Nightmare returns Tour question......

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Gunner wrote:especailly when he did that hideous photo shoot of blood and limbs in the bath etc.
*ears prick up* blood and limbs in the bath?! Don't think I've seen that, would love to though.

RYFAY is in me top 5 albums, love it!!!
Flesh fanatic psychopath

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Gorehound wrote:
Gunner wrote:especailly when he did that hideous photo shoot of blood and limbs in the bath etc.
*ears prick up* blood and limbs in the bath?! Don't think I've seen that, would love to though.

I think this one is from the shoot that Gunner is referring to? Sorry pic is a bit small; it's all I can lay my hands on the PC at the moment.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Nice one sparky - well found, the memories! ha!

Does anyone else think the hands from under the toilet seat are very reminiscent of Zappa?

Love the shower tray and cup of blood detail!
:grin:
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Cheers Sparky, that's awesome :grin:

Hmm, on the web design course I'm doing we have to find 'inspirational pieces' to stick in our sketchbooks, wonder if I could get away with that in there.
Flesh fanatic psychopath

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 pm

Gunner wrote: Alice wanted Randy Piper originally for guitar in that era, I think he would have looked more 'Alice', but the whole 'Alice goes WASP' thing made me cringe honestly - especailly when he did that hideous photo shoot of blood and limbs in the bath etc.
Randy Piper was hired and fired for not being able to play at the first rehearsals for the tour.
Alice never went WASP though, WASP tried to go Alice with their 'Steven' aka the Jonathon Steel character on Crimson Idol.
According to Kerrang! magazine the intro music for the Nightmare Returns tour was a mickey take at WASP's 'Inside The Electric Circus'.

Kane breathed new life into Alice, I know some didn't like the Heavy Metal treatment to the classics but he did an important job in helping make Alice heavy and mean again.

He is underated as a guitarist I think, but if you listen to the power and technical dexterity of his playing, especially on Raise Your Fist which for me showed him also as a really good co writer, the guy is top class.
'Freedom' is a classic, the 'Elected' of the 1980's.

Having seen Kane play live with Alice 11 times on the tours he did, I can tell you he was consistently really good at every gig.

He also plays some great guitar on 'Bed Of Nails' which people often forget about.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:42 am

Anyway, Kane Roberts era; horrible, the show was OK, a bit contrived, a bit 'cartoon', but giving Alice Cooper classics the 'heavy metal' treatment was crass and embarressing. For me, that era 86 - 91 was a mockery of the Alice Cooper concept of the 70's. Give me a 'mindless' yet CREATIVE Alice in Toronto thinking up the Dada concept album ANYDAY!

I think we reached the end of this thread as Second Coming was NEVER played.
I dont agree with any of this either, Just my opinion.
The metal version of the classics was a bit of a stretch but I dug it.
Raise your fist And Yell is a brilliant CD / Album. Again...In my opinion Dada is just not a good Alice record.
I had a very hard time accpting any of the early 80's New Wave Alice.

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks for all the responses !!!

erm.....speaking of Kane....on the "Nightmare" show in Manchester UK, he saw someone reaching on stage for a "Cane" that Alice had discarded....he took a quick glance to see that Alice wasn't watching, and nudged it nearer to the guys hands with his foot....the fan was so happy, and Kane gave him a great smile and a wink...Which I thought was cool....pretty good guitarist too!!
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

ULTRALATEX
Trash
Trash
Location: EAST KILBRIDE(SCOTLAND) if ever visiting,let me know and I'll buy you a beer

Post by ULTRALATEX » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:25 am

I always thought Saints And Sinners was a great album.Still to hear Kane's 1st album.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:49 am

I think this one is from the shoot that Gunner is referring to? Sorry pic is a bit small; it's all I can lay my hands on the PC at the moment.
Aye, ;) Thats from the shoot, it was for KERRANG if my memory serves me well - nice one Sparky!!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Alice never went WASP though
Maybe not, but he went with a sledgehammer crass horror metal approach, so you get my drift.
WASP tried to go Alice with their 'Steven' aka the Jonathon Steel character on Crimson Idol.
I think you'll find that was the most WHO/Townsend epic conceptual masterpiece "Tommy" (Not Steven) inspired album one can think of!
According to Kerrang! magazine the intro music for the Nightmare Returns tour was a mickey take at WASP's 'Inside The Electric Circus'.
Maybe a little 'tongue in cheek' yes.
Kane breathed new life into Alice, I know some didn't like the Heavy Metal treatment to the classics but he did an important job in helping make Alice heavy and mean again.
Maybe.
I think so too, I actually think that RYFAY was a very good HM album, just a bit of a Cooper sell out for me though.
Having seen Kane play live with Alice 11 times on the tours he did, I can tell you he was consistently really good at every gig.

Nice guy too, met him twice.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Gunner wrote:
Alice never went WASP though
Maybe not, but he went with a sledgehammer crass horror metal approach, so you get my drift.
WASP tried to go Alice with their 'Steven' aka the Jonathon Steel character on Crimson Idol.
I think you'll find that was the most WHO/Townsend epic conceptual masterpiece "Tommy" (Not Steven) inspired album one can think of!
Maybe a little 'tongue in cheek' yes.
Maybe.
I think so too, I actually think that RYFAY was a very good HM album, just a bit of a Cooper sell out for me though.

Nice guy too, met him twice.
That's a ood point you make about Tommy, plus of course they covered The Who song 'The Real Me', I think WASP's Jonathan character was a bit of a cross between Steven & Tommy.

I agree Raise Your Fist is a really good album.

Alice has never been afraid to change things a bit as we saw with the alternative albums, I agree he is at his best doing classic rock but his music always had a hard edge to it which is why I don't think it was such a departure when he embraced heavy metal.
I take your point but don't think he sold out, just had to try something a bit different and it worked as it put him back on the radar.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Gunner wrote:
Alice wanted Randy Piper originally for guitar in that era, I think he would have looked more 'Alice', but the whole 'Alice goes WASP' thing made me cringe honestly - especially when he did that hideous photo shoot of blood and limbs in the bath etc.
If I recall what actually happened is Piper was in the band but in rehearsals they discovered he couldn't actually play well enough and so was dropped. There's a quote about it somewhere on this site.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:28 pm

he blew it.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Just read this from this site... Randy Piper, about halfway down the page.

http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/albums/a-constrict.php
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

ALICEROCKS
Killer
Killer

Re: Nightmare returns Tour question......

Post by ALICEROCKS » Sun May 08, 2011 8:54 am

I am a huge fan of both Alice ,Kane,and W.A.S.P. so i dont why Randy was fired he's great! I would love to share the stage with Alice,Kane,Blackie Lawless,and W.A.S.P. oneday! *cloud9* :rock: xjumpingx :kitty:
I Gotta get outta this place,I'll go runnin in outer space yeah!...."Im Eighteen".

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun May 08, 2011 9:10 am

Yeah it's too bad no one ever shed light on this subject...
Me = Winning

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun May 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Did you not read the page Shoesalesman posted?

Light is shed there. And Randy was fired because he wasn't great. He may be now, I don't know, but at the time, he had lots of problems....

Hunter

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 am

I also think that Freedom and the whole second side of Raise your fist and yell are great. That record reminds me a lot about 80's Judas priest and WASP. Constrictor had a few good songs on it, but for me it seemed to be a somewhat calculated album. RYFAY was a lot more dangerous, rebellious and also quite entertaining with its splatter and horror attitude. It just seemed to be more natural album for Alice to do.

It may not be Alice's most creative work but it is a nice record to shout along, bang your head and let the adrenaline flow. Kane Roberts is a perfect fit for the album. His playing on it is also much more consistent and high quality than it was on Constrictor. Not every quitar playing style suits for every album. Album was more metal oriented, so Alice needed more metalish quitarist. I am sure Kane Roberts would have sounded very out-of-place
if he had played on From the inside, if you forgive me playing the if-game.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon May 09, 2011 8:19 am

SickThings wrote:Did you not read the page Shoesalesman posted?

I was being sarcastic regarding AliceRock's post.

I'm not really sure why this thread was bumped after 2 and a half years either.
Me = Winning

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon May 09, 2011 12:02 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
SickThings wrote:Did you not read the page Shoesalesman posted?

I was being sarcastic regarding AliceRock's post.
Yeah, I was actually replying to ALICEROCKS's post, but used your wording. I should have quoted....
I'm not really sure why this thread was bumped after 2 and a half years either.
Apparently ALICEROCKS was reading through past posts....

Hunter