What Questions would you Ask Alice Cooper?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Re: What Questions would you Ask Alice Cooper?

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 pm

To clear up my earlier post....

I was speaking about stage antics and onstage presence. Bowie and The Tubes both had elaborate outfits to "shock" their audience, mixed with androgeny, sex, makeup, etc. So, their IS some similarity in the presentations of Bowie and The Tubes to Alice's performances.

I would speculate at the time in the 70's....Alice could have read/heard about their presentations and thought "whoa, that's crazy....but I could do better"

And thus, my question: Who did Alice feel more competitively towards....David Bowie or The Tubes?
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Onward,

Regarding Jesse Jane: will we ever see Alice in a wedding dress onstage?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:31 pm

GailsFriend wrote:To clear up my earlier post....

I was speaking about stage antics and onstage presence. Bowie and The Tubes both had elaborate outfits to "shock" their audience, mixed with androgeny, sex, makeup, etc. So, their IS some similarity in the presentations of Bowie and The Tubes to Alice's performances.
Sue there are similarities of course. Any act using theatrics has similarities to Alice, but The Tubes were not really in competition with Alice.
GailsFriend wrote: I would speculate at the time in the 70's....Alice could have read/heard about their presentations and thought "whoa, that's crazy....but I could do better"

And thus, my question: Who did Alice feel more competitively towards....David Bowie or The Tubes?
Bowie. If uyou want to call it competive.

You do know That the Tubes came from the same AZ school as the ACG? There are a lot of ACG/Tubes conections. They even supported Alice in 1977.
See The Tubes page on this site.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:48 pm

GF....I have often thougth about the wedding gown / Jessie Jane thing.....
...And personally, I don't care.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Bowie and Michael Bruce

Post by Mr. Skull » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:56 pm

according to Michael Bruce :
I was talking to a friend of mine who had talked to the bass player of David Bowie’s band and said when they saw Alice and it changed their whole style.
see complete interview here http://www.getreadytorock.com/rock_star ... _bruce.htm

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Question to Alice: Who is the best songwriter you have worked with?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Bowie and Michael Bruce

Post by Si » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Mr. Skull wrote:according to Michael Bruce :
I was talking to a friend of mine who had talked to the bass player of David Bowie’s band and said when they saw Alice and it changed their whole style.
see complete interview here http://www.getreadytorock.com/rock_star ... _bruce.htm
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/people/p-bowie.php

From an interview with former Bowie/Spiders bassplayer Trevor Boulder explaining what inspired them (Spiders) to "glam it up"

Together this band made Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and - without Woody - Pin-Ups. All of which hardly needs comment: the mix of Aladdin Sane may be crap but apart from that, this is the most perfect sequence of albums ever made. More difficult than the music, however, was persuading a bunch of Northern blues-rockers that they ought to glam up.
After initial reluctance, the band were taken out by Bowie to a gig:
'We went to see Alice Cooper and they were wearing make-up on stage and they were really heavy,' remembers Trevor. 'The music they were playing was great, I thought at the time, and it didn't look too bad, so we agreed to do it. It was a big jump from being a blues band in t-shirts and jeans with long hair and beards to wearing make-up and flashy clothes.'

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Si wrote:Better to look forward not back.
I think the way the songs were made/recorded, regardless of what year it was, were the way they were meant to be. Clearing up production faults (or whatever the reason would be to re-record material) would almost make it too polished or regal to be Alice. I throw on something from Lace And Whiskey or even School's Out itself and I can feel the filth. That's part of the delivery. Alice's new music seems more groomed because hey, they have the technology now, but leave the older stuff be.

Maybe this is more of a reflection on how I feel about the remastering of some of the older albums.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:34 am

Alice, Green Day are making a Broadway version of their album, American Idiot. Which of your albums do you feel would translate best to the Broadway stage?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:08 am

'Welcome To My Nightmare' obviously as this has been talked by Alice about for years.

Plus there was the 'Alice At The Palace' idea back in the early 70s which probably pre-dates any of these other bands thinking of doing it.

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Si wrote: Plus there was the 'Alice At The Palace' idea back in the early 70s which probably pre-dates any of these other bands thinking of doing it.
Great Scott! I remember this being talked about by Alice in various interviews at that time. I had forgotten all about it, but - being at school back then - I remember making a huge poster project of it with the beautifully aliterative title 'Alice at the Palace' legend emblazoned across it.

I believe it was just an idea built around doing a 'purpose made' repeat 'show' at The Palace Theatre, on Broadway in New York. I think it is quite a small venue 1500 or 1600 seats, hence (possibly) the need for repetition, although I don't think the idea got much further than Alice talking to music journalists about it, which kind of underpinned his theatrical stance, which (obviously) was 'ground-breaking' for a Rock performer at that time.
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:29 pm

>although I don't think the idea got much further than Alice talking to music journalists about it, which kind of underpinned his theatrical stance,

It went a little further than that, with (as was mentioned on another thread) some art - work even being created for it.

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:53 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:
It went a little further than that, with (as was mentioned on another thread) some art - work even being created for it.
Ok, Andy, thanks. That may well be what inspired me to do a Poster at the time!!
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Alice, I heard recently about Paul Stanley's surgeries to his shoulders, hips and knees because of 35 years of performing. Considering the physicality of your shows, how are your body parts holding up?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Alice......have you ever used 'Just For Men'?

:)

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Alice, you have mentioned how it is much harder to shock an audience when the news is much more violent to see....have you seen any new artists who are trying to shock their audiences? Or do you feel that "shock rock" is a dying breed?

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Alice, I really love "Millie and Billie".

1) Would/Could you ever do another duet?

2) If so, who would you like to do a duet with?

3) Considering the theatrical presentations of Lady GaGa, could you ever see yourself do a new version of Millie and Billie with her, maybe onstage or as a video?

(Because that would be amazing...you KNOW it!)

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Considering that Rob Zombie is talking of retiring from music after his next release...have you considered doing a Alice Cooper/Rob Zombie co-headlining tour with him?

(Personally, I think Rob Zombie should be Alice Cooper's stage production manager...because between the two twisted visions of Alice/Zombie, the stage production would be AMAZING!)

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Alice, the fans have seen a various reissue and/or remaster treatments of your catalogue from various companies...are you interested in having complete ownership of your entire catalogue to give it one consistant remaster treatment?

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:09 pm

GailsFriend has cornered the ask Alice market.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.