W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

MovieDemon
Trash
Trash

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by MovieDemon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:16 pm

I wasn't happy with the album cover or the samples I heard but of course, I still picked up the CD from Best Buy on my lunch break. I was completely prepared for the worst. I had heard some rave reviews from the fans calling it "brilliant" and "a masterpiece" and truth be told, it was annoying me. I heard the samples and thought that either some Alice fans are smoking crack or that they're easy to please as long as it's Alice Cooper's name on the CD. Well, I have now heard the whole album - twice over - and I love it! It's no masterpiece like the 1975 original but this is old school Alice in the 21st century. This is a diverse, fun album that is a worthy follow-up. Yes, it's not as "creepy" as the original and yes, it's more of a Goes 2 Hell than a Welcome 2 My Nightmare but it is a whole lot of fun. It really plays out so well in my mind. It's the return of theatrical Alice in the vein of his yesteryear concept albums. For me, Welcome 2 My Nightmare makes Alice's last 5 albums seem like subpar efforts. This may not play well to non-Alice fans but who cares about them?

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm on my 3rd listen. Wow, how powerful of an opening song is I Am Made Of You ?
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:28 am

Have to say, I really do love this one: it's very 'meaty' in terms of thought - and that catches you on the very first song "I Am Made Of You'. I know, some of you hate the whole autotune thing etc..but it really helps convey the feeling that it's "someone else" talking to you; could be Alice to the Real Alice, or Stephen to Alice or Alice to the public...the interpretations are endless, it's really beautiful and powerful.

Aside from that: love the story, the music is diverse - which is one of my favorite things about Alice to begin with. It's serious, it's funny and about the coolest thing I've heard in a very long time.

BTW: don't listen to it first time in the car - I did and burst into laughter on the first few counts of "Last Man On Earth" - in my head I saw Mr. Heat Miser and nearly had to pull over because I couldn't see the road! LOL!

Excellent piece of work.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:33 am

Still waiting for fan pack, but picked it up at best buy today. My review would be close to horrorholic and movie demon. As I said going in, if it cracks my top 15 of Alice lps I would be very happy. I am sure it will eventually land in my top 15, but not top 10.
After all the complaints about claps on ACAS lp, I was surprised nobody else has complained about the very annoying cabasa on IBYFO (overkill). Aside from that I love the studio version. I was made-is a great as everyone has commented. Hell was really good, great riff. Runaway Train was good, but never really ran away (i.e. didn't go anywhere). I gotta-is my favorite song, could have been a big Tom Petty hit years ago. Baby wants- is much better than I expected, would have been a great video in the 80s. Disco not as bad as some complained, and I really liked Ghouls as a fun tune. Last Man-not as big a fan as many. Don't understand the complaints about mixing in the old tunes, I though it worked well.

Really classy of Alice to let original band members have lead writing credits on all of their songs.
Loved the back page of booklet, agree w/horror that this would have been a great cover. Also really like the banding on the snake being Alice eyes.
Enjoyed the VP comment in the credits.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 am

Got my ITunes, Best Buy, and Vinyl today...can't get enough...think I have acute "Cooperitis." For once, a disease I am glad there is no cure...I want it forever! LOL

Meanwhile, Under the Bed is GENIUS...that chorus is one of the best I've ever heard.

"Save me...I can't take anymore...cause its happening again...I've had this nightmare before...and i know...how it ends...how it...ends!"

GENIUS!!! I get goosebumps...and that part about the cat...wow!!! CREEPY!!!
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 am

When I listen to I Am Made of You....my imagination sees Steven developing from a "pit of dreams"....like a gooey mass that slowly becomes solid....as the song builds in strength, so does Steven.

FREEKING GOOSEBUMPS AMAZING!
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 am

BellaDonna said..."BTW: don't listen to it first time in the car - I did and burst into laughter on the first few counts of "Last Man On Earth" - in my head I saw Mr. Heat Miser and nearly had to pull over because I couldn't see the road! LOL!"

I see the same thing...."Mr. Heat Miser.." is one of the best songs...and I laugh everytime.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:35 am

album is up to number 15 on amazon US!!

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:15 pm

HORRORHOLIC wrote:I'm on my 3rd listen. Wow, how powerful of an opening song is I Am Made Of You ?
Ridiculously powerful. The best Alice Cooper song I've heard, and my new personal favourite. It seems at first glance a deeply personal song about Alice's relationship with God, but I think theres more than meets the eye to this one. The piano intro suggests something to do with Steve, so maybe Alice's comment thatn its Stevens personal prayer for "salvation" before the nightmare comes for him again is valid
I have my own deeply peronal meaning to the song that just hits all the right buttons fot me (and its not god. Combine that with the power in the music, the haunting vocoder effect (yes, i like it!) and this song pretty much had my jaw dropped as soon as i have it a whirl.

I'm getting the feeling that the nightmare this time is something a little more personal to alice. Is it a tongue in cheek battle against his demons, and knowing he would be headed on a runaway train to hell if he didn't find and accept his salvation?
I'm interested to hear some of your thoughts on this, particulatly Andymichael who I reckon has some further ways to illuminate this. ;)

I'm looking forward to my meet and greet with Coop after Melbourne, Australia, where I want to chat to him about the track.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:38 pm

>particulatly Andymichael who I reckon has some further ways to illuminate this.

You flatter me but as I said previously (and as Alice's assistant commented just recently), there's various interpretations.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:49 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>particulatly Andymichael who I reckon has some further ways to illuminate this.

You flatter me but as I said previously (and as Alice's assistant commented just recently), there's various interpretations.
Whats the one that makes sense to you?
And is my interpretation of what was happening in the album feasible or completely off the mark

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:58 pm

>Whats the one that makes sense to you?

My immediate reaction was that this was Steven singing to Alice (the character), basically saying
'I am part of your personality. Without you I don't exist and I only exist in your nightmares'. However, there's also a strong spiritual slant to it with at least one biblical reference, as well. So I don't think there's "only one that makes sense" and again, Alice has given at least three interpretations. One of the best examples of this, believe it or not, is "Poison" - I can think of at least three different interpretation to that.

>And is my interpretation of what was happening in the album feasible or completely off the mark

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. It seems perfectly valid.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Further to that, the album after the opener almost plays out like a warning, a what if? If he hadnt found his strenghth and salvAtion and continued down that path with his personal demons, he would end up on a runaway train where he was no longer in control, where this metaphorical nightmare happens that may seem triumphant at times, weird, crazy, funny, sometimes scary but ultimately when he decides enough is enough and he has to get out of it...well too late. "what part of dead dont you get" Alice has made no bones in the past that the way he was going was going to kill him. But cut to the opener..."now im free!"

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

And a lyric in runaway train may contain a hint..."but im a big celebrity known all around the land""well buddy you aint noone here you aint in demand"
Hes saying how can I lose control, everyone knows me. His demons say that doesnt mean a thing with where your headed.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:29 pm

new positive review from Allmusic...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/welcome-2 ... e-r2259822

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:58 pm

and another positive review...from KROQ radio station...

http://kroq.radio.com/2011/09/13/review ... ce-cooper/

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:24 pm

and yet another positive review....
http://rockandrollazine.blogspot.com/20 ... tmare.html

unafraid
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by unafraid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:32 pm

GailsFriend wrote:When I listen to I Am Made of You....my imagination sees Steven developing from a "pit of dreams"....like a gooey mass that slowly becomes solid....as the song builds in strength, so does Steven.
That's a cool interpretation, liking it!
You got the picnic, I got the ants.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 pm

I am made of you kinda reminds me of "My God", "Steven" and "Pass the Gun Around" put together! Really cool combo to tailor a song after. :rock:

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:46 am

GailsFriend wrote:
When I listen to I Am Made of You....my imagination sees Steven developing from a "pit of dreams"....like a gooey mass that slowly becomes solid....as the song builds in strength, so does Steven.
When I listen to "I Am Made of You", I sense Alice telling us his feelings about being 'rock bottom' (with the alcohol problem) and following the light of 'God' out of the darkness to re-invent Alice and re-enter 'The Nightmare' - hence the line, 'You are the singer, I am the song' - being the key difference between the two 'nightmares'. Of course, the 'story' may well have many unfolding layers, but that is what I get from the first strong very loudly and VERY clearly.