WTMN part 2?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

WTMN part 2?

Post by Dragonlady » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Eeeek! Me again, after listening to Alice on Planet Rock again...

I am listening to yesterday's show and Alice just said he was considering going back to WTMN? And that he had actually talked it over with Shep Gordon?

How cool would that be? We've been "fantastising" about this here long enough! Oh and I just spent half of my day at work (ahem) thinking up more ideas! *mind warp* Oh the possibilities!

I hope this is really going somewhere!

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Re: WTMN part 2?

Post by scotty » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 pm

what about acas???

lattss
Killer
Killer

Post by lattss » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:02 pm

How about Along Came a Nightmare?

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:49 am

The way I understood this it would come after ACAS. These things take time to prepare. But that's just my personal speculation of course. And nothing is official.

Lattss, yes there are a few here who'd love something along these lines!

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:24 am

from what I recall,constrictor nearly was wtmn 2.it seems to be something he's intrigued to do-would be cool to have dick wagner,steve hunter,prakash john,whitey glan,and joseph chirowsky be the band (under bob's production)

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:05 am

scotty wrote:from what I recall,constrictor nearly was wtmn 2.it seems to be something he's intrigued to do-would be cool to have dick wagner,steve hunter,prakash john,whitey glan,and joseph chirowsky be the band (under bob's production)
We haven't had an update on Dick Wagner in a while, not sure he would be up to Alice's tour schedule. The last I heard he was writing songs but still wasn't up to par on learning to play his guitar again.. I'll ask Si when he gets in.. Unless anyone else out there knows... :8):

I hope his recovery is progressing well.
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:09 pm

WTMN 2 in the album form? I have mixed feelings about that one, especially after this last album.
Me = Winning

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:32 pm

WTMN was epic, but I don't see how it can be repeated. Alice isn't the same as he was then, plus the times / music has moved on.

Much prefer Alice doing something new, like ACAS (even if it doesn't stand up to his past works) than going back to past successes.

Atlanta Santa
Trash
Trash

Post by Atlanta Santa » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:21 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:WTMN was epic, but I don't see how it can be repeated. Alice isn't the same as he was then, plus the times / music has moved on.
That's a good point. Otherwise: Meat Loaf did three parts of BAT OUT OF HELL and in my opinion the concept worked in the nineties as well as in 2006 with a pretty timeless sound.

I really like the idea of Nigtmare - Part 2 and a team like Ezrin-Wagner should be able to create the next Cooper-classic.
But I agree with some of you that Alice should update the sound a little bit. But rather similarly like THE LAST TEMPTATION than BRUTAL PLANET.
I got a job in atlanta in a mall playing santa

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Well, ACAS sounds more like the old albums but it is a modern sound too. I guess that "retro" is in the fashion at the moment.
That was what some reproached to the new album, but myself I really enjoyed that.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:32 pm

I think it could be a good idea for Alice to do "WtMN Part 2". WtMN has name recognition and might draw more attention which would be beneficial especially since Alice doesn't get enough media attention these days. So I think it has good potential because it could mean another concept album but one with more name recognition.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:30 pm

glamprincess wrote:I think it could be a good idea for Alice to do "WtMN Part 2". WtMN has name recognition and might draw more attention which would be beneficial especially since Alice doesn't get enough media attention these days. So I think it has good potential because it could mean another concept album but one with more name recognition.
True, but the bar will be set pretty high considering the album it is trying to live up to. It will have to live up to the name and be something worthy rather than just being a regular album with the Nightmare name on it.
Me = Winning

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:01 am

I don't like the idea of calling it "Nightmare 2" or anything similar. I think Alice would run the risk of being seen as clinging to past glories - as if his name alone isn't enough.

You can almost hear the slogan:
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the music store.

Alice has said that his progressive momentum is the reason he'd never regroup with Neal, Dennis, and Mike. To my ears, naming a new album with the word "Nightmare" would be about as progressive as calling it "School's Still Out." Think about that one for a second.

Sure, make another concept album. Base it on truly scary stuff - that would be great. Personally, I think he should take my witch story idea and run with that!
(If you missed it, click here: http://www.alicecooperpics.co.uk/Sickth ... f=2&t=4883)

Besides, for my money, "Goes to Hell" WAS Nightmare 2. Read some of the sleeve notes, courtesy of Si's great resources...

Lay still, Steven, and I'll tell you a bedtime story... It's a story that takes place in a dream, like other nightmares you have known. It's a dream that Alice has dreamed...

...Sleep tight, Steven. And have a good night.
:yawn:

Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

alienspice
Killer
Killer

Post by alienspice » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:39 am

Dannorama wrote:
Besides, for my money, "Goes to Hell" WAS Nightmare 2. Read some of the sleeve notes, courtesy of Si's great resources...

Yes! that's what I've always thought. I knew we were on the same wavelength! ;)

If Alice were to do a concept album that is not a continuation of ACAS for some reason (which I think he kinda HAS to do, given the unanswered questions on there) he should finally do the Spirits Rebellious project. That seems to me to be something that would be near and dear to his heart, and also has the potential to be very contemporary and rockin.
you look like you'd fit in the trunk of my car

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 pm

what was the concept for spirits rebellious? that was with allen menkin right? I was surprised when that ended up just another track on "eyes",when it had high expectations.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:29 pm

>I was surprised when that ended up just another track on "eyes

I think those were two separate things.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:44 pm

The problem also is perception. Unfortunately, it has been years since Alice had a hit and radio more than likely wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, no matter how good it sounded. You would have tons of people claiming Alice was trying to relive past glories and WTMN2 paled in comparsion to the original. It is the same reason, why I (and I am probably in the minority) don't favor Alice reuniting with the original band. I don't think the demand is out there and it would serve little benefit to Alice's career (I don't think reuniting with the original bands would mean bigger venues, etc).

Someone mentioned Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell projects. I would agree that Bat Out of Hell 2 worked pretty well, but I didn't think the last one worked at all. In fact, I heard many people say it was shameless because he kept rehashing the same idea as a desperate way to get another hit. Whether that is true or not is irrelevant, because perception unfortunately is everything in the music business. Queensryche tried to go back and relive their best moment, Operation Mindcrime, by doing Mindcrime 2 and it was awful.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 am

[quote="cooperrocks" Queensryche tried to go back and relive their best moment, Operation Mindcrime, by doing Mindcrime 2 and it was awful.[/quote]

Agreed the recorded version sucked BUT it did work very well in Concert - the live shows were nothing short of spectacular .

And to keep it Alice related The Nightmare Returns tour is still one of my favorite shows whereas the album of that time , Constrictor , is one of my least favorite .

So in a way Alice has already visited Nightmare 2

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:17 pm

What about Alice getting together with the old band and with Dick Wagner and writing together new material for this WTMN 2 which then will be released as a double-live album recorded in Japan ?

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:24 pm

You put Ezrin , wagner , cooper and a few of the old crew into a studio for a month and some magic is going to
happen i don t doubt that .

It could be a work or art a crowing glory , but can this type of album sell in todays market is another story . Mabe theres to many old ghosts , egos , unhealed wounds or money involved for this to happen .

I would nt have a clue if calling a new album WTMN2 is a good idea , but getting into a studio with Wagner , Ezrin etc is a no brainer .

I know the coop needs to go along with current trends to some extent , he s got to cater to the new buying public etc to sell units .And its good to see new fresh faces But on the other hand these fellows have had there chance to write a hit or even a minor hit , but have come up short time after time . How many tunes have been written over say the last 6 albums , 60 , 70 odd .

The coop pulling a 360 turn and getting the old crew back for writing in itself would be a fresh bold move from the current situation . Keep new young players for live as there energy is needed thats also a no brainer .

Plz no flames , i still think the newer albums and players are great but again Wagner Ezrin and the Coop recording again is a no brainer in my eyes .

But hey its the coops band so he can do what ever floats his boat .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan