New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by glamprincess » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:56 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:GP, I agree with you about the Stones, except that their next CD will be even better than the 72 version of EOM......

Keef is very arthritic, Moonie and Ox are gone, so there will be no more great CDs from them, although Pete is working on a new concept CD based on a 60 year old rock star so it may have some relevance to people other than those in teenage wasteland (not that there is anything wrong with that, I seem to have spent much of my life there, LOL). Having seen Coop and the Stones together, and Coop and The Two on successive nights in Boston last fall, I can tell you that both the Stones and Who still put on great shows, but have nothing on Coop's current band.
Jumping Jack, we seem to like the same bands as I also love the Stones and the Who. It is interesting that you thought that Alice had the best live show of the three when you consider who he is being compared to.

Was it you or another Stones fan who posted something about Stones fans on a Stones message board voting Alice Cooper one of the best opening acts for the Stones? I think that says a lot that Alice would get that kind of appreciation from Stones fans.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:31 pm

I do plenty of Coop promotion on the Stones and Who boards, and in fact have dragged groups of "Wholigans" and "Shidoobees" to Coop's shows in Boston, Atlantic City and Louisville in recent years. Fans of one are usually fans of the others. That's not necessarily the case with Macca or U2 though, but that's another story, LOL.

Coop has always expressed the highest regard for the Stones which is well recognized and appreciated by their fans. When I met Coop in Birmingham I told him we had backstage passes at the joint show at Churchill Downs and thanked him for the goodies he tossed over the sacred hedges to us in the front row. I told Coop and Toby we thought he put on a better performance in KY than the Stones, and he was very quick to point out that no one upstages the Stones. He is always the gracious gentlemen. He did smile and said by the time the Stones got to Phoenix and realized what proceeded them and whose house it was they did step it up a notch and brought their A game.

While he probably would never admit it, Mick's 73-75 glam days were likely heavily influenced by Coop, and the great 75 lotus stage was clearly an attempt to keep up with the B$B staging, particularly since the B$B tour broke the 72 Exile tour gross. Here's hoping the Stones do go out again next year and Mick tours another 10 years, because that means Coop will go another 15, LOL!

IMHO, the only group at Coop's energy level or beyond this year is AC/DC. My "Rocktober" has up close seats to both within 2 weeks and my hearing may never be the same again. Both are better than the 70s and I am loving every minute!
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:25 pm

You know, for someone as nearly strung out as Keith Richards he has an incredibly soulful voice.
Me = Winning

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:I do plenty of Coop promotion on the Stones and Who boards, and in fact have dragged groups of "Wholigans" and "Shidoobees" to Coop's shows in Boston, Atlantic City and Louisville in recent years. Fans of one are usually fans of the others. That's not necessarily the case with Macca or U2 though, but that's another story, LOL.

Coop has always expressed the highest regard for the Stones which is well recognized and appreciated by their fans. When I met Coop in Birmingham I told him we had backstage passes at the joint show at Churchill Downs and thanked him for the goodies he tossed over the sacred hedges to us in the front row. I told Coop and Toby we thought he put on a better performance in KY than the Stones, and he was very quick to point out that no one upstages the Stones. He is always the gracious gentlemen. He did smile and said by the time the Stones got to Phoenix and realized what proceeded them and whose house it was they did step it up a notch and brought their A game.

While he probably would never admit it, Mick's 73-75 glam days were likely heavily influenced by Coop, and the great 75 lotus stage was clearly an attempt to keep up with the B$B staging, particularly since the B$B tour broke the 72 Exile tour gross. Here's hoping the Stones do go out again next year and Mick tours another 10 years, because that means Coop will go another 15, LOL!

IMHO, the only group at Coop's energy level or beyond this year is AC/DC. My "Rocktober" has up close seats to both within 2 weeks and my hearing may never be the same again. Both are better than the 70s and I am loving every minute!
It's good to hear that Who and Stones fans really like Alice, even if it appears that Macca and U2 fans may be less receptive. Maybe that's because the Who and the Stones are heavier bands and therefore their fans are more likely to be into Alice Cooper. In addition, it may be because the Stones and the Who were huge in the 70s so many Stones and Who fans overlap with Alice Cooper fans. Whereas the Beatles broke up in 1970, so Paul McCartney fans don't overlap as much. And U2 became huge in the 80s so their fans would not overlap as much with Alice Cooper fans either.

And you are correct when you say that Mick's 1973-75 glam era was probably influenced by Alice Cooper. When Alice Cooper became huge, it was very noticeable that Mick suddenly started wearing tons of makeup. Also, in 1974, the Stones went on television on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and performed "It's Only Rock n' Roll" and it was very noticeable that they had added theatrics to their performance with a big soapy bubble bath. Alice's 1973 monster BDB tour was definitely on everyone's mind. Even Elton John suddenly started wearing outlandish costumes in 1973.

Speaking of "It's Only Rock n' Roll", it's worth pointing out that when the Stones performed that on their 1989 tour, they had a huge montage of rock greats on a big screen behind them. They included Alice Cooper in that montage which was really really cool.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:31 pm

To add to this, I can say that while it seems a fair number of Coop fans like Cheap Trick, the Cheap Trick fans like Alice a lot, too. There's a thread that keeps up pretty well for Alice in the "other artists" section of the CT board, and I've met a LOT of people at CT shows that really like going to see Alice and buy his albums. There's been quite a bit of griping about who CT has paired with for tours recently, but I've seen many positive comments about them touring the Alice, and whenever the inevitable "Why is CT being ignored by the RNRHOF?" thread comes up to parallel that same on the Coop boards, Alice's name always comes up as one of the other artists they think deserves in.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:34 am

Speaking of Don K, here 2 two promos he did from 1973.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6_NGtIr14c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWhNbAZZ8-0

Here’s the 75 lotus stage. You be the judge of the influences for the stage and props.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jP5wup38ks

There are other things Coop and the Stones have in common.

Here is an interesting thread on the Stone’s tongue design including some posts by Ernie Cefalu. Coop fans who know their stuff should recognize that name.

http://shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com ... 864?page=1

Some of his work:

http://originalalbumcoverart.net/collection.php
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:12 pm

amazing (or maybe not) that we are all looking for a riffs album along the lines of killer and billion dollar babies, or even 'the eyes'. Stripped down and deviod of the overdub of lead guitars, Keep It Simple Stupid! I thought that ACAS would have been greatly enhanced if they had kept the original idea of 30's radio shows, showing the police trying to capture Spider, something atmospheric, so to mix that and the basic rock and roll of the early albums, but i think only bob ezrin could accomplish this, also Alice has had such production control over recent albums it would need a really strong personality to take the reigns.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Recipe for success

1)Vincent

add equal parts

Dunaway
Bruce
Smith
Wagner...let cook!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:19 pm

>1)Vincent

Who is that?

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:12 am

I read in one of the articles from the front page where Alice said there would be a new villian on the next album.
http://www.billboard.com/news/alice-coo ... 1311.story
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Parish wrote:Recipe for success

1)Vincent

add equal parts

Dunaway
Bruce
Smith
Wagner...let cook!
That recipe has never been cooked.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

TEENAGE NITEMARE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by TEENAGE NITEMARE » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:58 am

well it sounds like hes working on another concept album with a new character.
id like another garage rock album like eye's of alice cooper mixed with the quirkyness of flush the fashion.
That aint no big disgrace, where's my makeup where's my face

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:24 am

Alice has said in interviews that Chuck Berry is the greatest lyricist.
Lyrics are part of the songwriting process so should not be an afterthought as someone suggested in this topic.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Recipe for success:

Alice (he legally changed his name in 1974)

add equal parts:

Dunaway
Bruce
Smith
Mick Mashbir

Dick Wagner co-wrote WTMN, ACGTH I believe and some other AC solo albums. Therefore, I say Mick Mashbir.

Ted

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Ted Sallis wrote: Dick Wagner co-wrote WTMN, ACGTH I believe and some other AC solo albums. Therefore, I say Mick Mashbir.
Are you saying that WtMN is not such a good album? I think WTMN is a classic Alice Cooper album and I think Dick Wagner is a great songwriter. Don't forget that Dick also wrote some stuff which was used on the ACG albums, even if he was not always credited.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:39 pm

glamprincess wrote:Are you saying that WtMN is not such a good album? I think WTMN is a classic Alice Cooper album and I think Dick Wagner is a great songwriter. Don't forget that Dick also wrote some stuff which was used on the ACG albums, even if he was not always credited.
To be honest, I've never liked any AC album since he went solo. I've read that Mick Mashbir helped write some songs on the ACG albums (i.e. Hard Hearted Alice on MOL); I know that both Dick Wagner and Mick also played on some ACG albums but I don't recall reading or hearing that Dick co-wrote any ACG album songs.

Ted

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:41 pm

I believe Dick Wagner had a co-writing hand in I Love The Dead, but he sold his portion of the rights and therefore doesn't have credit on the song.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:45 pm

Correct. My understanding is, lyrics aside, he wrote most of it.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Involve three living original members plus one other...roxy or slash or wagner..bob ezrin as producer...a loose concept if any..I can dream but a nice dark driven bass sound by DD and some good toons from MB..and classic AC lyrics
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:50 pm

>I've read that Mick Mashbir helped write some songs on the ACG albums

I'm not sure that's accurate. He once sent me a very detailed description of his work with Alice Cooper and I don't think writing was ever mentioned.