Alice too modest ?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: SickThings, Devon, Si, Gorehound, Shoesalesman

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Alice too modest ?

Post by Mr. Skull » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:31 am

The original band was cutting edge," he explains. "It was the original band that had all the iconic records from 'Love it to Death' on to 'Billion Dollar Babies' and 'Muscle of Love.' What I did after that was an aftermath.
I'm not going to argue with Alice here of course, but he did keep these iconic records alive for more then 30 years and he added some superb albums to.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:38 am

>I'm not going to argue with Alice here of course, but he did keep these iconic records alive for more then 30 years and he added some superb albums to.

Exactly.

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Mr. Skull wrote:
The original band was cutting edge," he explains. "It was the original band that had all the iconic records from 'Love it to Death' on to 'Billion Dollar Babies' and 'Muscle of Love.' What I did after that was an aftermath.
I'm not going to argue with Alice here of course, but he did keep these iconic records alive for more then 30 years and he added some superb albums to.
well said

User avatar
Gunner
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by Gunner » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:25 pm

Welcome To My Nightmare was ground breaking as an album and a show for starters. 'Poison' has to be up there as one of the greatest rock/pop tracks of all time too!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:35 pm

His honesty is to be commended.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:45 pm

>His honesty is to be commended.

Just so that there is no confusion, the statement is no different to previous statements he has made. He also is of the opinion that some of his solo work is as good as the original band stuff.

User avatar
scotty
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1325
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:50 am
Location: US,ohio
Contact:

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by scotty » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:57 am

true! if this 4-5 city tour in the spring happens,It would be kind of cool to hear them do a few alice solo tracks,IMO! definately some "nightmare" stuff,"poison",etc.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 pm

>It would be kind of cool to hear them do a few alice solo tracks,IMO! definately some "nightmare" stuff,"poison",etc.

I disagree.

User avatar
RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2729
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:05 pm

scotty wrote:true! if this 4-5 city tour in the spring happens,It would be kind of cool to hear them do a few alice solo tracks,IMO! definately some "nightmare" stuff,"poison",etc.
Please no.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 pm
Location: florida, u.s.a.

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Think they should do 4 nights in a small Tampa club....1st night, perform the whole of PFY and Easy Action, 2nd night perform LITD and Killer, 3rd night, perform SO and B$B's and 4th night perform Muscle Of Love and 2 tracks from each member's solo stuff.............Not being greedy am i ? tee hee.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 926
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:09 pm

I think it's a wonderful comment - a bit modest but not untrue.

His solo career maybe spotty but I love all the albums (to varying degrees) thru to Da Da. The comeback portion of his career (Constrictor onwards) has it's moments but lacks originality and can be down right dull at times. It would be great if this induction sparks some enthusiasm for a reunion (both a tour and new music).

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Well we have 3 new songs and a mini tour in the works!! :clap:

User avatar
Gunner
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by Gunner » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:39 pm

I think what we need to remember is that Alice the character, Alice the unique and sublime show man, Alice the lyricist and Alice the unique and innovative vocalist are of the work of one Vincent Damon Furnier. This award should got to 'Alice Cooper' of the 'Alice Cooper' section in any records store, i.e from 1967 to present, that includes Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith and Michael Bruce as a part of the 'whole artist' and not (with their singer) the 'whole artist'.

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Gunner wrote:I think what we need to remember is that Alice the character, Alice the unique and sublime show man, Alice the lyricist and Alice the unique and innovative vocalist are of the work of one Vincent Damon Furnier. This award should got to 'Alice Cooper' of the 'Alice Cooper' section in any records store, i.e from 1967 to present, that includes Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith and Michael Bruce as a part of the 'whole artist' and not (with their singer) the 'whole artist'.
errrr..... what?

User avatar
RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2729
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Gunner wrote:I think what we need to remember is that Alice the character, Alice the unique and sublime show man, Alice the lyricist and Alice the unique and innovative vocalist are of the work of one Vincent Damon Furnier. This award should got to 'Alice Cooper' of the 'Alice Cooper' section in any records store, i.e from 1967 to present, that includes Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith and Michael Bruce as a part of the 'whole artist' and not (with their singer) the 'whole artist'.
Using this logic we'd be inducting everybody that ever played on an Alice Cooper album.

How would you differentiate between Buxton, Dunaway, Smith and Bruce vs. guys like Kane Roberts and Reb Beach under your scenario? It simply makes no sense.

You may wish to rewrite history, but there was a definite difference between Alice Cooper up through 1974 and Alice Cooper from 1975 onward. Regardless of how much Dick Wagner contributed, I'm willing to bet he wasn't getting the same deal that the original guys had. It WAS a band.... and then it wasn't.

And as much as I love Alice's solo stuff... and I do love it... there's no denying the original band's Warner Bros. albums pretty much comprise the lion's share of the truly ground breaking and iconic stuff.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Flash
Trash
Trash
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by Flash » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Gunner wrote:I think what we need to remember is that Alice the character, Alice the unique and sublime show man, Alice the lyricist and Alice the unique and innovative vocalist are of the work of one Vincent Damon Furnier. This award should got to 'Alice Cooper' of the 'Alice Cooper' section in any records store, i.e from 1967 to present, that includes Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith and Michael Bruce as a part of the 'whole artist' and not (with their singer) the 'whole artist'.
Using this logic we'd be inducting everybody that ever played on an Alice Cooper album.

How would you differentiate between Buxton, Dunaway, Smith and Bruce vs. guys like Kane Roberts and Reb Beach under your scenario? It simply makes no sense.

You may wish to rewrite history, but there was a definite difference between Alice Cooper up through 1974 and Alice Cooper from 1975 onward. Regardless of how much Dick Wagner contributed, I'm willing to bet he wasn't getting the same deal that the original guys had. It WAS a band.... and then it wasn't.

And as much as I love Alice's solo stuff... and I do love it... there's no denying the original band's Warner Bros. albums pretty much comprise the lion's share of the truly ground breaking and iconic stuff.
But you could argue that in 1975 Alice Cooper the artist just lost all the other members except the vocalist. So from 1975 onwards the band transformed to a solo artist, and Wagner, Hunter etc. were no official members of the Alice Cooper the artist.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:41 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Gunner wrote:I think what we need to remember is that Alice the character, Alice the unique and sublime show man, Alice the lyricist and Alice the unique and innovative vocalist are of the work of one Vincent Damon Furnier. This award should got to 'Alice Cooper' of the 'Alice Cooper' section in any records store, i.e from 1967 to present, that includes Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith and Michael Bruce as a part of the 'whole artist' and not (with their singer) the 'whole artist'.
errrr..... what?

Plus 1

It would certainly be a great idea all these different Alice Cooper sections in the record store. Perhaps a record store like HMV could induct sublime Alice.

User avatar
RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2729
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Flash wrote: But you could argue that in 1975 Alice Cooper the artist just lost all the other members except the vocalist. So from 1975 onwards the band transformed to a solo artist, and Wagner, Hunter etc. were no official members of the Alice Cooper the artist.
I think if Alice the solo artist had a bigger impact than Alice Cooper the band, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. It's quite relevant that Alice Cooper achieved super stardom as a band. I think we all understand that if the original band broke up after "Easy Action" and Alice's solo career began with "Love It To Death" then he'd be being inducted as a solo artist.

On the bright side, as I pointed out previously, by denoting that they're inducting "Alice Cooper band" instead of just "Alice Cooper", the RARHOF has left the door open to induct Alice Cooper the solo artist at some point in the future.

I'm fairly surprised there are those that seem to have a problem with the original band being inducted instead of Alice alone. From what I've read, Alice clearly doesn't have a problem with it, so why should anyone else?
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:33 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Flash wrote: But you could argue that in 1975 Alice Cooper the artist just lost all the other members except the vocalist. So from 1975 onwards the band transformed to a solo artist, and Wagner, Hunter etc. were no official members of the Alice Cooper the artist.
I think if Alice the solo artist had a bigger impact than Alice Cooper the band, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. It's quite relevant that Alice Cooper achieved super stardom as a band. I think we all understand that if the original band broke up after "Easy Action" and Alice's solo career began with "Love It To Death" then he'd be being inducted as a solo artist.

On the bright side, as I pointed out previously, by denoting that they're inducting "Alice Cooper band" instead of just "Alice Cooper", the RARHOF has left the door open to induct Alice Cooper the solo artist at some point in the future.

I'm fairly surprised there are those that seem to have a problem with the original band being inducted instead of Alice alone. From what I've read, Alice clearly doesn't have a problem with it, so why should anyone else?

Very well put. We all know Alice has made some great music since going solo though he will be generally remembered for the work with the band.

I seriously doubt he will be inducted for his solo work in his lifetime if at all. Not that he is not worthy but what would be the point?

Flash
Trash
Trash
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Alice too modest ?

Post by Flash » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:41 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Flash wrote: But you could argue that in 1975 Alice Cooper the artist just lost all the other members except the vocalist. So from 1975 onwards the band transformed to a solo artist, and Wagner, Hunter etc. were no official members of the Alice Cooper the artist.
I think if Alice the solo artist had a bigger impact than Alice Cooper the band, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. It's quite relevant that Alice Cooper achieved super stardom as a band. I think we all understand that if the original band broke up after "Easy Action" and Alice's solo career began with "Love It To Death" then he'd be being inducted as a solo artist.

On the bright side, as I pointed out previously, by denoting that they're inducting "Alice Cooper band" instead of just "Alice Cooper", the RARHOF has left the door open to induct Alice Cooper the solo artist at some point in the future.

I'm fairly surprised there are those that seem to have a problem with the original band being inducted instead of Alice alone. From what I've read, Alice clearly doesn't have a problem with it, so why should anyone else?
No no, of course I want the original band to be inducted. But I just wonder why they are using the name "Alice Cooper Band". Has that name been used as a official name at all?

Post Reply