W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:30 am

HORRORHOLIC wrote:And yet another http://myglobalmind.com/7701/alice-coop ... nightmare/

This one has me worried a little. Remember me saying I was worried about it sounding like a Weid Al comedy type thing ? this guy actually says that about one of the songs lol

I think this review is fair. 5/10 album at best. I think there's only 1 classic on it and that is IBYFO. Better than ACAS but I'd prefer Dirty Diamonds over it.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:01 am

The Dark Menace wrote:When it comes to packaging, Alice and Bob Ezrin are their own worst enemies.
Go on, expand further on this.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:02 am

pitkin88 wrote:I think this review is fair.
It isn't.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:06 am

HORRORHOLIC wrote:I don't know, this guy seems to know what he's talking about.
He says "I Am Made of You" is entirely done with autotune which is false.
He mentioned alot of things he din't care for but still gave the album a 7 out of 10.
He gave it a 3 out of 10. But poor kid was "so disappointed" that words couldn't describe it... so he gives us a written review to talk about it. He just wanted to see his words on the screen is all.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:07 am

HORRORHOLIC wrote:And yet another http://myglobalmind.com/7701/alice-coop ... nightmare/

This one has me worried a little. Remember me saying I was worried about it sounding like a Weid Al comedy type thing ? this guy actually says that about one of the songs lol
How about listening to the album itself instead of getting worked up over reviews of the album.

I really don't understand why someone would purposely avoid listening to any songs off the album, yet then go ahead and read every last review of the album and get worked into a tizzy.

You might as well have just gone ahead and listened to the songs that have been played because you have preconceived notions anyhow now.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:20 am

Darren said:
"Alice took a chance with this album, he tried different vocal stylings, and effects. This is a departure of what we know Alice to be. That is taking a chance...and that chance is some people not liking it because it is different. It doesn't make them any less of a fan or have less perspective. In fact, they are looking at things in perspective to what Alice has done in the past...which this record is very different from."

Um, Alice has taken SO many chances with his career and life, that it's AMAZING that:

1) he is alive, because he nearly died from being an alcoholic
2) he is still making music, in any form
3) he still has a large fanbase after all the different musical "chances" over 42 years.

Most musicians' careers would die and have died because of some of the things Alice has done:

1) create concept albums
2) break up with original band and go solo
3) change or infuse different musical styles and themes
4) being controversial, tasteless, or obnoxious

For me, Alice taking a "chance" is just what he has been doing for his whole career.
Last edited by GailsFriend on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:20 am

Alice just commented on Rockline that "I Am Made Of You" was co-written with Desmond Child.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:47 am

Devon wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:I think this review is fair.
It isn't.

Is so :p

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:50 am

Devon wrote:
He mentioned alot of things he din't care for but still gave the album a 7 out of 10.
He gave it a 3 out of 10. But poor kid was "so disappointed" that words couldn't describe it... so he gives us a written review to talk about it. He just wanted to see his words on the screen is all.

That's nonsense. Why are you so bent out of shape that someone didn't like the album? I don't remember the original getting great reviews either.

The Dark Menace
Trash
Trash

Post by The Dark Menace » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:55 am

In the end the album art and direction is up to Alice and/or Bob Ezrin (or even Shep Gordon). The art reduces Alice, who is a very diverse and interesting artist, to a hokey caricature of himself.

Some people might say it doesn't matter, it's just the music that matters.

Sorry, but the art DOES matter. It's the first thing a person sees on the reviews pages, it's the first thing a person sees when they think of purchasing the CD.

If some people think it's unflattering to Alice that he's often lumped in with KISS this is the reason why. It comes off as gimmick but the covers with the original band weren't like that. Can you imagine the Constrictor cover on B$B? No way. B$B has an awesome cover, much more subtle, artistic...an underlying sense of danger.

I'm beating this to death but it's because I think Alice is an overlooked artist and performer and one of the reasons is his own decision to market himself this way.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:58 am

The Dark Menace wrote:Can you imagine the Constrictor cover on B$B? No way. B$B has an awesome cover, much more subtle, artistic...an underlying sense of danger.
This is interesting since your original comment made it sound like Bob AND Alice were not great when it came to packaging (as though when they become a combo?)

The Dark Menace
Trash
Trash

Post by The Dark Menace » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:06 am

In the end it's Alice himself for all his solo albums, but in the case of the new album I'd think Bob Ezrin would have a say also.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:19 am

The Dark Menace wrote:In the end the album art and direction is up to Alice and/or Bob Ezrin (or even Shep Gordon). The art reduces Alice, who is a very diverse and interesting artist, to a hokey caricature of himself.

Sorry, but the art DOES matter. It's the first thing a person sees on the reviews pages, it's the first thing a person sees when they think of purchasing the CD.

If some people think it's unflattering to Alice that he's often lumped in with KISS this is the reason why. It comes off as gimmick but the covers with the original band weren't like that. Can you imagine the Constrictor cover on B$B? No way. B$B has an awesome cover, much more subtle, artistic...an underlying sense of danger.

I'm beating this to death but it's because I think Alice is an overlooked artist and performer and one of the reasons is his own decision to market himself this way.

In this day and age with the CD and downloads I don't think the cover is as important as it once was. I don't particularly like cover but the again what was so special about the original? To me it looks like bland wallpaper. Alice Cooper had terrific covers leading up to WTMN and I was quite shocked when I first saw it. Thankfully the original had brilliant music.

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:22 am

As I told you before it's not like a Weird Al comedy thing..It's a great album...you have to make your own mind up [after you listen to it of course].. people should forget about the negative reviews as they can cloud your judgement.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:31 am

GailsFriend wrote:Darren said:
"Alice took a chance with this album, he tried different vocal stylings, and effects. This is a departure of what we know Alice to be. That is taking a chance...and that chance is some people not liking it because it is different. It doesn't make them any less of a fan or have less perspective. In fact, they are looking at things in perspective to what Alice has done in the past...which this record is very different from."

Um, Alice has taken SO many chances with his career and life, that it's AMAZING that:

1) he is alive, because he nearly died from being an alcoholic
2) he is still making music, in any form
3) he still has a large fanbase after all the different musical "chances" over 42 years.

Most musicians' careers would die and have died because of some of the things Alice has done:

1) create concept albums
2) break up with original band and go solo
3) change or infuse different musical styles and themes
4) being controversial, tasteless, or obnoxious

For me, Alice taking a "chance" is just what he has been doing for his whole career.

Good post!!

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:25 am

You can't list 10 bands that have gone 40+ years with little down times. As most had the early albums/touring then a large gap before regrouping

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Post by alicespoisonuk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:35 am

The Dark Menace wrote:In the end the album art and direction is up to Alice and/or Bob Ezrin (or even Shep Gordon). The art reduces Alice, who is a very diverse and interesting artist, to a hokey caricature of himself.

Agree with you Dark Menace - for me the key here for the album cover is "subtlety". Now that I have heard the album and I do like it - the cover seems not to fit the content (imo) even more!

M
"You trade your soul for another taste....."

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Devon wrote:
I was talking about this review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBL6ElPr9R4

and to RemarkablyInsecure, I think you need to read the rest of what I've been saying
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Miller wrote:

As I told you before it's not like a Weird Al comedy thing..It's a great album...you have to make your own mind up [after you listen to it of course].. people should forget about the negative reviews as they can cloud your judgement.
I know, I was just joking around because I thought it was funny he mentione Weird Al too
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:25 pm

The Dark Menace wrote:
"In the end the album art and direction is up to Alice and/or Bob Ezrin (or even Shep Gordon). The art reduces Alice, who is a very diverse and interesting artist, to a hokey caricature of himself.

I'm beating this to death but it's because I think Alice is an overlooked artist and performer and one of the reasons is his own decision to market himself this way."

Being that I graduated from college with an art degree...I can make a comment. From my point of view, if anyone has any problems with the front cover, back cover or any artistic direction of Welcome 2 My Nightmare....why don't you just whip out the ol' pencils, pens and paints and make up a new album cover, eh? That's what I did about Lady Gaga's album cover (now THAT is a bad cover!..).
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"