The Eyes of Alice Cooper vs Dirty Diamonds

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Eyes of Alice Cooper vs Dirty Diamonds

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:Sunset Babies never should have been dropped just because Roxie left
That's the reason it was dropped? I assumed it was just dropped for all the regular reasons. And the fact that the show changed and they weren't doing the Paris Hilton thing at the end.

For what it's worth, I prefer TEOAC over DD. TEOAC is just a great album through and through... great songs... great production... great performances from Alice and the band. Alice's strongest album on the whole since TLT.

To me, while I like DD, a lot of the material feels a bit undercooked.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Interesting question TEOAC v DD. Got me thinking. As stated by others previously, TEOAC has stonking opening tracks, drops off but then picks up again at the end. For me, DD is a random collection of songs which just don't sound like an Alice 'album'. Fair to say, Woman Of Mass Distraction is a great song as is Sunset Babies. I don't get the bizzarre key change after the intro of Perfect, don't like Steal That Car or Run Down the Devil.

I've confused myself now. Neither TEOAC or DD are the finished article. Both have great highlights but are flawed. For those opening 4 tracks I'll have to go with TEOAC and now go and lie down with a pint of finest ale whilst my thoughts clear.

Back in a minute no doubt with a vote for DD!!!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:45 pm

I have to agree almost completely with what killer say's. To me TEOAC was the last truly great Alice album, TLT being the last 'classic'. DD has a great diverse feeling about it, which is what Alice said he was aiming for on the Album but is just a bit to hit and miss, and seems to meander, got me in the mood to get the eyes back out again, good shout.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:53 am

It is! And...I assume you're joking. ;) :laugh:
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

jch_n_va,usa
Trash
Trash

Post by jch_n_va,usa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:40 am

I think Eyes has better songs, but DD sounds better to me. I like the big production albums with the polished sound on them. I wouldn't put DD in that catagory, to me it sounds more full then EYES.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:46 am

I think "Zombie Dance" is a classic, personally.

In a perfect world, I would love to see a performance of Black JuJu, and right at the point Alice screams "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" glisten right into "Black JuJu." But that will be left at pure fantasy.

I like the production on DD better because "The Eyes" sounds very over compressed and way too "loud." Having said that, there is some good stuff on "The Eyes" too.
Me = Winning

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:13 am

I can't stand Dirty Diamonds, and hated it from the get go. I tried again not long ago with it, and still couldn't stand it.

But, I love the 'Eyes' and think its one of Alice's better albums. Great tracks all the way through.

For me, out of the whole of Alice's catalogue - DD is the worst thing he has ever done. :/
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:16 pm

My problem with Eyes is that it is too one-dimensional, albeit good. Whereas Dirty Diamonds is too unfocused.

Let's take a look back. What makes Killer a perfect album? It is the perfect mixture of pop, rock and dark themes.

In typical Alice fashion, it takes him two albums to make a complete statement. If you combine the two albums, nixing tracks from each, it could be a perfect album.

Imagine something like:

What Do You Want From Me
Novocaine
Dirty Diamonds
The Saga of Jesse Jane
Sunset Babies
Run Down the Devil
Six Hours
Love Should Never Feel Like This
This House is Haunted
Zombie Dance

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:48 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:In a perfect world, I would love to see a performance of Black JuJu, and right at the point Alice screams "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" glisten right into "Black JuJu." But that will be left at pure fantasy..
Let me get this straight... you want to see "Black JuJu" segue into "Black JuJu"?

:grin:

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Sorry, meant "glisten into 'Zombie Dance'"
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Headbangers Ball wrote:For me, out of the whole of Alice's catalogue - ACAS is the worst thing he has ever done. :/
Correct.
Me = Winning

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:47 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
Headbangers Ball wrote:For me, out of the whole of Alice's catalogue - ACAS is the worst thing he has ever done. :/
Correct.
If yer gunna quote me - then get it RIGHT! :nono:
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:54 pm

There was a time I thought that TEOAC was the worst album AC ever put out but then Dirty Diamonds was released and changed my mind.

So in a way I agree with the original poster, TEOAC>DD but it's a bit like preferring moldy cheese to moldy bread.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Sorry, I love them both. They are very different and not really easy to compare. Each album is what it is. One of the great appeals of Alice albums (and I have just listened to them all back to back) is diversity. There is just so much ground covered over the spread of nearly 40 years.
...And personally, I don't care.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Nothing wrong with Dirty Diamonds, in my top 3 Alice albums.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Both albums are fantastic...and for those ACAS haters, I feel that is so sad that you feel that way...I think its a brilliant concept (still hoping Alice follows through on a tour for this)...but EOAC has easily my favorite song on the album: Spirits Rebellious (needs to do that live BIG TIME) and on Dirty Diamonds, the title track is a classic that I think sounds betters live than from the studio...and of course Zombie Dance :)
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:In a perfect world, I would love to see a performance of Black JuJu, and right at the point Alice screams "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" glisten right into "Black JuJu." But that will be left at pure fantasy..
Let me get this straight... you want to see "Black JuJu" segue into "Black JuJu"?

:grin:
Ya gotta admit....it would flow REALLY well! :teach:
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

CountryMetalPunk
Trash
Trash

Post by CountryMetalPunk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:48 am

I really didn't like either of them at first, but I love them both now. They're hard to compare, but I'd have to go with Eyes, mostly because of Detroit City & Love Should Never Feel Like this.

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:57 am

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:Both albums are fantastic...and for those ACAS haters, I feel that is so sad that you feel that way...I think its a brilliant concept (still hoping Alice follows through on a tour for this)...but EOAC has easily my favorite song on the album: Spirits Rebellious (needs to do that live BIG TIME) and on Dirty Diamonds, the title track is a classic that I think sounds betters live than from the studio...and of course Zombie Dance :)
Brilliant concept doesn't necessarily translate into a good album. ACAS failed in the song department IMO. I loved the concept but ACAS is one of the worst Alice albums musically. The only song that does it at all for me is "Salvation". It is has a great hook and seems like it is an alice classic. The rest is z grade scrap heap.

As for Eyes and DD I like songs off both of those records but neither as a whole. I agree "Spirits Rebellious" is a killer song and should be played live. One I really like off DD is "Six Hours". It sounds like an old Alice song and the guitar solo is amazing. That song feels like it could have been written in the '70's honestly.

If I have to choose I would go with EOAC but I made a comp of those two records and included my favorites from both. I love to do that!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 am

CountryMetalPunk wrote:Love Should Never Feel Like this.
GREAT song!