The Eyes of Alice Cooper vs Dirty Diamonds

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

The Eyes of Alice Cooper vs Dirty Diamonds

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:21 pm

It is interesting but I remember when TEOFAC came out, I really didn't care for the album all that much. I thought Brutal Planet was an absolute masterpiece and though not quite as consistent liked Dragontown. When Dirty Diamonds was released I liked it a lot more than The Eyes. However, but albums I pretty much stopped listening to a few months after their release. In the last year, I have started listening to them again and now I have developed a real appreciation for The Eyes. I think it is a superior album to Dirty Diamonds.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: The Eyes of Alice Cooper vs Dirty Diamonds

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:31 pm

The Eyes Of Alice Cooper took a while to grow on me, but after a few weeks of constant play I started really getting into it. The problem I had initially with the album was it didn't seem fluid enough; all the great tunes were stacked at the beginning, the average ones tacked to the arse end. Minus Love Should Never Feel Like This and Detroit City, the last part of the album sunk a bit. Still good, just not great. Of course I'm talking about initial thoughts of TEOAC; now I like the entire album and find solice and understanding in the latter half.

Now compared to Dirty Diamonds there is no comparison for me. DD is a more diverse, fun album... and it wins the fight hands down.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:37 pm

The artwork for The Eyes was a let-down, apart from the front and back covers. Other than that, the writing and sound is brilliant in The Eyes - maybe that bit more superior to Dirty Diamonds .. i mean, the title track and others give Eyes a run for it's money.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:43 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:The artwork for The Eyes was a let-down, apart from the front and back covers.
I'd have to agree with you on the cover comment. I liked TEOAC's front and back covers more than DD's. The band shot on the back of The Eyes Of Alice Cooper was fantastic.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:22 pm

I really like both of these albums. Eyes sounds rough and ready and has some great songs. The first 4 tracks are exeptional (I suspect most middle aged men could identify with the topics discussed!), and its really good to sing along to.

DD is much more polished, slick and varied,(and is her ladyship's favorite by far).

If pressed, I would go for DD, 'Sunset Babies' just brilliant.
...And personally, I don't care.

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

I think out of the two I'd also pick DD as my personal favourite. I agree with Shoey in that the tracks I like most are all towards the beginning of Eyes, meaning that while the remainder isn't disappointing to me, it's less fun to listen to, I find.

I also really like Sunset Babies, and wish it had lasted into the '06 live setlist (for the UK, not sure if it carried over into '06 in any other country).
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:46 pm

There are some really good fun songs on "The Eyes," but Dirty Diamonds is superior in my eyes (pun intended.)
Me = Winning

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:12 am

The eyes is probably a more energetic and rougher sounding album but I think writing is superior on Dirty diamonds. Dirty diamonds is more diverse and creative in my opinion. Zombie dance is almost an Alice epic. Dirty diamonds despite its many stylistically different songs is a very cohesive album with a nice flow. The saga of Jesse Jane is hysterical, Sunset babies is stonesy and entertaining, Prettty ballerina is one of the better Alice covers and the tittle track is always cool when performed live.

It took me ages to learn to like The eyes but now I listen to it almost regularly. The better songs are definately on the first half. I was also quite dissappointed about ballads on The eyes. They didn't have the same emotion and punch as Alice's previous ballads. I also think Novocaine is a horrible song. The idea of the lyrics is interestin but when Alice starts to sing, ''When you touch me /When you hold me/ When you kiss me/I don't feel anything/etc..'', the song just dies.

So Dirty diamonds gets easily my vote! It is an excellent album.

Sadogoat
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Sadogoat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:14 am

Dirty Diamonds is much better. Eyes has Man Of The Year, What Do You Want From Me?, Detroit City, This House Is Haunted and possibly I'm So Angry but they don't match against the whole Dirty Diamonds album which has no boring or dull moment.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:54 pm

I prefer Eyes. I really like the production, or lack of production, on that album. The songs seem to jump out at you much more. IMO, if he used this type of production on ACAS, it would have been a real classic.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:29 pm

I don't think The Eyes lived up to it's potential. If there where studio pics of the band recording, or of the band performing at some club within the cover then it would carry more of the spirit of a garage band's album rather than an Alice one. Especially if it was released under a band name, rather than Alice Cooper.

As impractical as it is, would be more true to the whole Garage Band thing.

The stage show was good tho, a return of the Spider eye makeup and everything seemed to fit in well with it.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Wow, interesting responses, thanks! I don't know Dirty Diamonds just doesn't have an "Alice feel" to it in my opinion. I may be in the minority but I never liked it when Alice did songs like "Jesse Jane" "Ubangi Stomp" and "I Love America." Alice, in my opinion, is more about dark humor and those types of songs were just a little too cheesy for my personal tastes.

I would match rather hear "What Do You Want From Me" than anything off of Dirty Diamonds. Sunset Babies and Zombie Dance are the only two songs off of DD that I think are absolute Alice classics.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Well when DD came out I preferred it over Eyes. Now since some time has passed Eyes has grown om me much more and now I actually prefer it as a whole album over DD. While DD has some great songs there are some songs that are not as good. While I like almost every song on Eyes.The problem I see with DD is the production. mastering ?? whatever you call it.. Maybe compression? The bass guitar it turned up to high in the mix and when I turn up the volume it distorts badly and almost makes it un-listenable. (like Metallicas Death Magnetic) I turn up say for instance Sunset Babies which is a great track but it is distorted with the bass etc. I am afraid DD suffers from what a lot of new releases suffer from. I really wish things weren't like that now days. Sort of wish bands were recording in analog as maybe this would help??? I really miss the way recordings used to sound like as they are mixed too high anymore.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Alexis
Trash
Trash

Post by Alexis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:09 am

I have listened to Alice since the 70's and you'll find this as a shock, but right now Dirty Diamonds is my favorite Alice album. It's fresh,energetic, catchy and fun! Some great riffs! I'm sure it's also because I've been listening to the classics for 30 years!

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 am

I wish Woman Of Mass Distraction and Lost In America were still in the setlist rather than From The Inside and Nurse Rozetta. Sunset Babies never should have been dropped just because Roxie left and I would love to hear him play Pretty Ballerina live one day.

The Coop does have some great new material that is under represented in his current show. Vengeance could go too to make more room.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:59 am

>The Coop does have some great new material that is under represented in his current show. Vengeance could go too to make more room.

But that is "new material".

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:49 pm

New, good on record, but weak live w/o Slash's noodling. Many songs from BP on would be better live. Glad to see WYM back.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:28 pm

>New, good on record, but weak live w/o Slash's noodling. Many songs from BP on would be better live. Glad to see WYM back.

You also called for the inclusion of two older songs, having already said that there should be more "new material", so it wasn't really clear what you meant. It came across as a contradiction.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:Glad to see WYM back.
Thanks. I only went to the restroom, but good to be back none the less.
Me = Winning

Jacknife_Johnny
Killer
Killer

Post by Jacknife_Johnny » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Phew! There I was trying to think of WYM as an Alice track!!
:blush:
I would never join a club that would have me as a member!