ACAS- your view now?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Devon, Shoesalesman

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Different strokes for the different folks, i'm glad that some people really like it.... it just didn't float my boat.

To be fair though, it's only the 2nd album Alice has done in the past 20 years that i didn't like so it's not the end of the world!

User avatar
kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?
Posts: 51237
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: Kingshurst
Contact:

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:39 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:To be fair though, it's only the 2nd album Alice has done in the past 20 years that i didn't like so it's not the end of the world!
What was the other one?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Darren
Killer
Killer
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by Darren » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>So I'm not sure why some people dislike it so much and love the other two. It is the same style of 4/4 beat, with classic rock guitar playing.

Because not everyone has the same taste in songs. The "style" has nothing to do with it.
I never said everyone has the same taste in songs....I said it had the same Style of 4/4 beat and classic rock guitar riffs...style has nothing to do with it? oh please do explain.

Oh so would you please explain the difference between style and taste? and how you came to the conclusion that I had said everyone has the same taste in songs.

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:42 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:To be fair though, it's only the 2nd album Alice has done in the past 20 years that i didn't like so it's not the end of the world!
What was the other one?
Well i wasn't particularly blown away by Dragontown... although it did have a couple of really strong tracks on it which is more than i can say about ACAS.

But, i'm sure there are many here who loved that album too so it's all a matter of personal taste.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:33 pm

>never said everyone has the same taste in songs....

I never said you did.

>I said it had the same Style of 4/4 beat and classic rock guitar riffs...style has nothing to do with it? oh please do explain.

This is annoying me already because I am going to have quote from your post again, which I *already* quoted from. You wrote: "Over all, I dig the album...it's classic rock,...not really any different then TEOAC and DD...So I'm not sure why some people dislike it so much and love the other two. It is the same style of 4/4 beat, with classic rock guitar playing." So if you're *not* saying that someone has to like "Along Came A Spider" if they do happen to like "Dirty Diamonds", what ARE you saying then?

>Oh so would you please explain the difference between style and taste?

Is that a serious question? If so, buy yourself a dictionary.

> and how you came to the conclusion that I had said everyone has the same taste in songs.

You need to settle down. I never said that.

Darren
Killer
Killer
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by Darren » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Yeah this annoying to me too already, but I've come to expect that from you.

"Because not everyone has the same taste in songs. The "style" has nothing to do with it."

Why does style have nothing to do with it? You talk of taste, would taste not have anything to do with a style of music?

you don't think if the album was played (differently) in a different style for example extreamly heavy, that style would have nothing to do with how the album would sound? I disagree.

As far as what AM I saying?

yes, this is annoying because I'm going to have to quote myself for you again.

"So I'm not sure why some people dislike it so much and love the other two."

that's it...I found that the styles of music were very similar.

I'm not saying that someone HAS to like anything. I diden't realise I had to make a big statement with my posts, I just thought I would be able to participate in a friendly conversation. Apparently I am wrong.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 pm

>Yeah this annoying to me too already, but I've come to expect that from you.

Who cares?

>Why does style have nothing to do with it?

Let me throw the question back at you, since that may help you understand. Why *should* someone like roast potatoes and and roast chicken? After all, they've been roasted and the style is the same.

>You talk of taste, would taste not have anything to do with a style of music?

Because you can like Elvis Presley's voice but not like P. J. Proby's voice, even though the style is similar.

>you don't think if the album was played (differently) in a different style for example extreamly heavy, that style would have nothing to do with how the album would sound?

You're getting confused. We're not discussing that. We're discussing your assertion that because one album is in the same style as the other, then if you like one, you have to like the other as well.

>that's it...I found that the styles of music were very similar.

But that doesn't mean, someone who likes one has to like the other.

>I'm not saying that someone HAS to like anything.

But you did say "I'm not sure why some people dislike it so much and love the other two."

> I diden't realise I had to make a big statement with my posts,

Who said anything about that? You sound a little paranoid. I just pointed out a certain lack of logic.

> I just thought I would be able to participate in a friendly conversation. Apparently I am wrong.

Who said anything about not being "friendly"? There certainly are some delicate little flowers on this board, who simply cannot *bear* to have their precious comments probed.

Darren
Killer
Killer
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by Darren » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Yeah I did say that I was not sure why some people hate it so much and like the other 2....does that mean SOMEONE HAS to like it?

Delicate flower? I have to wonder if you would be so condesending towards people face to face? I think you find it much easier to do online, you spend a lot of time probing, I think you get off on it. In person you might start out rude, but your condesending attitude might change to apologetic, in some cases very quickly.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4309
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:16 am

Best thing to do Darren is not respond to the tedious cut and paste baiting.

Darren
Killer
Killer
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by Darren » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:29 am

pitkin88 you are right.

But if I did have to respond to the teduious cut and paste baiting I would have to just say that while the conversation was on music which I had indicated with things like "4/4 beat/Classic Guitars as soon as the subject went to "taste" we bagan getting analogys about "roast potatoes" or "roast chickens" but somehow I have a lack of logic?

I'll say your famous line right back at you, seing as how you still did not anwer my question about style having nothing to do with it...you just started talking about taste and potatoes and chickens..."you are quite confused".

Darren
Killer
Killer
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by Darren » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:35 am

I know when I jam with my buddies and we are recording we totally get our roasted potatoes dead on with a roasted chickens. becuase we absolutely have to have them the same. Far more metal that way.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:45 am
Location: Finland

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 am

I love Dragontown. I think it is much more diverse, creative, moody and surprising than Brutal planet, which was/is the excellent album too. Brutal planet may be more energetic, but Dragontown is a lot less formulaic. I also liked Dirty diamonds a lot more than The eyes of Alice Cooper. Again TEOAC is much more energetic and maybe better played but I found Dirty Diamonds to be more cleverly written and more diverse.

I also didn't like TEOAC's pop punk/rock tendencies. I'm so angry sounded comical to me("Is there anyone at all anyone you didn't call? Is there anyone you didn't deny? Is there anyone you didn't kiss?..." And something like that). Ballads were weak on that album. And I still can't stand Novocaine. The chorus is absolutely awful. On plus side the album has very entertaining and cool Detroit city, pretty good Bye bye baby and great What do you want from me?.

I don't try to pick a fight. I'm just expressing my opinion. I feel While heaven wept and me probably disagree with countless things and he is also free to post his point of view.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:01 am

>Yeah I did say that I was not sure why some people hate it so much and like the other 2....

So why did you say "oh please do explain." then?

>does that mean SOMEONE HAS to like it?

That was the implication in your statement.

>Delicate flower? I have to wonder if you would be so condesending towards people face to face?

For one thing, I don't think it's "condescending" and to answer your question, I speak to people "face to face" in exactly the same way as I do on this board. To say things here that one would not say in person would be extremely cowardly. In fact, in deference to the rules of this board, I am *far* more polite here than I am in person, so there goes that theory.

> I think you find it much easier to do online,

That's asuumption you're not in a position to make.

>you spend a lot of time probing,

Why shouldn't I do that? Are you afraid that your words won't bear scrutiny? Is that that you just post without thinking, hoping that no - one will lool at your posts too closely? Is that you just want to see your words on a screen and that you don't care about the consequences? If so, that;s a waste of time I think. Here's some free advice - if you're ever being represented by a lawyer in a court, you had better hope that he or she is "probing" on your behalf.

>I think you get off on it. In person you might start out rude, but your condesending attitude might change to apologetic, in some cases very quickly.

Those are four false assumptions. I notice that you have not addressed any of the points I raised in my replies though. That's interesting. Also, do me a favour and don't play the martyr like so many here do whenever their posts are questioned. Thanks.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:05 am

>Best thing to do Darren is not respond to the tedious cut and paste baiting.

It's very revealing that "cut and paste" is considered a threat or "baiting". It seems to imply a lack of confidence in the post that is being examined. It's cowardly to think that someone should have the audactity to question the precious words some people post on this board. How shocking! Let's have no debates then! How about we all post anything about anything and no - one is allowed to question or discuss those posts. What fun that would be. Do make sure you propose that to the moderators and owner of this board.

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 am

The son of Don Quijote wrote:
I don't try to pick a fight. I'm just expressing my opinion. I feel While heaven wept and me probably disagree with countless things and he is also free to post his point of view.
No-ones trying to pick a fight, certainly not me anyway. I respect everyones opinion and actually probably agree with you on many more things than you think.

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:16 am

pitkin88 wrote:Best thing to do Darren is not respond to the tedious cut and paste baiting.
I really don't think Andy is 'baiting' anyone, all he did was point out the lack of logic in Darren's post. Don't understand why anyone has to get all emotional about it, just accept it and move on.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:17 am

>as soon as the subject went to "taste" we bagan getting analogys about "roast potatoes" or "roast chickens" but somehow I have a lack of logic?

Do you genuinely not understand the analogy? Let me know if you need me to explain it again.

>I'll say your famous line right back at you, seing as how you still did not anwer my question about style having nothing to do with it...

I did answer it. That's what the analogy was about. Do I have to like Kraftwerk just because I like David Bowie's "Low" album? Do I have to like Mario Lanza's voice just because I like Roy Orbison's voice? There are an almost endless number of similar examples? Do I have to like "Along Came A Spider" just because I like "The Last Temptation" (which is the album that "Along Came A Spider was trying to 'mimic', I think). Of course I don't, but you're implication us that because all of the above are of a similar "style" (and this is now the third or fourth time I'm making this point". you're "not sure" how one can like one and not like the other, as well.

>you just started talking about taste and potatoes and chickens..."you are quite confused".

You asked me to explain about taste and that's what I did. Shall I break it down even further? The chicken and the potatoes are the songs that I referred to, the roasting and oil are the "style" (the "of 4/4 beat, with classic rock guitar playing" you referred to). Someone might like roast chicken (songs done with a "4/4 beat, with classic rock guitar playing") but not roast potatoes (some different songs done with a "4/4 beat, with classic rock guitar playing"). It's an easy concept to grasp. Otherwise, everyone would like every single album ever made, as long as they all had the elements you described.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:18 am

>becuase we absolutely have to have them the same. Far more metal that way.

You just proved my point. Not *everyone* has the same taste as you and your "buddies".

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:20 am

>Don't understand why anyone has to get all emotional about it,

Exactly. How dare *anyone* challenge *any* precious statements made on this board!

User avatar
Si
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3909
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: ACAS- your view now?

Post by Si » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:48 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:> Do I have to like "Along Came A Spider" just because I like "The Last Temptation" (which is the album that "Along Came A Spider was trying to 'mimic', I think).
I remember that comment (from the producer I think). If it's true and they were going for that, the album is an even bigger failure then most think haha

Locked