I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Re: I Am Made of You... without auto-tune?

Post by alicespoisonuk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:31 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>we all know how bad Alice can sound live.

Do "we" really?
Exactly - WE do not!

M
"You trade your soul for another taste....."

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:04 pm

The autotune is fine, and it's not even in the song all that much.

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:30 am

Let's face it, Alice hasn't exactly shyed (sp?) away from trying different musical techiniques not usualy assocaited with the Alice Cooper sound. For example, going New Wave for Flush The Fashion or using synthesizers on DaDa. In my opinion he pulled them off very well and I also think the use of Auto Tune on "I am Made Of You" works well too, I don't think it takes anything away from the song which, in my opinion, is his best in years.

unafraid
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by unafraid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:49 am

I think people forgot what my original comment/suggestion was... I'm not asking for a new version of the album without that vocal effect, I'm asking for an alternate version of the song without it released as a b-side or bonus track on a future single/rerelease/whatever. I would take that over another live version of Poison on any day.
You got the picnic, I got the ants.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:01 am

Again guys, there is *no* autotune on "I Am Made of You."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:26 am

Devon wrote:Again guys, there is *no* autotune on "I Am Made of You."

but there is an effect that to most people sounds exactly like auto tune.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:12 am

It's still not Auto-Tune. Autotune tends to sound a lot more drastic than that upon actually listening to samples of it.

Twiggy5Manson
Trash
Trash

Post by Twiggy5Manson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:24 pm

I absolutely hated the autotune on first listen which was a damn shame because I loved the song, and I was hoping maybe a lot of people would think the same and we'd get a download on the website of it without the effect or something. I'd still like that since I think the song would be better without it but I don't find it as annoying as I did initially. It's just such a great song that I don't get why they made that decision at all, I doubt many Kanye West fans will be picking up a copy of Welcome 2 My Nightmare.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:37 am

there's not much auto tone,or whatever that effect was in the song. the parts do not effect the sum of the song,and if it does for you,then you are far too critical,imo.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:29 am

Devon wrote:It's still not Auto-Tune. Autotune tends to sound a lot more drastic than that upon actually listening to samples of it.

but no one picked up on it so how can it sound a lot more drastic?

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:28 am

Because it is.

Vlad the Impala
Killer
Killer

Post by Vlad the Impala » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:35 am

I love this song.
One of the very best on the album.
School's out FOREVER!!"
Speaking as an ex-teacher, I can confirm that it really is!!

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:47 am

HORRORHOLIC wrote: I think the auto-tune works perfectly for the song. It never comes across as Alice using it to make his voice sound any better, thats not why it was used for. I still can't explain the chills I got while listening to this one for the 1st time. What a great song!!

Totally agree, I get the chills everytime I hear it , and I think thats down to auto-tune for adding that extra dimension.
Instant classic IMO.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:36 pm

This would have made a wonderful acoustic ballad.. Alice has such a great voice, I wish he would have stuck a little closer to his style on this tune..

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 am

From the official Alice Cooper YouTube:

"The song is about many things: I Am Made Of You - Sheryl Cooper; I Am Made Of You - Alice's Children; I Am Made Of You - Alice's Fans; I Am Made Of You - God; I Am Made Of You - Steven. It's also not Auto tune. Auto tune is used to make people who can't sing sound in tune. It's a square wave effect, made to create an sharp edged electronic sound to Alice's voice, like he's dissolving into a dream state. Move past the idea that it's a pop thing. The effect has been around for over a decade"

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:46 am

"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Isn't it the same effect that was used on Cher's vocal on 'Believe'? That is, 'vocoder'.

Shattered? In pieces? In the dark and cold? Dying?
Needing rescuing? Imprisoned? Needing revelation and salvation?

All those states pre Sheryl, the fans and the children? I don't think so do you? Otherwise it paints a very miserable picture for those not fortunate in life to have those things - and there are many!

Aside from that, EVEN if it was bout those things, what on earth does he now believe (in the lyrics) in as a consequence?

The song is about being a born again Christian. It’s as clear as day.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Gunner wrote:Isn't it the same effect that was used on Cher's vocal on 'Believe'? That is, 'vocoder'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_tune

Auto-Tune uses a phase vocoder to correct pitch in vocal and instrumental performances.

While its main purpose is to slightly blend sung pitches to the nearest true semitone (to the exact pitch of the nearest tone in traditional equal temperament), Auto-Tune can be used as an effect to distort the human voice when pitch is raised or lowered significantly.[3] The overall effect to the discerning ear can be described as hearing, for example, the voice leap from note to note stepwise, like a synthesizer.

In popular music

Auto-Tune was used to produce the prominent altered vocal effect on Cher's "Believe", recorded in 1998, the first major hit song to employ the software for this purpose. When first interviewed about this, the producers claimed that they had used a Digitech Talker FX pedal, in what Sound on Sound perceived as an attempt to preserve a trade secret.[6] After the massive success of "Believe", many artists imitated the technique, which became known as the "Cher Effect". It was evident in songs of the late 1990s and early 2000s.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Devon wrote:Tweaking and altering is nothing new, but with ProTools is 10x a lot easier to do now. Vocally and musically there have been tricks and cheats for a few decades that have been done (some discovered by accident, some on purpose.) Even Pink Floyd had to use a vocal cheat for David Gilmour on the "Wish You Were Here" album!

But since we KNOW that auto-tune wasn't used in the capacity that had been previously thought, admittedly even by me, it's no good to discuss the ifs, ands and buts about it in regards to "I Am Made of You."
You need to get your facts right.

It was Roger Waters who strained his voice on Shine On You Crazy Diamond and couldn't sing Have A Cigar so Roy Harper who was also recording at Abbey Road helped out when Gilmour declined to take over from Waters on the song.

Also people are splitting hairs over auto tune, it is a term in the public consciousness now that either means "that effect Cher used" or the subtle fixing of a vocal in the studio.
Alice used something similar on I Am Made Of You for effect and most people hadn't heard of Square Wave, but to suggest Alice can't sing and is using auto tune to keep in tune all over the place is not true.

It is used in the industry, but having heard it used in recording studios it isn't something Alice needs. Just listen to before it existed, I think Alice proved he was a fantastic singer on his classic records so does anyone really think he can't deliver without auto tune?

People don't give Alice the respect he deserves as a singer, just because he doesnt have the vocal range of say a David Coverdale means jack to me, no one has had such an original malevolent voice and just ask musicians who played with him like Al Pitrelli who said how good his pitch is and how underrated he is as a vocalist.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:40 pm

If Alice had needed a vocal effect box of tricks, he would have used it on every track..he's disorted his voice in past(the method doesnt matter)..Alice has always been aware of his vocal range(he once marvelled at Steve Tyler's range and said he was no Rod Stewart)..however Alice' vocals are rich and expressive-he sells a song well in menacing fashion..he has nothing to prove.I've seen him live many times..vocals have been very good..he's a ROCK STAR not an opera singer(I know the difference I am related to one-an opera singer that is) and Alice's voice is gr8 for rock..end off!
You are an individual, just like everybody else.