W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

criss
Killer
Killer

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by criss » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:06 am

kevinuk81 wrote:Apart from IBYFO, which stands out by a mile, and DBBF, then i don't rate this album, but that is after the 1st listen, to me, it doesn't tell a story like WTMN or GTH, just a mash of songs put together, and as some on here have said about ACAS, i never listened to anything else for 3 months when that came out, sorry people, but W2MN in my opinion is not anywhere near the top 15 Alice albums.
Also, if i wanted to hear parts of the original album, i would have listened to that again.

I agree 100% that the parts inserted from wtmn should stay on the original album .

The underture and its mixxing of the gems like only women bleed ect with the few tunes from w2mn smacks as a cheap gimic ( I fail to see the relationship ) This marrage also highlights that the new tunes are not even close to par with the wtmn tunes .

When you have a medley that places classics tunes next to fairly average tunes your going to compare them .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:25 am

I agree 100% that the parts inserted from wtmn should stay on the original album .
If the music calls for it then they were in their right to add those parts in. The first song is starting Steven's story here, and instead of having Alice say "Hey, I'm Steven, here's my song," then start it off with what is considered to be probably the most recognizable (or secondly recognizable) riff, the Steven fanfare. To me, that was brilliant to do. It's almost like a Star Trek episode without the famous Star Trek fanfare everytime you see the Enterprise on screen for the first time, etc.

On the other hand, I don't mind the Overture but it was suggested to me a while back that perhaps it could have taken the "Grand Finale" route rather than being comprised of music from both albums. In fact, maybe have a mini suite (and that is the purpose of overtures, suites, etc.) with some of the parts working together and then an entirely new arrangement to end the album off.

You can't limit yourself from doing something on the album "Just because," which alot of the complaints about the autotune, Ke$ha, all boiled down to. It was the "idea" of it, not the execution, which is where a lot of the complaints were getting confused. For instance, there were a few people who were bashing the "idea" of Ke$ha being on the new album without anything to base it on other than "Well.. be.. be.. because it's Ke$ha!" However, the people who had actually heard it, starting with Mitch, and then the ones who obtained the early leak from Amazon, said that Ke$ha's part worked really well (thus they were basing their opinion on the execution of it.)

In this case, I think the Steven fanfare worked effectively on "I Am Made of You" and "The Nightmare Returns." That's just my opinion, it's worth a few cents and a cheap cup of coffee.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 am

"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:32 am

Just downloaded A Bad Situation on iTunes (was surprised to see this wasn't an album only offering). Has anyone downloaded the interview (which is album only)? Worth forking out for the full album (again)?
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 am

Also, did anyone notice when uploading the Fan Pack CD to iTunes that IBYFO reads as I'll Bite Your Head Off!

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:35 am

How was a Bad Situation. The last of the bonus tracks

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 am

homerx wrote:How was a Bad Situation. The last of the bonus tracks
Still need to hear flatline. I was glad you could buy the tracks individually on i tunes. Saved me shelling out for the album a 5 time. A Bad situation is just a straight ahead high quality rocker. Not a patch on under the bed but still good.
Boomshanka

hannu30
Trash
Trash

Post by hannu30 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 am

kevinuk81 wrote:Apart from IBYFO, which stands out by a mile, and DBBF, then i don't rate this album, but that is after the 1st listen, to me, it doesn't tell a story like WTMN or GTH, just a mash of songs put together, and as some on here have said about ACAS, i never listened to anything else for 3 months when that came out, sorry people, but W2MN in my opinion is not anywhere near the top 15 Alice albums.
Also, if i wanted to hear parts of the original album, i would have listened to that again.
Seems to be a constant factor: people who really liked ACAS don't like this album ans vice verse.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 am

Interesting should. Downloaded Tuesday morning when I get home then. Wish. Albums came out on Mondays here.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:50 am

Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:41 pm

>He said in that interview that I Am Made Of You is Steven/Alice saying a final prayer

In a subsequent interview, he said that it was one possible interpetation (and he gave alternative interpretations as well).

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:46 pm

>The underture and its mixxing of the gems like only women bleed ect with the few tunes from w2mn smacks as a cheap gimic ( I fail to see the relationship )

It is meant to be a joke. When you go to see a musical, there is tradionally an overture at the beginning which is like a medley of the music you are about to hear. On this album, he has the overture at the end, which is the opposite hence the title and the purpose of that track.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:55 pm

>A Bad situation is just a straight ahead high quality rocker.

Also, I think it was originally written for "Along Came A Spider" but with different lyrics and different title.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:05 pm

>He said in that interview that I Am Made Of You is Steven/Alice saying a final prayer

That was my interpretation of the song based on it's position in the album.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Why all the hate for "the Underture?" I thought they did a great job by starting the album off with the Steven piano part and ending it off in the same sort of fashion. IT's really cool to see the older music mixed with the newer music creating an epic finale! :rock:

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:30 pm

andyrew wrote:Why all the hate for "the Underture?" I thought they did a great job by starting the album off with the Steven piano part and ending it off in the same sort of fashion. IT's really cool to see the older music mixed with the newer music creating an epic finale! :rock:
I think 'The Underture' is a stunning piece of arrangement and certainly doesn't strike me as being a 'cheap gimmick'.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:44 pm

I think the Underture is genius...just like this whole album...a stunning masterpiece...really would love to see this get a Grammy nom...easily the album of the year.

I can't wait to get all the versions this week and do my review and upload it to youtube.
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:>He said in that interview that I Am Made Of You is Steven/Alice saying a final prayer

That was my interpretation of the song based on it's position in the album.
Well, I (like to) think that I am Made of You is for us... the idea of us making all this adventure happen again, like a dedication for the fans who brought Alice/Steven back in these situations from track 2 til the last.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:08 pm

re hannu30s comment, I confess to liking ACAS and W2- RE W2, one big strength is that it leaves the listener to draw his/her own conclusions(i think andy alluded to this )...most great work IMO leaves things open to interpretation-e.g.Bob Dylan..from a marketing standpoint it has the happy effect of drawing in more people/selling more and Alice can live with that
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:27 pm

>Well, I (like to) think that I am Made of You is for us...

That is another possibility which he offered.