Alice in the new Dark Shadows movie?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Re: Alice in the new Dark Shadows movie?

Post by Street Schizo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:59 pm

SickThings wrote:You're welcome! ;)

That's always been one of my problems with certain actors. Jack Nicholson was awful in The Shining because he was just being Jack Nicholson. Same thing again in Burton's Batman. It was just Nicholson doing the same schtick as he'd done in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest....

Depp actually does a better job than most of getting into a character, but there's not a single person on the planet who will go see that movie and not think about it being Depp....

That's why I love movies with no-name actors, or the occasional people like Gary Oldman who are virtually unrecognizable in their different roles.

Hunter
I saw The Shining before I saw Cuckoo's Nest. I thought Jack was great in both. And yes he playing himself. That's his draw. Like Clint Eastwood in a way. The guy can't act but do we really want to see anyone else in those roles? Hell no. At least I don't. Sometimes the actors' own personality is more interesting than the character their supposed to be playing. However I agree with you about Depp and Oldman. Especially Oldman. That guy is simply one of the best at his craft.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:26 pm

That's always been one of my problems with certain actors. Jack Nicholson was awful in The Shining because he was just being Jack Nicholson. Same thing again in Burton's Batman. It was just Nicholson doing the same schtick as he'd done in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest....

Depp actually does a better job than most of getting into a character, but there's not a single person on the planet who will go see that movie and not think about it being Depp....

That's why I love movies with no-name actors, or the occasional people like Gary Oldman who are virtually unrecognizable in their different roles.

Hunter
but you need to differentiate between a book and the film, Nicholson was brilliant in the Shining and even better in Cuckoos Nest.

For example I read the Omen before I saw the film and the book scared me more than the film but I loved the film as I didn't have pre conceptions that it was going to be the same as the book
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:06 pm

steven_crayn wrote: but you need to differentiate between a book and the film, Nicholson was brilliant in the Shining and even better in Cuckoos Nest.
Leaving the book comparisons out, I agree about Nicholson's performance in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The Shining was just more of the same. Nicholson did (fake) crazy brilliantly in Nest. The schtick was old by the time The Shining came out, and even older by the time Batman came out.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy those movies, but I enjoy them despite Nicholson's over-the-top sameness....

Hunter

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Can anyone get this back on topic? ;)

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:23 pm

This isn't really back on-topic, but it's closer: for those of you in the U.S. with Netflix streaming, the Dark Shadows TV show is available, as is the 1990s version.

Hunter

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:43 pm

I vaguley remember the 91 version and I used to be a be fan of the old 60s version. On top of watching it on Netflix, if anyone is in the mood for a few good laughs you should check out the Dark Shadows bloopers on YouTube. Keep in mind it was a live show, but boy there were LOTS of bloopers, both with actors lines but more importantly the props! Had me in stitches one night (no pun intended.)
Me = Winning

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Alice confirmed on the lee mack show that he was in DS, i think he made some comment like they were filming Fri and he still didn't know which part it was, lol.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:01 am

I used to love the original Dark Shadowns. I remember as child watching the reruns and then they brought it back on Sci-Fi many years later as well. WYM is correct, there was tons of bloopers but overall the series was very well done. The best storylines were compelling.

I also liked the 1991 remake. From what I recall, the show was doing okay with a much larger budget but then the Persian Gulf War occurred which preempted a lot of shows and that was a disaster especially for the newer programs and that more or less killed the momentum Dark Shadows had. In other words, I look forward to this film.

Having Alice in a small role, in my opinion, makes complete sense since many consider him the original gothic rocker or certainly one of the original pioneers. If I am not mistaken, I believe that Calico is appearing in a new movie as well.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:06 am

Yes Calico is in : '30 Proof Coil' - a horrormovie.

See also the newssection.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 am

So it has been confirmed that Alice is playing himself circa 1972 singing No More Mr Nice Guy at a party that Barnabas Collins has at his manor...I wasn't expecting Alice to play himself but cool none the less...wanted to see this movie before I knew Alice was going to be in it...now more than ever :)
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:30 am

Hunter
Nicholson was great in the shining because he was being jack napie...i mean jack nicholson.

Flash
Trash
Trash

Post by Flash » Fri May 04, 2012 11:34 am

Just came from the press screening of DARK SHADOWS...

!!!SPOILERS BELOW!!!

!!!SPOILERS BELOW!!!

!!!SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Alice Cooper is the last actor credited in the main titles: "with Alice Cooper" - more publicity to Alice, and confirms the average cinema goers that it is really Alice playing himself!

There are couple of Alice posters on the wall of Chloë Grace Moretz's room along with Bowie, Iggy etc. (I think one of the Alice posters was actually from later period, but you have to be a hardcore fan to spot the difference).

The "happening" party sequence starts well after an hour. Most of the main bits of "No More Mr. Nice Guy" performance are in the trailer already - really not much more of it in the film. The song keeps playing quietly in the background when the camera cuts to the other characters talking etc. The song seemed to be slightly edited to match better with the editing of the film.

Then follows "Ballad of Dwight Fry"! Chloë Grace Moretz says the opening words on the stage: "Mommy...", and Alice appears briefly in the straight jacket and starts to sing :clap: Then the film cuts quite fast to other stuff, but the edited bits of the song play (sometimes louder than "No More Mr. Nice Guy") in the background. After a while when you might think we don't get to see anymore Alice, we still see him briefly on the stage singing Dwight Fry. Also bits of Dwight Fry back up a flashback sequence which is in the middle of this party sequence (can't recall if this was between the two songs, or in the middle of the actual Dwight Fry performance). Having edited bits of Dwight Fry play in two sequences makes you almost feel like hearing it twice.

All in all we don't get to see much of Alice but it is all great! :)

In the background we also constantly hear tunes by other artists (that are mentioned in the soundtrack thead) like "Season of the Witch", "Superfly", "Highway Star", "Paranoid" etc. As usual for a Tim Burton flick, we get to see Christopher Lee in one scene. The movie that Dark Shadows actually slightly resembles is Hammer's DRACULA A.D. 1972 with Lee, which is also referenced with the poster in front of a cinema.

The film is one of Tim Burton's better ones, and I can see this becoming a success.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat May 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Excellent. I'm excited to see this. I've been a Johnny Depp fan forever, and tend to like his movies with Burton. Having a Cooper Cameo in it makes it all the better!
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 am

Does anyone know if Odeon have been throwing their toys out of the pram about something to do with Dark Shadows? I was looking a week or so ago to see if I could pre book tickets and the movie was listed under the "coming soon" section but now there's no mention of it anywhere on their site (obviously I'm looking at the UK site).

Very much looking forward to the movie and there seem to be quite a few different trailers floating about on British TV.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Fri May 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Well, tonight's the night. I'm going to the cinéma to see Ombres et ténèbres, the French version of Dark Shadows. I want to make sure that I understand everything. How many of you will go see that movie this week-end? Would be interesting to hear your reviews. Bonne soirée!
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

Greenie
Killer
Killer

Post by Greenie » Sat May 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Was really great, very funny! Go see it.
Today, the pond... Tomorrow, the woooorld!

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 am

Saw it. It has problems, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Alice was used very well. Some of the best laughs in the flick were at his expense.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 am

NMMNG came out in 1973 Movie is based in 1972 isn't it?
I may wait to see this on blu-ray.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sun May 13, 2012 10:36 am

It was an okay movie. Entertaining but not spectacular in any way. The scenes with Alice were handled very well and was some of the best in the movie IMO.

However there were a few minor Alice related details that bugged me:
The band looked like the original band which was great but they didn't move like them, especially Dennis. The edits to the songs were quite good but most of the chorus to Dwight Fry was removed. And the daughter had a poster with a picture from the Madhouse Rock tour in her room.
But then again, these thing will only bug you if you're a total Alice nerd.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Been to see movie tonight..even without AC would have said was excellent..Alice clips were gr8..he appeared like the old gothic dark alice of 72 but his older face made him look more evil/in keeping with vampire movie..great exposure and greatly enjoyable
You are an individual, just like everybody else.