special' support act, not a two group show.

Well done. You just invented a new description. I guess you had to, otherwise your theory would collapse. It's interesting though - I don't remember this amount of bleating when Alice appeared as a special guest on the last Rob Zombie tour or any of the other acts that Toronto Bob mentioned.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 pm

The tour that followed ACAS was a totally refreshing show, however, and was pretty far removed from what we've seen before in terms of setlist structure and theatrics.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:55 am

Toronto Bob wrote: Oh and to those who think AC is a bigger act than IM :rotfl:
And for those with no grasp of music history Alice Cooper was the biggest act on the planet something Iron Maiden never have or ever will be.

Alice Cooper was a cultural revolution not just a heavy metal subculture and that is not a pop at Maiden as I do like some of their stuff, always really good guitar work and have met Janick Gers (top bloke) when he worked with Gillan.
Even Bruce Dickinson (who I've got a lot of time for) will tell you who the biggest act is in terms of history, even if Alice is special guest of Iron Maiden and he will blow them offstage just like he did to a better rock band than Maiden, Deep Purple.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:17 am

Devon wrote:
"have they had the hits or albums sold that coop has?"

More hits? They have gold and Platinum album left and right all over the world. The last few albums have been #1 albums around the world, and top 40 (and top 10) in the U.S. in the past decade. More albums sold? Reportedly.
It's a lot easier to have a #1 album in these days of records selling in poor numbers compared to the golden age of the 1960/70's and less competition.

Alice Cooper was up against all time music greats in his heyday and still managed to have the biggest selling single in Warner Bros history and top both sides of the Atlantic when albums sold in huge numbers not forgetting breaking the Rolling Stones box office record for a US Tour.

Alice Cooper v Iron Maiden no contest Coop wins hands down
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:29 am

>It's a lot easier to have a #1 album in these days of records selling in poor numbers compared to the golden age of the 1960/70's and less competition.

It's not just "these days" though. For a band that stinks, they have had huge success throughout most of their career. The same applies as to the question of who sells more concert tickets and merchandise.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:04 am

Personally, I am just happy Coop is playing a few cities beyond the usual remote county fair corn fields.

I will reserve further comment on the pricing and pairing until I learn:

1) who is in the band?
2) will ac.com offer presale tix?
3) set list?

If this ends up being double the ticket price 30 rows back for a short, stale set list with 2 guitarists instead of 3 to save money with little investment in this year's staging it might be disappointing. But, as Andy has previously stated, who cares what I think? I am but one customer and rock stars don't really need my money or repeat business.

Personally, like Zombie, I will leave after Coop's show and beat the traffic.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 am

>But, as Andy has previously stated, who cares what I think? I am but one customer and rock stars don't really need my money or repeat business.

I didn't quite put it like that, at least not in this context. What is true though I think, is that the views of people here, do not necessarily reflect the views of the general rock audience that goes to see rock shows and that's where the difference lies.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:32 am

I think 'A Big Announcement For US Fans' would have been more appropriate.

Iron Maiden can't touch Alice for me but I have huge respect for them all the same and would love to see one of those shows.

Alice was far more than support when he did the 2 shows with Def Leppard. Nice long set and plenty of respect from all fans. In fairness, he blew them away and I'm also big Def Leppard fan.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Meh. Who cares. Alice continues to tour, so it's all good in my eyes. Looking forward to him making another trip down under hopefully in the next year or two, as has been his routine since 2005.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 pm

>Alice continues to tour, so it's all good in my eyes.

Exactly, but that's not good enough for some people, apparently. Maybe they will be happier when he finally does retire.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Nick wrote:Meh. Who cares. Alice continues to tour, so it's all good in my eyes. Looking forward to him making another trip down under hopefully in the next year or two, as has been his routine since 2005.
Agreed. I have seen Alice at least once every year for the past 12 years and this makes me a very happy man. I never get tired of seeing any of his songs live.
Boomshanka

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:14 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote: Oh and to those who think AC is a bigger act than IM :rotfl:
And for those with no grasp of music history Alice Cooper was the biggest act on the planet something Iron Maiden never have or ever will be.

Alice Cooper was a cultural revolution not just a heavy metal subculture and that is not a pop at Maiden as I do like some of their stuff, always really good guitar work and have met Janick Gers (top bloke) when he worked with Gillan.
Even Bruce Dickinson (who I've got a lot of time for) will tell you who the biggest act is in terms of history, even if Alice is special guest of Iron Maiden and he will blow them offstage just like he did to a better rock band than Maiden, Deep Purple.
chill out dude. No grasp of rock history? Please. My comment was relating to the here and now (and say the past 20 years) IM is bigger. Yes Alice is more of a seminal influence in rock than Maiden (although no one should sell IM short - they are next to Sabbath in the world of HM) but I was commenting on present day touring.
The original comment said something along the lines that Alice is bigger than Maiden - and that is simply not true - you have facts to refute that, let's see them, otherwise zip it on the trash talk.

I'm more of an Alice fan (pre-Dragontown) than Maiden but facts are facts and Maiden sells more tickets in the major concert markets than Alice and they likely sell more copies of a new release than AC as well, if Alice was bigger than Maiden, Maiden would be a "Special Guest" on Alice's tour - but that's not the case is it?

And in regards to your claim of Alice once being the "biggest act on the planet". That's a nice line that sounds good and is almost true but at Alice's peak, say last half of 1973, Zeppelin were a bigger act and they sustained that popularity throughout the decade, whereas Alice's reign was over and done by the time 1976 rolled around - he didn't even sell out MSG in '77. So what kind of music history are you gonna school me on exactly?

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:34 pm

"If this ends up being double the ticket price 30 rows back for a short, stale set list with 2 guitarists instead of 3 to save money with little investment in this year's staging it might be disappointing."

Yikes, I am afraid you may be disappointed. Ticket prices will probably be higher, but not double. The amount of people seeking tix, will probably mean you may be farther back than usual.
Set list will probably be just slightly shorter, but I don't think there is any reason to think there will be any major changes, so if you thought the recent ones were stale, you will probably think this one will be.
I don't think going to a 2 gtr line up would be just a cost cutting measure, most of the time Alice has only used a 2 gtr line up, albeit often with keyboards, but it has been a few years since he has toured with s keyboardist.
I am guessing staging will be quite similar to the recent tour.

I think people should remember that for the dedicated Alice fans this will be the same old show. But most of the audience will be people that have not seen this tour (NMMNG).