Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Re: ‘Ol black eyes is back Tour

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:41 am

Part of the problem here is perception.
Whatever Era we are talking about (& 50 yrs. is a long time!) Once a fan got a hold of the latest release they played it over & over. Learning every nuance & note. :HEART:
It boils down to economics because, our disposable funds were (presumably) limited. :/ Then a fan could choose to either go forward with the latest release (when available) or dive into the back catalogue. Mine started with MOL, the ACG was not on a sound foundation at that time. BDB's was next, what a package! However, except for Pretties & EA the ACG put out a string of great LP's. I have my favorites on PFY & EA but it's not vinyl that I'm eager to flip to side 2 & back again. :x The Tour set was stuck in a rut granted but, this is is a huge step forward! :clap:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:22 am

I think one of the good things he has done through the years (but has become less pronounced post 2000) is the reinvention of the songs every couple of albums so although you saw I'm eighteen for 50 years it has been different one show to the next. 1991 and 1986 and 1980 and 1975 versions are all radically different with different musical passages, changes in style, tuning and band configurations. I feel this has had less reinvention from 2000 onwards as it has always slotted in with the "garage rock" style sound of Roxie and team etc.
I think me and many others have noticed the sharp change nita has brought in terms of sound and (directly or not) setlist.
I never have an issue with schools out, eighteen, poison etc (although the brutal planet tour had a lousy version of eighteen especially) as they have lots of energy and drive despite hearing them a million times - true classics which we can moan that we would like them dropped etc etc but as soon as you hear those riffs the goose bumps pop out and you cant help screaming at the top of your lungs (maybe that's just me?)
As mentioned I am so excited for this tour after seeing the setlist. Truly hope it stays the same and I get to experience the majesty of teenage Frankenstein, roses on white lace, my stars, bed of nails, steven, escape and fallen in love
It's gonna be a stonker!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:57 pm
Dannorama wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:04 pm
I saw the Madison, WI show last night. Fantastic.
I was there, too! Hometown shows rock!!
Schweeeeet! Maybe you saw me? I was the bald guy in a black t-shirt.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:38 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:39 am
HOWEVER---if Alice and the band can't make a song of the caliber and quality of "My Stars" work in any show or setting then it's time to put the mascara in the drawer and head on out to the golf course for good!
You really need to dial back the dramatics... it's hard to take you seriously at this point.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 pm

There are 3 songs that absolutely have to be in a full length Alice Cooper set at this point:

Eighteen
School's Out
Poison

As far as the original band, the LITD through MOL albums are pure brilliance and their importance can't be overestimated. However, Alice has had lots of great solo material over the years that many fans love. In fact, right out of the gate he created another classic in WTMN. On a side note, if WTMN had stiffed instead of being a classic in it's own right, I feel that the original band probably would have regrouped.

I happen to like TRASH quite a bit. "House of Fire", "Bed of Nails, "Spark In The Dark" and "Poison" (though I'm pretty tired of it) are all *brilliant* songs.

There's a certain segment of snobbish attitude from fans who only consider the original band, but plenty of fans love all eras of Alice.

As far as the current set, I'm thrilled to hear "My Stars" much as I am to hear "Roses on White Lace" and "Bed of Nails". It's a great song. I'm not sure it's quite as great live though, but it's very good even though it loses the piano in the the studio version which is pretty essential to the vibe. I do wish it wasn't shortened.

I do wish "Paranormal" was still in the set. "Fallen In Love" is very average for me and it's no better live.
Last edited by RemarkablyInsincere on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:24 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:56 pm
RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:38 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
HOWEVER---if Alice and the band can't make a song of the caliber and quality of "My Stars" work in any show or setting then it's time to put the mascara in the drawer and head on out to the golf course for good!
You really need to dial back the dramatics... it's hard to take you seriously at this point.
This coming from a guy who thinks Bed Of Nails and House Of Fire are "brilliant".

While I understand people liking different eras of Alice I cannot understand anyone calling Bed Of Nails and House Of Fire brilliant. That's like calling Mary Ann a masterpiece.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 am
NotSoPerfect wrote:
Dannorama wrote:
You probably just described half the audience!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 pm
As far as the current set, I'm thrilled to hear "My Stars" much as I am to hear "Roses on White Lace" and "Bed of Nails". It's a great song. I'm not sure it's quite as great live though, but it's very good even though it loses the piano in the the studio version which is pretty essential to the vibe.
It HAS the piano if you listen to the clips...

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:03 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:27 pm
Dannorama wrote:
You probably just described half the audience!
That was the joke....

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 pm

Yet again, more deleted posts for juvenile name calling...

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm
It must be way down in the mix but I was talking about the layered piano that fills out the sound.

That said, I went back and watched the video and it sounds better than I was remembering from the show. I'm sure it will get even tighter as that was show #2.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm
Si wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm
It must be way down in the mix but I was talking about the layered piano that fills out the sound.
Ah okay. I thought you meant the piano part over the opening... they have that. You can hear it more clearly in a clip posted in the last day or so to YouTube.
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm
That said, I went back and watched the video and it sounds better than I was remembering from the show. I'm sure it will get even tighter as that was show #2.
Yes, latest clip it sounds amazing (and the overall quality of the clip is better then anything we've seen yet) - MS-DF-BW from front row... Just do a search for "Alice Cooper" and then filter by "latest upload" or whatever the wording is, and you should see it.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Whats going on with the guillotine. I joked about it needing wd40 on the first night as it stuck a little near the bottom. I just watched a clip from Wabash and it jams half way down.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
This coming from a guy who thinks "Bed Of Nails" and "House Of Fire" are "brilliant". It's because of statements like this that no one has EVER taken you seriously.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:05 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:24 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:56 pm

This coming from a guy who thinks Bed Of Nails and House Of Fire are "brilliant".

While I understand people liking different eras of Alice I cannot understand anyone calling Bed Of Nails and House Of Fire brilliant. That's like calling Mary Ann a masterpiece.
"Mary Ann" is like Mozart compared to those two steaming piles!

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Mary Ann is a steaming pile all of its own. Understood the humour of it but always put it at the bottom of the pile of the ACG era next to Sun Arise which I have never got at all.

Bed of Nails has always been a favourite from that era. It's a point in time thing. BDB sounds awful to a lot of folk in their 20s and 30s while the Metal Years are now seen as 'classic'.

Many of us here seem to be stuck in a period nobody understands or really cares about. Happy in our own irrelevance as my daughter once said, just like I thought my friend's parents were with the late 50s music.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:26 pm

I "found" Alice in 1980. The blackout era is the Alice I love.

Also, I love the ryfay album and have friends who played on it. Roses On White Lace is on my top 10 Alice songs.

With that being said....nearly every song off Trash is pure corporate contrived crap.

With the exception of Poison which is a well written song....the rest is cookie cutter hair metal fluff with zero substance.

It's not an age or era thing....its about quality and integrity. Trash lacks in both.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 pm

I think the giant baby is hilarious; pure panto at its finest. My Stars is a fantastic track, but their retro metal squall doesn't fit at all; indeed, it spoils a number of the songs. The hair-metal tracks sound good though, as they suit the band's style......Teenage Frankenstein is pretty epic here. Alice's voice sounds fab in Steven. The castle looks great. The School's Out's 'shtick' is so boring; ditto, the drum solo.

I wonder what's changed Alice's mind re Bed Of Nails? For the past decade it's been one of those "don't agree with that message anymore" tracks.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Poison is a well-written song compared to the majority of songs from that era, but even it is still lacking in musical integrity to me. I’d love to never have to hear it or the rest of the Trash again. Always bathroom break time when that comes around.

Interesting how people like to make all these over generalizations about generations liking or not liking eras. I’m not saying my comment sums up what people like either, but as a 37 year old and a bar manager who has seen a lot of different crowds come and go, the majority of people who play Alice Cooper on the jukebox generally play School’s Out, 18, No More Mr. Nice Guy. There are very few people younger than me that I have talked to about music that mention liking Motley Crue or Guns N’ Roses much less Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, or 80s or current Alice Cooper. Most rock fans I come across are into 70s music like The Stones, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin or bands that have that stripped down vibe like The Black Crowes, Tom Petty, Greta Van Fleet, Jack White (ugh).

I have not heard Poison played one time at the bar in over a decade. I wear Alice shirts at work often, and the majority of people who mention that song when I have conversations are between my age and 50. The casual younger person tends to know and like at least one of the three older songs that I mentioned. Poison is seen as coming from an era that is passé. The polished, overproduced music of the 80s became a dinosaur when the Seattle scene hit with it’s more back to basics approach, and it is seen across much of the world of music outside of the small percentage of corporate rock bands still in existence that the majority of bands and what many people are listening too have a more stripped down approach that hearkens back to the 60s and 70s which in turn creates more appeal of the earlier Alice catalog.

Again, not saying this is an end all, be all comment, but the overgeneralization of what people in their 20s and 30s likes is inaccurate. I’m sure there are many who do like that era, but it does not fit and pretty much ignores what has happened in the world of rock music and culture since 1991 which makes up a much larger population than just the realm of corporate rock which has become a minor blip on the radar at this point.
Last edited by guttertrash on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Dannorama wrote:
NotSoPerfect wrote:
Dannorama wrote:
Haha!

FWIW, I was on the barrier RIGHT in front of T's mic stand.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!