Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Alice on torrents and such?

Post by Kristian » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:19 am

Hi ppl,
Has anyone seen Alice speak his mind on file sharing? I'm curious about his position...

K.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice on torrents and such?

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 am

I would hope he would speak out against it.

If Alice got all the money due from his back catalogue rather than some thief stealing the album he would have more money to put back into the shows for the fans.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:36 pm

... and I for one hope he would be rational :p

- but please, let's keep our own opinions out of this ... I am looking for Alice's as I have not seen it anywhere and I'm curious about it. We can discuss our own viewpoints in Off Topic if the need is there.

Draugen
Trash
Trash

Post by Draugen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:05 am

I dont't have a source to confirm this. But I'm pretty sure I have heard or read him say that he liked the idea of more people discovering his music though filesharing, and that it would be great if some of thouse bought his records after hearing them.
This is years ago, so he might have changed his mind by now.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:05 pm

>I'm curious about his position...

The footage at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbhB-Ot6UI will give you an indication.

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks, Michael! I found the website of the organization: http://www.rockthehouse.me.uk - I guess AC would not work with them if he disagreed with their program.

Kristian.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:20 pm

did you notice launch party date 4th February
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:46 am

No, is that date significant?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:58 am

Gene Simmon's birthday.

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:57 am

Lol!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:08 am

Kristian, Pitkin is messing with you. Feb 4th is, of course, Alice's birthday. :)

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:16 am

Ah yes, I knew I'd seen it somewhere...

hywelkidd
Trash
Trash

Post by hywelkidd » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:00 pm

To be honest, I don't mind people downloading a few songs if they end up buying the albums afterwards. What I can't stand is people who download whole albums :nono:

After all, money is tight for a lot of people these days (including myself). I never buy albums based on the quality of the single(s) so as money is very tight, when I do get a bit of spare cash for myself, I'll download one or two of the other tracks from an album and if they're good enough I'll buy the full album. If not they just get deleted. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people do a similar thing to that.

digitaledge
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by digitaledge » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:12 pm

If I remember rightly, there was a study conducted which showed that people who pirate music actually BOUGHT MORE music legally than those that don't.

It can be a good way to discover new/old music. For me, at least, I occasionally use it for music that is no longer available in stores, and to get alternative versions (i.e. I got a couple of cracking Alter Bridge acoustic songs that they recorded for a radio show that you just can't buy anywhere).

However, I'm one of those people that prefer physical media to digital. I like to hold it in my hands, read the liners etc.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:50 pm

digitaledge wrote:If I remember rightly, there was a study conducted which showed that people who pirate music actually BOUGHT MORE music legally than those that don't.
I think there have been MANY studies that show that (although you can often make statistics say what you want). But it makes sense as these most people who use such methods a lot are the ones who are heavily into music/film and so are the biggest market for sales.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:55 pm

digitaledge wrote:If I remember rightly, there was a study conducted which showed that people who pirate music actually BOUGHT MORE music legally than those that don't.
I never believed those studies.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Whether you like illegal downloading or not, it's here to stay. The music business took way too long to address it and try to monetise it.

The money that acts like Alice Cooper make on record sales is questionable these days, however the ancillary sales are where it's at now..... publising, TV, soundtracks, merchandise and ofcourse.... touring.

digitaledge
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by digitaledge » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:20 pm

I've heard that artists generally get about $1.25 per album and $0.03 per single (although it varies depending on the contract), so unless an album has large sales, artists don't really get an awful lot of money from them in comparison to what they get for their live shows.

Merchandise and other means are another valuable source of artist income, and am I right in saying that Alice gets pretty much all of the M&G costs?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:33 pm

digitaledge wrote:I've heard that artists generally get about $1.25 per album and $0.03 per single (although it varies depending on the contract), so unless an album has large sales, artists don't really get an awful lot of money from them in comparison to what they get for their live shows.
It's alot more complicated than that considering the advent of iTunes and other MP3 sites where many tracks are now bought individually. Also, the revenue earned from the likes of Spotify is so inconsequential it pretty much amounts to nothing.
digitaledge wrote: Merchandise and other means are another valuable source of artist income, and am I right in saying that Alice gets pretty much all of the M&G costs?
No that's not correct.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Who does get the money from the meet and greet then?