Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Just finished watching the DVD from the boxset. What a treat that was! Some of the stories were fantastic and it was great to finally see the full-length versions of the likes of Black Juju and Levity Ball. It's amazing watching the progression of the band... especially their stage presence. Alice looks kinda shy on the Levity Ball video, and his stage mannerisms in the early days had a much more feminine tinge to them.

Obviously there are a few minor criticisms, chiefly the camera work on the interview between Bob & Alice but given the time in which they turned this thing around, i'm very impressed with the whole thing.

The packaging is nothing short of stunning, i must have sat there for 2 hours just looking at the book and replica programs and images.

And ofcourse, the music is awesome. A massive thankyou to all the people involved in putting the boxset together, definitely something i'll cherish until my last days!

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:11 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:Just finished watching the DVD from the boxset. What a treat that was! Some of the stories were fantastic and it was great to finally see the full-length versions of the likes of Black Juju and Levity Ball. It's amazing watching the progression of the band... especially their stage presence. Alice looks kinda shy on the Levity Ball video, and his stage mannerisms in the early days had a much more feminine tinge to them.

Obviously there are a few minor criticisms, chiefly the camera work on the interview between Bob & Alice but given the time in which they turned this thing around, i'm very impressed with the whole thing.

The packaging is nothing short of stunning, i must have sat there for 2 hours just looking at the book and replica programs and images.

And ofcourse, the music is awesome. A massive thankyou to all the people involved in putting the boxset together, definitely something i'll cherish until my last days!
amen to that!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:27 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>What exactly does that mean "The arithmetic does not prove that"

You seem like an intelligent person, so I'm pretty sure you know what that means.
In other words you have no idea what that means...my guess is you think my time line is off, you better check your facts my friend...
Remember The Coop !!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:31 am

steven_crayn wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:
tommystooge wrote: ..
.although why bring Steve Hunter out on tour? Why give him a break and tour with the new band? When I saw the show, initially excited that he was going to be there, was embarrassed by it as he looked like he was struggling through the songs and didn't really add anything musically to the evening. He also looked totally out of place...Dennis on the other hand would have fit perfectly, although I understand he can't tour with one original member and not the others.
You don't know what you're talking about!

I was there at Phoenix Steve was awesome

I was there at Dublin Steve was awesome

I was there at Donington Steve was awesome

I was there at 100 Club Steve was awesome

I think I'm qualified to know when a guitar player is cutting it and Steve Hunter is still cutting it.

Do us a favour and engage your brain before you open your mouth because I have never heard so much ignorance in my life!
Your silence is deafening tommystooge how about an apology to Steve Hunter?

To further emphasise you are wrong have a look at this and tell me he doesn't offer anything, the man is still playing great and Alice seems pretty impressed during this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM0IMlEB ... ata_player
Wow, Steven, your really out to get me...

First I NEVER said Steve Hunter couldn't play...he's Amazing...but you just showed me clips of Steve wailing away on songs he's played for years...show me him playing Wicked Young Man...

AGAIN, I'm not out to get him, oh whatever, it's useless...is that silent enough for ya...
Remember The Coop !!

bebauz
Trash
Trash

Post by bebauz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:14 am

I just got mine in today at the record shop. #3009.

I had to open it there, it was like a kid on Christmas.
No gold ticket though ::((:

But that's ok this set went above and beyond my expectations. I listened to disk 1 and 2 on the way home. Disk 1 is great disk 2 was good in spots but not as good as the first disc. The bootleg CD is awesome! It is better quality than one I had received in a trade a few years back. I can't wait to play the vinyl of it! I'm a little hesitant to listen to disc 3 "In their own words" at the moment as it might be just a rehash of the DVD. The DVD was superb. After reading reviews on it on Amazon and here I was worried, but My Parents and I watched it, after I showed the box off to them of course. :rock: They really dug it, being fans of the original band as it happened. (My Dad saw the BDB tour, My Mom the Nightmare tour) The DVD WOW! Full clips of Levity Ball, Reflected, Black Ju Ju, I'm Eighteen, Is it my Body. I loved the story of how Halo of Flies came together.

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:24 am

definitely listen to the spoken word, there are things said that aren't on the dvd. You'll also love the first interview, it's an early one with Alice and Neal back in the day.
Remember The Coop !!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:25 am

has anyone gotten a golden ticket???
Remember The Coop !!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 am

Yes, I think someone posted in this thread earlier (or somewhere on the forums) that they had one.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 am

no, Si they didn't post it here. They sent you an email.
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:54 am

>In other words you have no idea what that means...

No, I know exactly "what that means".

>my guess is you think my time line is off,

I never said anything about a "time line" - I'm referring to basic music business accounting practises.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:56 am

> It's amazing watching the progression of the band...

That's good to know, as that's one of the things we were aiming at.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03 pm

>show me him playing Wicked Young Man...

I generally don't interject between a discussion which members are having, but your request above is somewhat unfair. The burden of proof of Steve Hunter's ability isn't on steven_crayn - it's on you because you made the original assertion based on just that one show you saw.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Si wrote:Yes, I think someone posted in this thread earlier (or somewhere on the forums) that they had one.
Someone posted on the Sickthings mailing list that they found a golden ticket.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:02 pm

>show me him playing wicked young man.....

Just check out some of the videos of the current tour on youtube. Wicked young man has never sounded so good live.
Boomshanka

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Question for those involved in the boxset... why wasn't the entire Chicago Underground show included?

It's one of my very favorite AC bootlegs. The band the year before international stardom.

What surprised me about this when I first heard it were the versions of "Eighteen" and "Is It My Body" (the latter especially) showing just how far they were progressing on their own as a band even before Bob Ezrin became involved.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:57 pm

>why wasn't the entire Chicago Underground show included?

That was a decision taken 'higher up the chain', as it were. I think it would have seemed a little weird to include the whole show as part of the audio rarites, yet have the "Killer" show as a seperate disc.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:51 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: That was a decision taken 'higher up the chain', as it were. I think it would have seemed a little weird to include the whole show as part of the audio rarites, yet have the "Killer" show as a seperate disc.
I see your point.

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:50 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>why wasn't the entire Chicago Underground show included?

That was a decision taken 'higher up the chain', as it were. I think it would have seemed a little weird to include the whole show as part of the audio rarites, yet have the "Killer" show as a seperate disc.
Personally, I couldn't be happier with such decision, as the sound quality of the Killer show is much better than the Chicago Underground tracks.
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Spot and Jerome wrote: Personally, I couldn't be happier with such decision, as the sound quality of the Killer show is much better than the Chicago Underground tracks.
I wasn't saying replace one with the other, but rather add the rest of the Chicago tracks to the box.

I just think the Chicago Underground is an unbelievably essential recording.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Spot and Jerome wrote: Personally, I couldn't be happier with such decision, as the sound quality of the Killer show is much better than the Chicago Underground tracks.
I wasn't saying replace one with the other, but rather add the rest of the Chicago tracks to the box.

I just think the Chicago Underground is an unbelievably essential recording.
thats will be on the next boxset ;)