Muscle of Love backing vocals

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Muscle of Love backing vocals

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 am

I'm sure many of you have noticed,but I always loved the cool "Aleluiah" backing vox at the end of the Muscle track. It was mixed at a perfect level- not too noticable but enough to be heard. Pointer sisters, Labelle, & Liza Minelli did a great job on the album (Teenage Lament, Workin' up a Sweat, etc...) without being overbearing - thanks to Jack Douglas's brilliant mixing.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Muscle of Love backing vocals

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Oh yes some of the finest backing vocals on any Alice Cooper album.
Not forgetting Ronnie Spector who also sang BV's on Teenage Lament 74.

Liza Minnelli on Man With The Golden Gun was sensational, even Lulu when she appeared with Alice on a chat show a few years ago was surprised Alice Cooper's song wasnt used in the Bond Movie instead of hers as as she said Alice Cooper was the biggest act on the planet at that time.

He had met Roger Moore at a party around that time, what a shame it never got used.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 am

You're right- total shame it wasn't used. Still can't figure out why Muscle gets the negative opinions. Great LP with great playing.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:36 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:You're right- total shame it wasn't used. Still can't figure out why Muscle gets the negative opinions. Great LP with great playing.

It is pretty sterile and has two of the worst tracks ever:
Woman Machine and Crazy Little Child. Very poor follow up to BDB's.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:19 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Mr.Bluelegs wrote:You're right- total shame it wasn't used. Still can't figure out why Muscle gets the negative opinions. Great LP with great playing.

Not as good when compared with Billion Dollar Babies (but very little is) but sterile?

Woman Machine not the best track but Crazy Little Child is a great song of its type and the problem is some fans never liked it when Alice Cooper did something a little different which is what made Alice Cooper such a great band.

If all you wanted to hear was hard rock by numbers there were other bands that gave you that, but Alice was never afraid to throw a curve ball!

Teenage Lament 74 - Cooper classic
Man With The Golden Gun - Cooper classic
Muscle Of Love - Cooper classic
Hard Hearted Alice - Cooper classic
Never Been Sold Before - Cooper classic
Big Apple Dreaming -Cooper classic
Working Up A Sweat - Cooper classic
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:41 pm

I reckon MOL gets a bit of stick because of going of on a tangent/curved ball you mentioned Steven with Crazy LC..I would regard 6 of your 7 listed as classic AC (not all keen Man wGG)..Its funny when I think of say Lace and W I don't like it but when I look at the songs..Its Hot, Road Rats, title track, Never Wrote and My God are all near classics...for me they were too diverse at the time especially on vinyl where you couldnt program the ones you wanted to listen to...now we can..so or me there is probably around 50 to 60 classic AC tracks at least incl solo and some on albums i profess not to like...theres always soemthing classic on AC albums..especially in retrospect..they/her are diverse and often ahead of time..i don't think the diversity is a problem now with the technology we have to edit our choice
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:04 am

steven_crayn wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:

Not as good when compared with Billion Dollar Babies (but very little is) but sterile?

Woman Machine not the best track but Crazy Little Child is a great song of its type and the problem is some fans never liked it when Alice Cooper did something a little different which is what made Alice Cooper such a great band.

That's not the case. I accepted a rather brilliant cover of a ( gasp ) Rolf Harris song and the piano whimsy of the delightful " Mary Ann ". I even accepted a reworking of a movie my mother liked: West Side Story. I didn't accept two lousy tracks on a disappointing album.

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:46 am

Muscle of Love is essential if only for the classic title track and Hard Hearted Alice. I like Workin' Up A Sweat too.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Yep. Most people like working up a sweat!. Joking aside Hard Hearted Alice fantastic imo..somewhere on you tube Mike Bruce plays a bit of it acoustically

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:19 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Woman Machine and Crazy Little Child. Very poor follow up to BDB's

I accepted a rather brilliant cover of a ( gasp ) Rolf Harris song and the piano whimsy of the delightful " Mary Ann ". I even accepted a reworking of a movie my mother liked: West Side Story. I didn't accept two lousy tracks on a disappointing album.
Fair point but Crazy Little Child a lousy track?

Ludicrous statement!

Not as good as Billion Dollar Babies but for many Billion Dollar Babies is the artistic peak of Alice Cooper and as the commercial peak everything that follows is always going to fall a little bit short.

Commercial success without artistic acclaim isn't as good which is why Trash will never be regarded as a great album, but Muscle Of Love though not a massive success commercially had artistic highs, with the only weak track for me being Woman Machine which sounded like the left over riffs from the albums title track, but stll better than most bands weak album tracks.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:36 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:
Woman Machine and Crazy Little Child. Very poor follow up to BDB's

I accepted a rather brilliant cover of a ( gasp ) Rolf Harris song and the piano whimsy of the delightful " Mary Ann ". I even accepted a reworking of a movie my mother liked: West Side Story. I didn't accept two lousy tracks on a disappointing album.
Fair point but Crazy Little Child a lousy track?

Ludicrous statement!

Not as good as Billion Dollar Babies but for many Billion Dollar Babies is the artistic peak of Alice Cooper and as the commercial peak everything that follows is always going to fall a little bit short.

Commercial success without artistic acclaim isn't as good which is why Trash will never be regarded as a great album, but Muscle Of Love though not a massive success commercially had artistic highs, with the only weak track for me being Woman Machine which sounded like the left over riffs from the albums title track, but stll better than most bands weak album tracks.

I'd have much rather they's have put Slick Black Limo on there instead of Woman Machine or Crazy Little Child.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Slick Black Limousine is an absolute classic i'll agree on that

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:20 am

Anybody still got their original NME Flexi disc?
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

Jacknife_Johnny
Killer
Killer

Post by Jacknife_Johnny » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:12 am

Still have mine!

:alice:
I would never join a club that would have me as a member!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 am

me too

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Me too!
And by THE way I really like Woman machine :rock:

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:28 pm

lets not forget that Liza Minnelli was an influence on Alice Cooper, her film Cabaret was mentioned when he talked about the Billion Dollar Babies show at the time

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Still have mine!

I've lost mine........... :( :(
*cries*
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Ive still got mine and I like the extra effects sounds on the flexi disc..Ill have to listen to it again to remember what they are..coming round from the gas maybe :rock:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:12 pm

>lets not forget that Liza Minnelli was an influence on Alice Cooper, her film Cabaret was mentioned when he talked about the Billion Dollar Babies show at the time

That might be what she claims, but I wouldn't go that far though.

> her film Cabaret was mentioned when he talked about the Billion Dollar Babies show at the time

That was a reference to the decadence of the seventies and he referred to the decadence of the thirties as well.