For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Manchester

Post by killer wolf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:18 am

Goddamn, now that's how to shake up a set list! absolutely storming show, i swear Alice just gets better each year. I'd caught some spoilers about a couple of new tracks but i didn't expect as much as we got, some really surprising choices. The castle set was great, the band were on form and the crowd reaction to even the most obscure tracks must surely lay to rest the theory of casual fans not enjoying anyting but the hits.
no other spoilers in case others are waiting for the surprise, but i was particularly happy to see one track in particular making a surprising resurrection ;-)
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Manchester

Post by Robbie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 am

I agree with everything Killer Wolf says. I thought it was fantastic-am tempted to go to London to see it again! Not something I have done since Theatre of Death. The lighting and presentation of Billion Dollar Babies was the best I've ever seen it (and I have seen every tour back to Special Forces) and also the addition of some new theatrical elements was great but won't discuss so as not to spoil it for others who have yet to go. If they ever look on this site, congratulations to Alice, the band and all the team involved for a truly memorable show!
P.s. I thought the Stranglers were very good too although unfortunately missed first support due to work commitments

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Robbie wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 am
If they ever look on this site, congratulations to Alice, the band and all the team involved for a truly memorable show!
They do, often.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

jram
Killer
Killer

Post by jram » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Setlist was brilliant (I looked it up in advance, and still didn't register just how much has changed or some of the tracks included), stage set is all new and works well for them - I kept myself in the dark about that, and it was great to see just how many new theatrical elements there are.
The crowd was dead, though - I was five rows from the front, on the aisle of the left block, and people were just standing. No dancing, no hands in the air, barely even heads nodding. Honestly the most soulless arena gig I have ever attended, in 20 years. Alice and his band are on top form, the whole production is the best it's been in ages, and I doubt I will ever travel to see them play again. I'd have second thoughts about even going to a hometown Glasgow gig after this - the guy in front of me had a VIP laminate, and during the show he sat down and ate nachos with dip he'd bought like it's a movie theatre.

I had to choose between Aberdeen or Manchester, two cities full of Tories and Brexit w*nkers, and opted for the one that has a sense of humour. That was a sore and disappointing mistake, I've been at wakes that had better atmosphere than the gig last night.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Wow. I hadn't seen anything remotely that negative about the crowd posted yet. I can't believe that a bunch of the STUK Sickies weren't going nuts up there.

As for nacho-man, there will always be a few people who have the VIP because they are financially able to. Most important is you and your enjoyment of the show itself.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil1985 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:39 pm

I start by offering the caveat that there are a couple of set list spoilers in this post.

I was in floor block A last night, about 10 rows back, the right hand block as you look at the stage and I have to say the atmosphere around me was really good!! There
Was head banging to muscle of love, some woman in front of me was nearly in tears when escape was played, so happy about its inclusion, so many people singing every lyric to Roses on white lace, my stars and fallen in love, so I can’t knock it.
I’ve been on every UK tour since Brutal planet and the stranglers seemed to get one of the warmest reactions that I’ve seen any support band get, the lightning was fantastic and I agree, billion dollar babies was epic thanks to its green tinge.
I had my doubts about the giant baby but after seeing it last night, it’s one hell of a spectacle.
No Ballard either, so the show flew by at pace, relentless rock, I absolutely loved it!!! The only small questionable part was raped and freezing, love the tune but seems like the odd song out for some reason, given the pace of the show I can see why desperado didn’t work.
All in all, one of the best gigs I think I’ve ever seen

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Well the only "dead" crowd i saw were in the tiered seats, everyone was sitting through the whole show. i was Block E on the floor, everyone i saw in front of me stood up at the opening and didn't sit down again. People were rocking it out, was a limit to what you could do due to the seats - the goddamn things had a bar across the front legs so you couldn't even step back proplerly to let someone pass.

i was about ten feet short of getting some streamers, but i scored a baby balloon :-D \o/
KW
/X\oo/X\

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:23 pm

KW
/X\oo/X\

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:47 pm

I was fairly far back - on the floor. The crowd round us were great and we all had a brill time. A really great show!
Time is getting closer

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:54 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:14 pm
Wow. I hadn't seen anything remotely that negative about the crowd posted yet. I can't believe that a bunch of the STUK Sickies weren't going nuts up there.
Atmosphere at the arena shows WITH SEATS is normally pretty bad. It's nothing to do with the band or performances and all to do with the soulless venues. For a lot of people if there is a seat it means they can constantly go off to the bar or sit and play on facebook.
Take out the seats and it makes a HUGE difference, as shown tonight in Brighton.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Aberdeen was a great gig, I second some real soulless folk though. Standing in front of the stage like they are waiting for something to happen when it is all happening right in front of them and I am standing of to the side with a restricted view wishing I was in there.

I was stood behind the wheelchair users in Block A with my 7 year old fist pumping on my shoulders for most the night. Tried to get him closer for a song or 2 on the advice of some staff and got told no by the girl sitting guard between blocks A and B. He was giving more energy than a lot of the folk in that area, guess I shall get him VIP tickets next time but I'm going to be at least £1100 I guess to get us both that close.

marko10174
Trash
Trash

Post by marko10174 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:33 pm

I was at Manchester. I think I was in block J which was right of the arena, got a really good view of the stage. It was my first time seeing Alice. The setlist was phenomenal, Alice and the band sounded amazing, by far the best gig I've ever been to, loved every minute of it! will he be touring again next year? because I definitely want to go.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:17 am

The crowd was dead, though - I was five rows from the front, on the aisle of the left block, and people were just standing. No dancing, no hands in the air, barely even heads nodding. Honestly the most soulless arena gig I have ever attended, in 20 years. Alice and his band are on top form, the whole production is the best it's been in ages, and I doubt I will ever travel to see them play again. I'd have second thoughts about even going to a hometown Glasgow gig after this - the guy in front of me had a VIP laminate, and during the show he sat down and ate nachos with dip he'd bought like it's a movie theatre.
I'm going Birmingham today and I am also worried the crowd will just be as lifeless as they were last tour when I saw them at Wembley. Still believe me as soon as my delicate ears hear roses on white lace I will be going absolutely mental - headbanging lunatic screaming every word!
This is the first show I am genuinely excited for , for a long time now.
Can. Not. Wait.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Cardiff

Post by Seriously » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Cardiff was full to the brim last night. Was looking forward to MC50 and they didn't disappoint, blew my socks off in fact, Stranglers were slow to warm up, but got there in the end.

Alice was really on form,it was seated but it didn't matter. Setlist was different and a breath of fresh air, great show, well done to the band, they rocked. :rock: :rock: :rock: