For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mkayers
Trash
Trash

Re: ‘Ol black eyes is back Tour

Post by mkayers » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am

Not sure how true it is but someone on another forum said their friend did the M&G and Alice told him they were going to swap out two of the songs during the Halestorm tour and "Desperado" was coming back. I saw them Saturday and nothing has changed yet.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:58 pm

mkayers wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am
Not sure how true it is but someone on another forum said their friend did the M&G and Alice told him they were going to swap out two of the songs during the Halestorm tour and "Desperado" was coming back. I saw them Saturday and nothing has changed yet.
I would be down with that if it replaced Raped and Freezin'. It is getting no crowd reaction and doesn't flow within the set very well. Everything else is stellar except Billion Dollar Babies seems tired to me on this tour. Love the additions of Bed of Nails (Getting great response), Roses on White Lace (such a powerhouse song) and Teenage Frankenstein.

mkayers
Trash
Trash

Post by mkayers » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:34 pm

My Stars didn't seem to get much reaction either, I wouldn't be shocked to see that go even though I love it.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:18 pm

mkayers wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:34 pm
My Stars didn't seem to get much reaction either, I wouldn't be shocked to see that go even though I love it.
Honestly and this may come across as a criticism and I don't mean it this way but that is part of the problem that bands have when they become stagnant for years with their playlists. It gets to where anytime you get creative with the playlist the diehards love it (I love this year's playlist) but those stuck in a time warp or who only know the hits stand with their arms folded. It is cool for the person who has only seen the show once but for those of us who have seen a band many times it gets stale. I am a diehard Alice fan,have a passion for the music, but frankly I had planned to stay home this year if there were some changes and those have mercifully been made so I am very excited. I just hope it doesn't go back to the same old, same old in a few weeks or months. The reaction overall by the masses has been favorable for Bed of Nails (probably some of that due to the fact Trash was an album that won a lot of new fans), Roses on White Lace which many of us have been begging for years,and Teenage Frankenstein. I think all 3 of those heavier songs appeal to the somewhat "newer" Alice fan (even though they came from the 80's) and that is the part of the audience that was ignored for too many years. I hope people have learned from that.

But like I said before it is surprising but even with the original band or some of the early solo stuff there hasn't been much of a reaction to the more rare cuts. I was shocked a few years ago that there was basically no reaction to Long Way To Go or Public Animal #9. I was more surprised at the lack of reaction to Public Animal. It made me realize even the old school casual fan doesn't seem to know those songs. What I am almost decided is with the 70's stuff stick to the hits and then start doing more from the 1980s to the present as the "rare" stuff. I would probably start to and he had for a while, always include one song from the four early 80's albums and I would probably add 1 or 2 more from the modern era. I remember in 2000 at the shows I was at "Caught in a Dream" didn't get much of a reaction either.To me even though I am honestly tired of all three, "Eighteen," "School's Out" and "Poison" are the only three you absolutely have to do every tour but everything else you swap around. I hear rumor Desperado was rehearsed. I would probably replace Raped and Freezin' or My Stars with that one and either keep the other one for a rare song or play Desperado and then replace the other one with Freedom or Snakebite which was also rehearsed. I think Freedom would get a stronger reaction.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Most folks will always prefer generic puss poor beer to the real thing.

Desperado won't work as it is too slow and will not have the atmospheric strings. I mean does that song need three guitarists?

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Caught in a Dream, My Stars and Long Way to Go are some of the best stuff Alice has ever done. Crying shame that stuff doesn’t get the reaction it should.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:49 pm

I would probably replace Raped and Freezin' or My Stars with that one and either keep the other one for a rare song or play Desperado and then replace the other one with Freedom or Snakebite which was also rehearsed
I would be down for snakebite any day of the week!
I love my stars but I imagine it would sound weird live.....great songs don't always transfer live very well.
Raped and freezing just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the setlist so seems an odd addition.
Desperado might work if it was done in the vein of the trashes the world version (a stone cold classic rendition)

If I were to put in two tracks it would either be chop,chop,chop/gail or nothings free/cleansed by fire - but that's just me :)

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:31 am

"Gail" is one of my favorite songs.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:17 pm

I think that there's an exceptionally good chance that My Stars will make it through, at the very least, to the UK dates. They are completely aware, on the tour, of the epic hissyfit and tantrum that was thrown here on the board when some people thought the song was dropped, due to a typo.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:50 am

Why are people worried about how My Stars will sound Live.

It sounds fine on the Billion Dollar Babies 2cd set.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:12 pm

It sounds good live

Though, geez. It got ZERO reaction last night in Nashville.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Being a little farther back from NotSoPerfect last night in Nashville, I could see that the song got a little reaction, but not a whole lot. I loved it. In fact, I loved the entire show: the set, the setlist, the show itself. All fantastic! I had managed to stay semi-virginal re: the show (avoiding all videos, photos as best I could), and I haven't had so much fun at an Alice show in years!

My sincere thanks to Alice, the band, and the crew for a great night!

(Re: the openers, Motionless in White wasn't terrible, and Halestorm was mildly entertaining for me. Lzzy screamed her way through the set, which got old for me before the first song was even over. People I was with said she doesn't normally scream that much, so I don't know why she did last night, but that was the only real takeaway I had from their show: screaming.)

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:42 am

So the word on social media is Desperado made it's way in and nothing was removed :)

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:18 am

Raped and Freezin' and My Stars were both great!

https://youtu.be/q0Uv4_F1euU

https://youtu.be/zFet78qkMD4
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Sparticus
Killer
Killer

Post by Sparticus » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:22 pm

rgallie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:42 am
So the word on social media is Desperado made it's way in and nothing was removed :)
That’s fantastic!
If you call that guilty...then that's what I am

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Watching clips on youtube thinking on the 1 hand seated is going to be a pain in the ass, on the other for more selfish reasons its going to save my back and shoulders from having to alternate between making sure a 7 year old and a 9 year old are both getting a view of the stage and not just a screen. #dadrockproblems :rotfl:

NeilPearson
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by NeilPearson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:41 am

rgallie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:42 am
Sadly, Desperado only lasted for two shows (Aug 7th & 8th) before being dropped ::((:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y9s6S6gtaE

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil1985 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:58 pm

The reception for Desperado didn’t seem limp at all, worked quite well, albeit as a stand alone YouTube video, how did it fit with the flow of the show?
I was thinking maybe blue Turk would have worked better, as a slower paced tune, something about the skeletons and candlelight background.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 pm

if he drops desperado, maybe he could take up Caught in a dream again ( it worked before), or to stay in tune with the next song Love is a loaded gun , followed by Roses on white lace.
so many songs out there...( we would like to hear :alice: :alice: )
you really wouldn't understand..

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 am

SickThings wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:18 pm
Being a little farther back from NotSoPerfect last night in Nashville, I could see that the song got a little reaction, but not a whole lot. I loved it. In fact, I loved the entire show: the set, the setlist, the show itself. All fantastic! I had managed to stay semi-virginal re: the show (avoiding all videos, photos as best I could), and I haven't had so much fun at an Alice show in years!

My sincere thanks to Alice, the band, and the crew for a great night!

(Re: the openers, Motionless in White wasn't terrible, and Halestorm was mildly entertaining for me. Lzzy screamed her way through the set, which got old for me before the first song was even over. People I was with said she doesn't normally scream that much, so I don't know why she did last night, but that was the only real takeaway I had from their show: screaming.)
I was pretty virginal myself before the 8/11/19 Gilford NH show and very glad I did! I always feel if I spent the money for the show, I WANT to enjoy it and I must say, I TRULY enjoyed this last show very much! Loved the LITD curtain with "Night on Bald Mountain" being played (My wife was surprised and even more so when I told her it was on the BDB tour as well), the n ew stage is fantastic-sheer genius in the house design and loved all those babies running around, especially the Giant Baby :rock: .
Finished reading the last several pages since the July 4 show and got the same seat list, but a GREAT set list! At least 7-8 songs I 've never heard in a show with "Bed of Nails" (loathe TRASH, but "BON" is decent), "Muscle of Love", "Raped and Freezin'", "My Stars " (sounded fantastic and stellar playing by Ryan on the leads) and good to hear "Steven" instead of the way overplayed "BODF". Just a very enjoyable show, one of the best I've been to in awhile.
Band was great as usual-enjoyed the "Black Juju" bass lines on the drum solo, Tommy seemed to be playing more leads, Ryan dead on and while I preferred Orianthi's aloofness, Nita's enthusiasm truly won me over.
Alice had a Boston Red Sox shirt with "Cooper" and "!8" on the back and he was in fine voice throughout. Quite a few younger kids with their parents in the crowd who were loving it.
Like You, Hunter, I found Motionless in White not terrible although the singer saying "..the more beer You drink, the better We'll sound" seemed to be almost a defensive statement. My daughter loves Halestorm and they are good musicians , especially the drummer with "His great big sticks" since NH has a "Great Big Lake (winnipesaukee". I found Lizzy very engaging, but her screaming wore thin VERY quickly and all I could think of how much damage she will do to her vocal chords.
"I need everything the world owes me..."