I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by Devon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Devon wrote:Tweaking and altering is nothing new, but with ProTools is 10x a lot easier to do now. Vocally and musically there have been tricks and cheats for a few decades that have been done (some discovered by accident, some on purpose.) Even Pink Floyd had to use a vocal cheat for David Gilmour on the "Wish You Were Here" album!

But since we KNOW that auto-tune wasn't used in the capacity that had been previously thought, admittedly even by me, it's no good to discuss the ifs, ands and buts about it in regards to "I Am Made of You."
You need to get your facts right.
From the WYWH songbook:

"The only time we've ever used tape speed to help us with vocals was on one line of the Machine song. It was a line I just couldn't reach so we dropped the tape down half a semitone and then dropped the line in on the track"

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:15 am

A couple of points;

Auto-tune (or whatever it is called that is used on 'I am made of you') on 'I am made of you' is clearly for effect purposes only. I am surprised that any of you think it has anything to do with 'correcting' vocal.

With respect to Alice's vocal ability; it has deteriorated a little with age in that it crackles here and there and he has a lost a few notes at the top of his range. That is natural, he's 63!! But nothing to the extent that he needs to 'cheat' in any way.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Gunner wrote:A couple of points;

Auto-tune (or whatever it is called that is used on 'I am made of you') on 'I am made of you' is clearly for effect purposes only. I am surprised that any of you think it has anything to do with 'correcting' vocal.

With respect to Alice's vocal ability; it has deteriorated a little with age in that it crackles here and there and he has a lost a few notes at the top of his range. That is natural, he's 63!! But nothing to the extent that he needs to 'cheat' in any way.
Exactly. The reason it's important that people understand that it is NOT AutoTune is because some people associate this with "Vocal fixes for people who can't sing" or whatever it might be, which is absolutely NOT what's going on here. If people would simply understand this then it would (hopefully) cut down on some of the absolutely absurd comments I've seen regarding this.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:46 pm

>If people would simply understand this then it would (hopefully) cut down on some of the absolutely absurd comments I've seen regarding this.

After four pages of this thread, it will be interesting to see how many more times that point needs to be made.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:38 pm

We are losing focus kids...

With or without the auto tune the song is ridiculous.
What does it even mean?
What does it have to do with the original nightmare that this is allegedly a sequel to?
Why is Entenmans making their cakes smaller but still charging the same price?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:36 pm

>What does it even mean?

Have you read the previous posts including one from Alice (indirectly) which gives some explanations?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:40 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>What does it even mean?

Have you read the previous posts including one from Alice (indirectly) which gives some explanations?
No I havent. When I first heard WTMN in 1975 I didnt need a road map and now 36 years later I can't read one anyway! :grin:

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:09 pm

I must confess, I fail to see of what relevance 'I am made of you' has to the nightmare. Unless, he has a parallel personal theme going on - in which he re-enters the Alice Cooper character in the mid-eighties; born-again, sober, hooked on caffeine (as a subsitute) and into the 'nightmare returns'!!?? Just a thought. :/

I mean, that is the first three cuts isn't it?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Parish wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>What does it even mean?

No I havent. When I first heard WTMN in 1975 I didnt need a road map and now 36 years later I can't read one anyway! :grin:
Then why ask 'What does it even mean?' if you don't want to know the answer?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Gunner wrote:I must confess, I fail to see of what relevance 'I am made of you' has to the nightmare. Unless, he has a parallel personal theme going on - in which he re-enters the Alice Cooper character in the mid-eighties; born-again, sober, hooked on caffeine (as a subsitute) and into the 'nightmare returns'!!?? Just a thought. :/

I mean, that is the first three cuts isn't it?
Personally, it doesn't really fit into the nightmare for me, but then there are quite a few tracks on the original that i didn't think bore any relevance to the concept.

Great song though.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:25 pm

>I must confess, I fail to see of what relevance 'I am made of you' has to the nightmare.

It's all part of the general psychosis.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:43 am

If you think about it, "I Am Made of You" isn't necessarily going to fit in the Nightmare itself anyway since he hasn't fallen asleep yet, although I do see what a couple of you mean.

But as Andy alluded to, and then Kyler (Alice's assistant) alluded to on YouTube, it's very open to interpretation. I found Andy's theory of Steven singing to Alice to be the most interesting. The best analogy I can think of is when some people say "We are made in God's image," in that I think Alice is saying "I am what you have made me, and because of you I am able to exist the way I do." Steven is saying this to Alice. Alice is saying this to god. Alice is saying this to his family. Alice is saying this to his fans, etc.

Alice mentioned this to be the "masterpiece" of the album and went through several re-writes apparently until it was right. I would imagine that this is a very personal song for him and he wanted to make sure it was just exactly right and said exactly what he wanted it to say, and I think he knocked it out of the ballpark myself.

This is why I feel sorry for those who can't get past a silly vocal effect that they have mistaken for "Auto Tune." They are completely hung up on something so miniscule and pathetic and are literally missing the forest for the trees.

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:22 am

The singer/song hook is a thing of beauty.
After that he says I am made of you way too many times unfortunately but......He is telling his fans he survived all of it. Paying tribute to us.

It all starts with Caffeine IMO.
Dang it I wish I liked this record a lot more than I do.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Devils Food wrote:The singer/song hook is a thing of beauty.
After that he says I am made of you way too many times unfortunately but......He is telling his fans he survived all of it. Paying tribute to us.

It all starts with Caffeine IMO.
Dang it I wish I liked this record a lot more than I do.

The singer/song thing soungs EXACTLY like Barry Manilow...

goo, gawd, awful...

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Hey, stop knocking Barry Manilow, he gives a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:06 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:Hey, stop knocking Barry Manilow, he gives a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.
I hear ya, "Weekend In New England" is one of my all time favorite songs. Thank the Lord he never made "Weekend In 2 England" ;)

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:05 pm

um, I think if you go back by one album, Along Came a Spider, you may notice how different Alice's voice sounds....To me, it sounds much higher than W2MN....could his voice have been altered???

Let's investigate this album too.....hell, why not go through the whole damn catalog because there may be effects applied? I mean, Alice is an artist...but, who the hell does he think he is trying to be creative? AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

BURN YOUR ALICE RECORDS!!!!
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:12 pm

GailsFriend wrote:um, I think if you go back by one album, Along Came a Spider,
I listened to that disastah once and thats Enough's Enough

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 pm

GailsFriend: Quit feeding the troll.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:31 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:GailsFriend: Quit feeding the troll.
I find that remark RemarkablyInsincere...