Sounds like Alice Cooper

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Sounds like Alice Cooper

Post by Dannorama » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Can you name an album that, for some reason, reminds you of Alice? Yesterday, I found myself listening to Kula Shaker's "K" after a long rest, and it occurred to me that -

- "Smart Dogs" is a lot like School's Out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclm0cIB ... re=related

- "Magic Theater" could be from Welcome to my Nightmare.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVKvFJiaO4

- "303" is the album's Under my Wheels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5g8qlID ... re=related

This is the thing that I like most... Fundamentally, KS is not at all like AC. Where Alice is all sweat and black leather, KS is more hippy-trippy and swirly pastels. However, I think they are showing their influences, and it's not hard to believe that AC is one of them.

This was my favorite disc for years, and I eventually played it to death. It's nice to find something fresh to like about it! Can you name some music that does this for you?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Sounds like Alice Cooper

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Wednesday 13's discography, all 5 bands including his country stuff lol
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm

>However, I think they are showing their influences, and it's not hard to believe that AC is one of them.

They worked with Bob Ezrin also.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Sorry....I am no music expert, but having grown up in the 60's, KS influences might be more along the line of Deep Purple, Strawberry Alarmclock, and Ravi Shankar and George Harrison. I don't recall any of the original ACG playing the sitar nor Neal playing an Indian tabla.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 am

HORRORHOLIC wrote:Wednesday 13's discography, all 5 bands including his country stuff lol
Good tip! Thanks Horrorholic.
A_MichaelUK wrote:>They worked with Bob Ezrin also.
Right you are, Andy! "Peasants, Pigs, and Astronauts" was a strong follow-up to "K."
GNDM wrote:Sorry....I am no music expert, but having grown up in the 60's, KS influences might be more along the line of Deep Purple, Strawberry Alarmclock, and Ravi Shankar and George Harrison. I don't recall any of the original ACG playing the sitar nor Neal playing an Indian tabla.
You have a point there, GNDM. BUT! Did you listen to the samples I submitted? THEY ROCK. (Except for Magic Theater, but that was to make a point.)

I'd love to discuss Kula Shaker more. Especially how much I wish they'd employ the production talents of Jeff Lynne... However, the point of this thread was to ask if there may be some music out there that reminds you of Alice Cooper?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:03 am

>Right you are, Andy! "Peasants, Pigs, and Astronauts" was a strong follow-up to "K."

In case you're interested in trivia, when Ezrin was in Britain working with them, he went to see Alice's show in London as well.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 am

Hey Danno, really like the sound of this group, maybe being away fron the ol' country for the last 18 years is why i've never come across them before. What do you suggest is their best album to buy ? Like all the stuff you posted from you tube.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi Jacknife...

For me, "K" is the best of the bunch. For some reason, it's not on iTunes, so seek out the used bins, or even online stores. It's worth the effort!

"Peasants, Pigs, and Astronauts" is good as well, if you want to start there!

(Sorry for the drift, mods. Hope this doesn't get moved to off-topic!)

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:45 pm

This band died a death over the last few years, apparently they're back together but the singer has been generally derided in the UK music press.

Saw them live at Glastonbury festival in 1999 (i think) and they were really good. Loved their version of 'hush'.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:08 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:This band died a death over the last few years, apparently they're back together but the singer has been generally derided in the UK music press.
he must be doing something right then to get derided by the sanctimonious UK music press!

Crispian Mills is a creative guitarist/singer/songwriter and the driving force of that band whose K album was superb, remember learning Tattva, Hey Dude and 303 and playing them in a band great songs. That album was the biggest selling UK debut since Oasis.
Some of that talent from his mum and grandfather the great Hayley and Sir John Mills must have rubbed off.

Agree with GNDM though, they sound nothing like Alice Cooper
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 am

steven_crayn wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:This band died a death over the last few years, apparently they're back together but the singer has been generally derided in the UK music press.
he must be doing something right then to get derided by the sanctimonious UK music press!

Crispian Mills is a creative guitarist/singer/songwriter and the driving force of that band whose K album was superb, remember learning Tattva, Hey Dude and 303 and playing them in a band great songs. That album was the biggest selling UK debut since Oasis.
Some of that talent from his mum and grandfather the great Hayley and Sir John Mills must have rubbed off.

Agree with GNDM though, they sound nothing like Alice Cooper
I remember them getting loads of bad publicity in the early days because they used to dress the stage with swastikas. The UK press were obviously too thick to realise the actual difference between the Nazi emblem and it's original significance.

But yeah, i still enjoy listening to KS, I see Crispian Mills quite alot cos i live in the same city as him (Bath). For anyone interested, he drinks alot in The Bell and The Porter Cellar!

However, i dont think KS sound anything like Alice Cooper!

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:34 am

I have to agree with Danno, I think it sounds similar. "Smart Dogs" does have a sound like "School's Out", to me. In "Magic Theater" I hear something that reminds me of "Years ago", specifically. And they both seem to be filtered through a "Today Mueller" kind of sound.
Obviously, I could not speculate if there is an influence from listening to Alice, working with Ezrin, or any other form of musical osmosis. But I believe I can hear the similarity, nonetheless.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:31 am

'i live in the same city as him (Bath). For anyone interested, he drinks alot in The Bell and The Porter Cellar!'

What a small world it is, I live a few miles from Bath in a village called Box, where Peter Gabriels recording studio is and of course he has been 'produced' by Ezrin as well!!

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:57 pm

KeithGale wrote:'i live in the same city as him (Bath). For anyone interested, he drinks alot in The Bell and The Porter Cellar!'

What a small world it is, I live a few miles from Bath in a village called Box, where Peter Gabriels recording studio is and of course he has been 'produced' by Ezrin as well!!
Ah yes, the Real Word studios are really nice actually, rehearsed in there a few times.

Box is a lovely little village.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:29 pm

I thought that this sounded kinda "Go to Hell" - ish.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8r2SG9keBg

Kinda-ish, that is.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Turbonegro's last four albums does occasionally have a bit of an Alice wibe to them. It also sorta works vice-versa since I thought ACAS sounded similar to Turbonegro's stuff when I first heard it.

Theres also the song "Sex Kabin" by Euroboys (not on youtube but availible on spotify) which sounds similar to "Levity Ball".
And this song reminds me of "Lost in America" purely based on the lyrics.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

FREEZIN
Trash
Trash

Post by FREEZIN » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:23 pm

If you listen to some of the songs by the Murderdolls, the vocals sound very similar to Alice's. Even some of the lyrics could be performed nicely by Alice. It's a more hardcore punk sound, however.
Also, there is a song by Supagroup on their album "Rules", that has an almost identical guitar as one of the songs on "Eyes" (sorry, I forget which songs though)
theSICKESTthing

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Some of the material by Lordi has a kinda Alice 'Trash - era' feel to it.