Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Re: ‘Ol black eyes is back Tour

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:01 am

Lucius Morthem wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:57 pm
Mexico is confirmed for May. I'd give an arm and a leg to see him in Chile. I hate this country, most tours I care about don't make it down here
You never know. There are plenty of open dates left this year.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:20 am

I assume UK (and possibly Ireland) dates will be announced soon?

jram
Killer
Killer

Post by jram » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:37 am

Is it weird that I almost don't want a Glasgow show announced, because then I'll have to decide whether or not to go - or, more specifically, have to decide whether to wrestle with another ticketing clusterf-ck just to get a half-decent seat....?

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 am

would love another Hallowe'en gig, paws crossed. probably meant yet another Manchester/Glasgow haul though, apparently Newcastle is still missing from Google Maps :-|
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:29 am

Halloween gigs again would be great but I feel exactly the same way about Glasgow. Terrible experience trying to get decent tickets.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:11 am

Lucius Morthem wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:57 pm
Mexico is confirmed for May. I'd give an arm and a leg to see him in Chile. I hate this country, most tours I care about don't make it down here
I know it might not be possible, but he does come to Brazil sometimes, maybe you could catch one of his shows here. I gotta say that Curitiba is amazing to see concerts, both times I was there was to see Alice (2007 and 2017) and both times it was cheaper than other locations, easier to get to the front row (in 07 it was a theater, so maybe this doesn’t count) and people were very nice.
It is easier than going to the USA or europe, I have seen you wanting to see him for a long time, and probably more than most people here who lives in places he tour more often, I certanly can understand your feeling.
But, if he does come to Brazil again and not to Chile, you may think about the possibility
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:09 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:23 pm
I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, but two songs rumored to be in the OBE is B Tour setlist are Poison and School's Out. One can only hope. There's also talk of a drum solo.
Cruel stuff, man. In all seriousness, do we know anything about the setlist/content?

I last saw Alice in 2011 (time flies!) but I'm seriously considering getting a ticket this time around. There's five months between the first show and the one near me, so maybe I should wait until a setlist emerges ...

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:23 am

Kristian wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:09 pm
In all seriousness, do we know anything about the setlist/content?
The setlist/show has been on cruise control for over a decade now, so I don't see things getting any better (there'll be the token bone or two tossed to the die-hard fans, but that's about all). It's the nature of the beast when an act has been around for over half a century.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:53 pm

In my opinion during recent years Alice Cooper has been much more adventurous with setlist than stage show in a both good and bad way. The show hasn't included fresh new ideas for a long time. Instead we got variations of traditional AC theatrics. But the situation regarding the setlist isn't even nearly as bad as die hard fans claim.

Bad: The controversial decision to put Raise the Dead cover section into show. In wasn't the right decision but it is definitely one I couldn't foresee a year before. It was surprising but in a negative way.

Good: Several songs from Flush the Fashion have appeared on the setlist. The World Need Guts has been played with stunning energy and minor surprises include Woman of Mass Distraction and Escape. Recent tours have included some not so obvious opening songs like Brutal Planet and Black Widow, not rarities but not the most obvious choices for opening the concert.

But none of this was the reason why I decided to break a long silence. I want to end the common misconception that Alice Cooper only changes 1-2 songs when a new tour is put together. That is mathematically FALSE. So I compared the setlists of the first concert of Spend The Night With Alice Cooper and the last headlining gig of Raise the Dead tour. Here are the results:
Following songs were not played on the preceding tour.

Black Widow
Public Animal #9
Is It My Body
Long Way To Go
Halo Of Flies
Cold Ethyl
Guilty

So there were 7 changes excluding the changes made in Raise the Dead section. Thank God that cover nonsense is over.
I admit he doesn't play that much rarities. The problem seems to be (as Si once pointed out) that he chooses songs from the same bunch. For example, if he performs something from Goes To Hell, it is Go To Hell, Guilty or I Never Cry.
I don't see Alice multiple times a year or even once in two years. I have only seen him 3 times (2005, 2009 and 2015), so of course any show feels much more fresh to me than for someone who has seen him over dozen times. But he does make changes much more than people give him credit for.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:24 pm

The son of Don Quijote wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:53 pm
Public Animal #9
Is It My Body
Long Way To Go
Halo Of Flies
Cold Ethyl
Guilty
Halo Of Flies (along with that ever-present drum solo) has been played to death. Anyway, the Brutal Planet tour featured 7 new songs as well as Caught In A Dream, It's Hot Tonight, Dead Babies and You Drive Me Nervous (even the drum solo was kinda cool, being played with flaming torches). The stage set and show was great - which, in my mind, was the last great AC show I've attended.

Sick Things was played in 2004, as was Desperado and Who Do You Think We Are. That stage show was dull but the song choices werent too bad. The night I attended had one guitarist and Teddy was on board for a couple of songs.

Again, at half a century, Alice is a nostalgia act, so I don't expect it to be fresh. Even the Stones and the Who shows have been stale for years. We all grow old.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:21 pm

padre-sliprat I didn't say Halo of Flies was some kind of rarity. I was just pointing out that it wasn't played on Raise the Dead tour (like the other songs that I listed) and that Alice Cooper changes more than 1-2 songs when the tour name changes. I know that he hasn't played much new material for many years. I wish he would play 4 or 5 Paranormal songs because I really like that record. I still like Welcome 2 My Nightmare very much also. It would be cool if some rarer 70's
songs like Black Juju, Wish You Were Here, Dead Babies, My Stars and Quiet Room wound up on the setlist. Alice will probably never play anything from my favorite album which is Dada.

To make things perfectly clear: The songs you quoted are not obscure or rare in any shape or form. The more surprising ones were mentioned earlier in my post, like Flush the Fashion tracks and The World Needs Guts.

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 am

For comparison, here's the setlist Morrissey used the last time I saw him:

Suedehead
Alma Matters
You Have Killed Me
Ganglord
Speedway
Staircase at the University
Have-A-Go Merchant
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
World Peace Is None of Your Business
Kiss Me a Lot
Istanbul
Meat Is Murder(The Smiths song)
It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small
Everyday Is Like Sunday
The Bullfighter Dies
Scandinavia
All You Need Is Me
The World Is Full of Crashing Bores
Jack the Ripper
I Will See You in Far-Off Places
Oboe Concerto
Encore:
Let Me Kiss You
Irish Blood, English Heart
Encore:
Let Me Kiss You
Irish Blood, English Heart

That is ONE Smiths song, and mostly new material. Very few "classic hits" to be found. One "obscure" older song.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:20 pm

The son of Don Quijote wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:21 pm
To make things perfectly clear: The songs you quoted are not obscure or rare in any shape or form. The more surprising ones were mentioned earlier in my post, like Flush the Fashion tracks and The World Needs Guts.
I never accused AC of having rare songs, just underplayed songs. Thanks to the internet, we're sick of the setlist before he ever gets to our town. :laugh:

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Kristian wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 am
For comparison, here's the setlist Morrissey used the last time I saw him:
Kristian, I'm familiar with the name but have no clue as to what Morrissey sounds like, or anything about him. From your post, I gather that this setlist must have been a huge treat for his fans.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:31 pm

I'm not sure you got my post this time either padre_sliprat, but I don't bother to correct you. Very few old artists and bands with a career spanning several decades play their latest album in its entirety or even most of it. There are exceptions though. But it is more common that they play only one song or nothing. Some artists don't play anything from the last 10-20 years (Elton John and Ozzy Osbourne come to mind and I like both by the way). The latest album has to be huge commercial success for some old acts to even consider to play several songs from it. I am glad that Morrissey is willing to take some risks and perform lots of new material and Iron Maiden is good example of this also. Dream Theater performed the entire Astonishing album on fairly recent tour. That choice divided the fan base. They are not nearly as old a band as some other acts mentioned in this post however.

I am not expecting Alice to perform entire Paranormal album or even half of it. But I don't think he will jump to the current trend and perform one of his classic albums like Killer from beginning to end either. Actually I don't want him to perform any of his albums in its entirety because he has a so large and diverse discography and I would like the next setlist to be much more eclectic.

Anyway I hope he comes to Finland on this tour. Because he is getting old and I may not have that many chances to see him live.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:49 pm

His current band is incredible and I hope there will not be any personnel changes this year. The band is tight, energetic and has a great chemistry.

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm

The thing about Morrissey is that anyone (except Morrissey) would say that his best work is not that of the last few album, so I was posting his setlist to be the Devil's Advocate.

By the way, if anyone is unfamiliar ... pick up ANYTHING by The Smiths (his former band) and I can guarantee you some stellar music. Very different from AC, though.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 am

Kristian wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm
The thing about Morrissey is that anyone (except Morrissey) would say that his best work is not that of the last few album, so I was posting his setlist to be the Devil's Advocate.

By the way, if anyone is unfamiliar ... pick up ANYTHING by The Smiths (his former band) and I can guarantee you some stellar music. Very different from AC, though.
Never liked the Smiths or Morrissey but my brother-in-law saw the last tour and was delighted with the lack of Smiths songs in the set. Just proves once again that we are all different. Accept your point though.

Personally I would like to see many changes to the show and the set but in the last week I've been thinking that if the next tour was to be the last and I was asked to choose the set I would have to put a lot of the standards back in as I'd hate to never hear them live again.

Couldn't live with myself if I missed out Schools Out, Elected, No More Mr Nice Guy, Hello Hurray, Be My Lover, Under My Wheels, plus another 8-9 regular features in the set.

So, what am I saying? If there are several tours still to go then the set needs changed for a couple of them but if not, which does seem more likely given Father Time, then keep most of it in. I want it both ways....

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Alice has stated in numerous interviews he has no plans to retire and Nita Strauss in a recent interview stated she thinks Alice will tour another 10-15 years so this is not Alice's last tour assuming his health holds up and that definitely appears to be the case as Alice is still in great shape.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 am

cooperrocks wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 pm
Alice has stated in numerous interviews he has no plans to retire and Nita Strauss in a recent interview stated she thinks Alice will tour another 10-15 years so this is not Alice's last tour assuming his health holds up and that definitely appears to be the case as Alice is still in great shape.
As a Senior Citizen, your optimism is encouraging!
However, I'm sure that Vince thanks the Lord for every day that he can continue. Things do creep up.
Alice does seem to feed on touring. I do hope he can sustain this level... even for many years to come! :clap:
We want to believe also! :grin:
He seems to thrive while on tour. Hopefully, that he can get enough golf games in to help him thrive. ;)
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...