Under the bed before Nightmare Returns?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Under the bed before Nightmare Returns?

Post by andyrew » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:39 pm

When I get my fan pack should i put Under the Bed before The Nightmare Returns or after?

The album is awesome but for some reason it seems shorter than WTMN even though WTMN is 43 minutes and this is 10-15 minutes longer. :/ I gueess its cause the songs go by quicker since most are 3 minutes long, compared to all of them being 4-5 minutes like the first 1 and I haven;t listened to it as many times as WTMN

killer_juju
Trash
Trash

Re: Under the bed before Nightmare Returns?

Post by killer_juju » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:55 pm

I put it right after The Nightmare Returns. It kind of made me think of the state where you feel awake, but you are clearly having a nightmare. So technically, it had already returned. It could fit before it also though. Just depending on your interpretation of the song.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 pm

oh cool! Thanks! I cant wait to hear it. :alice:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:08 pm

I would put it 2nd or 3rd....
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:29 am

is it 10-15 minutes longer with the versions that have bonus tracks or the standard release? just curious..I got the "bare minimum" cd. I'm cool with that,I figured this is the recording as intended. a song out of place and old songs live just seem a weird thing to tack on to a record that has a certain order to begin with.

of course this is me speaking from the point of view that best buy sold out,I had to have it today, and target was open and had a few copies! lol!

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:42 pm

This song definitely belongs somewhere. It's brilaint I read in then fan pack magazine where alice comments on the track and he said despite it being the first track they wrote, it didn;t quite fit, I have to say Coops judgment many have been off on this one, at least going by the very positive fan reaction its getting. a bad situation we can safely slot as a bonus, as well as flatline. under the bed is epic, fits in perfectly conceptually as it could easily go after caffeine or even after nightmare returns, when he's starting to feel the nightmare returning before he gets whisked away on the runaway train. Musically, its epic. for me, the fan pack was worth it almost to have this track as part of the cd. magazine is fantastic of course.

Twiggy5Manson
Trash
Trash

Post by Twiggy5Manson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm pretty tempted to try and fit it into the proper tracklisting as well. I can see what Alice means about it not really fitting since it should really replace The Nightmare Returns in a way but if need be it could be slotted before or after Caffeine. I'm kind of leaning towards before since from I Am Made Of You to Caffeine is a bit jarring and also I kind of like the crash from Caffeine into the falling asleep of The Nightmare Returns so it's like Caffeine and the ice cold showers were the solution to the fears he expressed on Under The Bed but ultimately he falls asleep. It's a great song though and I love the elements of Black Widow and Welcome To My Nightmare in it, I thought it was a cool idea to use motifs from the original in the sequel that's why I'm inclined to try and make it fit rather than just have it slapped at the end.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:30 pm

It's 10-15 minutes longer with the versions that have bonus tracks or the standard release? just curious..I got the "bare minimum" cd. I'm cool with that,I figured this is the recording as intended. a song out of place and old songs live just seem a weird thing to tack on to a record that has a certain order to begin with.

It's 10-15 minutes longer than WTMN as just the standard release...the bonus tracks make it over an hour. But in my opinion, having so many 3 minute type tracks made the album go by very quickly. Seemed even faster than WTMN even though its 52 minutes long. Alice is at his best when he does longer conceptual songs and the record flows a lot better too. But I still think this album is 1 of his best and it still flows fairly well. When one song ends, another one starts up right away without a 3- 5 second gap. I love that. :clap:

As for the bonus tracks, everyone has their own interpretation as to whether they belong or in what order. I'm talking about the recorded bonus tracks though not the live ones. Your right it would seem like a weird thing to put together with the rest of the record. I got some from ITunes and then another bonus track on the fan pack so I'm just waiting to merge Under The Bed either before or after the Nightmare Returns and listen to it all in it's entirety.

Only a few more days til I (probably)get my fan pack and vinyl!! :rock:

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Yea, I placed Under The Bed right after I Am Made Of You. Seems to make sense to me anyway. I'd love to put Flatline in there somewhere too. Maybe just before Underture or I Gotta Ge Outta Here.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:58 pm

> I'd love to put Flatline in there somewhere too. Maybe just before Underture or I Gotta Ge Outta Here.

I dunno where I'd put flatline. Before the Underture could work cause the Underture could be taken as a track where his brain is slowly fading away and dying so hes recalling memories of everything. So if he dies in Flatline, then the Underture is a great piece to recap his life in the afterlife or showing the process of his mind slowly dying right after.

Vlad the Impala
Killer
Killer

Post by Vlad the Impala » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:06 pm

I put 'Under the Bed' just after 'Caffeine', mainly because he seems to be moving into 'Steven'-land, so the effect of the Caffeine has now worn off.
School's out FOREVER!!"
Speaking as an ex-teacher, I can confirm that it really is!!

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Interesting to note after reading Alice comments in the fan pack, that Under The Bed was one of the first songs written for the album but in the end him and Bob decided that it didnt fit the album so they left it off.

killer_juju
Trash
Trash

Post by killer_juju » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Sadly, it seems like the first fruits would've made a great album, but they decided to go in a different, modern Alice direction which is not appealing to my ears.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 am

All this re synching is really bad, This is the way alice wanted us to here the album. Why it would be like taking off the non auto tune from I Am Made Of You.