‘Ol black eyes is back Tour

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mr.barlow

Re: ‘Ol black eyes is back Tour

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Thank God. I guess I took a few extra klonopin for nothing! :)

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:56 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:26 pm
Bed Of Nails is the GIANT turd in the whole set. Maybe he'll replace "My Stars" with the even bigger steamer "House Of Fire".
I love both of those songs, in addition to "My Stars". Just goes to show, you don't speak for everyone.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:06 am

I don't speak for everyone. I never stated that I did.

It still does not change the fact that Bed Of Nails is a turd and House Of Fire is one that fills the entire bowl!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:06 am
I don't speak for everyone. I never stated that I did.

It still does not change the fact that Bed Of Nails is a turd and House Of Fire is one that fills the entire bowl!
I think you speak for quite a few re Trash. For an album about sex it's very sterile.

I'm happy for you that My Stars is in the set.

Constrictor and RYFAY are my Trash. Saying that it might not be a bad idea to play the trilogy of chop chop chop gail and roses. That might please the metal heads.

As for the casual fans they seem to be happy enough with whatever is played. The hardcore fans not so much. It's a good indicator he doesn't need to play it safe.

I'm tired of Billion Dollar Babies and agree with however said Raped and Freezing doesn't fit in with the set.

Maybe blocks of three from an album is not a bad idea.

Sad that There's not at least two songs from Paranormal. Fireball and Genuine American Girl could go down very well with some thought out visuals.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:39 am

>>>>>>>>> *If* he's listened back to the shows and decided 'My Stars' doesn't work, for whatever reason, then I get that he would drop it. But won't be a deliberate slap to the hardcore fans. The fact it was tried out shows that he's listening and prepared to try things, but at the end of the day if he doesn't think it works in the show it will get dropped. Hardly the first time a song has only lasted a few shows.

I agree that sometimes songs don't translate well into a live performance--especially in a theatrical based show like Alice's.

HOWEVER---if Alice and the band can't make a song of the caliber and quality of "My Stars" work in any show or setting then it's time to put the mascara in the drawer and head on out to the golf course for good!

That song is one of his best---if not his best song. I agree that no one on earth can duplicate what Wagner did on that song--no one can come close. But--the band Alice has is top notch as are all of the guitarists. I'm sure they would love to put their own personal touch on it---especially the solo---if given the chance.

At any rate---I'm glad to hear that it was not dropped from the set. I wish he would play the song in it's entirety but I am thrilled to even have the shortened version!

nrc
Trash
Trash

Post by nrc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:29 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 pm
If it's true and "my stars" was dropped its a **** travesty. The one song EVERYONE was thrilled was added to the set is the song he decides to drop.
Everyone? To be honest, "Bed of Nails" got a much bigger response live in Columbus. The response to "My Stars" was fairly flat. I'm not surprised, it's a song the old diehards love, but the casual audience probably doesn't know it.

In addition, I posted three videos on YouTube.... "Roses On White Lace", "My Stars" and a video medley containing short clips of 4 or 5 other songs. The "Medley" has 758 views and 4 comments, "Roses" has 620 views and 7 comments and "My Stars" has 394 views and 0 comments.
From my spot on the lawn it appeared to go over very well. Heck, you can hear it on your own clip. They're playing a song that hasn't been played in FORTY FIVE YEARS and the fans sing the first line on cue!

The casual audience didn't know Halo of Flies before they made it a regular part of the set list. My Stars could be that kind of song if they worked it up right. There is plenty of space after the final lyric for feature bits with each guitar player and the drums and bass are epic throughout.

The way they did it in Columbus it felt like they were still working on it. Alice left the stage midway through the song, after "Turn the Sphinx into sand". This was confusing. Is he ok? Technical problems? Then one more instrumental verse and an abrupt end before they start their Devil's Food/Black Widow instrumental.

My hope is that they planned to use this as the beginning of Alice's break time because of the long instrumental finish and they just haven't worked the whole thing out yet. As much as I love it, it really doesn't flow they way they did it in Columbus.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:55 am

nrc wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:29 am
The casual audience didn't know Halo of Flies before they made it a regular part of the set list. My Stars could be that kind of song if they worked it up right. There is plenty of space after the final lyric for feature bits with each guitar player and the drums and bass are epic throughout.
This has been my argument for doing 'My Stars' for years. Use it as the mid-show band highlights/AC break the way Halo and Black Widow are used.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 am

of course it would be fine if he kept My Stars in the setlist... for the diehards. I remember on the Trash tour, when he continued with Desperado ( which was awesome to me) , people around me didn't seem to know it...
For me, I'm very glad with all the changes , stage and so on, for which we've been asking for years now...
you really wouldn't understand..

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:04 pm

I saw the Madison, WI show last night. Fantastic. I have been avoiding spoilers all this time, and I'm glad that I did. I never imagined hearing the intro "Night on Bald Mountain," but there it was! Great song selection. I was pumped to hear this band's rendition of "Escape," a pleasant surprise. "My Stars" was another welcomed surprise. He changed the straight-jacket song, and it worked. The band was superb. But, what I came here to talk about was the stage. The Nightmare Castle thing, with multi-tiers, chains, and swinging doors was perfect. Right down to the torch sconces on the wall. The light show was brilliant and colorful. I traveled over an hour to see this, and it was worth it. Go!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Now booked Paris on the strength of the reviews so far and the atmosphere from the Paranormal Live album.

Delighted to have My Stars in the set AND Bed of Nails. Surprised about Teenage Frankenstein but its good to see something from left field.

Is there a list of all the songs that have never been played live? Would be interesting to pick a setlist from that....or has that been done before?

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Bed Of Nails is the GIANT turd in the whole set. Maybe he'll replace "My Stars" with the even bigger steamer "House Of Fire". If he dropped "My Stars" (which is THE best song in his catalog) I lost a mountain of respect for Alice.

For years I've spent defending his "business" decisions to play sets that appeal to the "casual" fan as I understand the business behind it. But he finally gives his diehard fans (who by the way have supported him through the great years, the bad years and the corporate sell out years) an epic add to the set (even if it was a truncated version) and after a few shows he drops it. [EDITED]

[Edited for Language and a second post deleted for same reason. Please re-read the rules you agreed to....
I definitely respect your opinion but I also have to disagree. Bed of Nails is one of my favorite Alice songs, it is all subjective and Bed of Nails did get a much bigger response than My Stars. Here is the thing. People need to remember that different people have different eras they prefer and one is no better than the other. The best era is whatever you like. I can honestly say I like all eras of Alice but frankly the original band era probably is my least favorite. I prefer the solo stuff better.

In regards to the crowd talking before the show and during the show the buzz was on Bed of Nails (great guitar riff there) and Roses on White Lace. Not everyone was there for My Stars. In fact I have heard little mention of it among fans other than a few diehards. Here is the thing and I don't want to get into an era debate here but here is the thing. Even for those stuck in the can't get past the early or mid 70's eras (And no slam against anyone but I can't imagine being a fan of someone who you haven't liked any of their music in the past 45 years), it seems like for many of the older fans they will go nuts over the hits but the non hits even original ACG stuff, they don't know it! I remember being very surprised when a few years ago Alice played Long Way to Go and Public Animal #9 and there was very little fan reaction at all. It totally shocked me and then I realized it is basically the same thing as radio playlists. They will play the same tired songs over and over again and those of us who are true music fans get tired of the repetition. Yet program directors and casual music fans are so programmed to the hits the reason they rank them high is more based on familarity than actual quality of the song.

I know when I went and saw Steve Miller, he mainly stuck to the hits and frankly I was bored to death but when he played a couple of rare songs that was when I enjoyed it. Raped and Freezin' and My Stars are good songs but with all due respect Mr.Barlow, My Stars isn't one of the songs everybody wanted to hear. On this new tour and I love the new setlist more than any in a number of years, Roses on White Lace is the one the masses want to here.

We need to all remember that for some people Constrictor or Trash was their Love it To Death album. That is where their passion lies and that has been very apparent on this tour and that's great! With the upcoming Halestorm/Motionless in White tour songs like Bed of Nails, Teenage Frankenstein (Which also sounds great live), Roses on White Lace are going to appeal to the younger audience who are there for Halestorm or Motionless in White more than My Stars is. There is a place for both. For me personally, I wish that a lot of the early 70's songs were given a rest.Halo of Flies was never a favorite and I don't miss Ballad of Dwight Frye on this tour. I would like to see The Quiet Room replace it one year. Really the only two original group songs I would like to hear are Generation Landslide and Caught in a Dream (though I got to hear that one live during the Brutal Planet tour).

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:55 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Bed Of Nails is the GIANT turd in the whole set. Maybe he'll replace "My Stars" with the even bigger steamer "House Of Fire". If he dropped "My Stars" (which is THE best song in his catalog) I lost a mountain of respect for Alice.

For years I've spent defending his "business" decisions to play sets that appeal to the "casual" fan as I understand the business behind it. But he finally gives his diehard fans (who by the way have supported him through the great years, the bad years and the corporate sell out years) an epic add to the set (even if it was a truncated version) and after a few shows he drops it. [EDITED]

[Edited for Language and a second post deleted for same reason. Please re-read the rules you agreed to....
I definitely respect your opinion but I also have to disagree. Bed of Nails is one of my favorite Alice songs, it is all subjective and Bed of Nails did get a much bigger response than My Stars. Here is the thing. People need to remember that different people have different eras they prefer and one is no better than the other. The best era is whatever you like. I can honestly say I like all eras of Alice but frankly the original band era probably is my least favorite. I prefer the solo stuff better.

In regards to the crowd talking before the show and during the show the buzz was on Bed of Nails (great guitar riff there) and Roses on White Lace. Not everyone was there for My Stars. In fact I have heard little mention of it among fans other than a few diehards. Here is the thing and I don't want to get into an era debate here but here is the thing. Even for those stuck in the can't get past the early or mid 70's eras (And no slam against anyone but I can't imagine being a fan of someone who you haven't liked any of their music in the past 45 years), it seems like for many of the older fans they will go nuts over the hits but the non hits even original ACG stuff, they don't know it! I remember being very surprised when a few years ago Alice played Long Way to Go and Public Animal #9 and there was very little fan reaction at all. It totally shocked me and then I realized it is basically the same thing as radio playlists. They will play the same tired songs over and over again and those of us who are true music fans get tired of the repetition. Yet program directors and casual music fans are so programmed to the hits the reason they rank them high is more based on familarity than actual quality of the song.

I know when I went and saw Steve Miller, he mainly stuck to the hits and frankly I was bored to death but when he played a couple of rare songs that was when I enjoyed it. Raped and Freezin' and My Stars are good songs but with all due respect Mr.Barlow, My Stars isn't one of the songs everybody wanted to hear. On this new tour and I love the new setlist more than any in a number of years, Roses on White Lace is the one the masses want to here.

We need to all remember that for some people Constrictor or Trash was their Love it To Death album. That is where their passion lies and that has been very apparent on this tour and that's great! With the upcoming Halestorm/Motionless in White tour songs like Bed of Nails, Teenage Frankenstein (Which also sounds great live), Roses on White Lace are going to appeal to the younger audience who are there for Halestorm or Motionless in White more than My Stars is. There is a place for both. For me personally, I wish that a lot of the early 70's songs were given a rest.Halo of Flies was never a favorite and I don't miss Ballad of Dwight Frye on this tour. I would like to see The Quiet Room replace it one year. Really the only two original group songs I would like to hear are Generation Landslide and Caught in a Dream (though I got to hear that one live during the Brutal Planet tour).
:clap: :clap: :clap: Amen Cooperrocks....you are soooo correct....so many different eras with Alice and fans of all shapes and sizes gravitate towards the one they prefer...however, as someone who has been a fan since I was 5 and I am now 39, I can say that I love all eras of Alice...but my personal favorite album is Raise Your Fist and why Roses on White Lace was the supreme major highlight of this tour so far...As important as his days with the original band are considering the setlist is mainly songs a lot from that time, I am a bigger fan of his solo work....when compiling my top 5 albums, Killer is the only one from the original band that makes it...Brutal Planet, Raise Your Fist, Welcome to My Nightmare, Killer, and Welcome 2 My Nightmare are usually the ones i tend to put in my top 5 (that list is in no order btw)
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:02 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:55 pm
cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 pm
mr.barlow wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Amen Cooperrocks....you are soooo correct....so many different eras with Alice and fans of all shapes and sizes gravitate towards the one they prefer...however, as someone who has been a fan since I was 5 and I am now 39, I can say that I love all eras of Alice...but my personal favorite album is Raise Your Fist and why Roses on White Lace was the supreme major highlight of this tour so far...As important as his days with the original band are considering the setlist is mainly songs a lot from that time, I am a bigger fan of his solo work....when compiling my top 5 albums, Killer is the only one from the original band that makes it...Brutal Planet, Raise Your Fist, Welcome to My Nightmare, Killer, and Welcome 2 My Nightmare are usually the ones i tend to put in my top 5 (that list is in no order btw)
Right and hits don't always mean best. If that is the case the song "Poison" considering it is his biggest international hit is his best song. It is a good song but I think most of us would disagree with that. Popularity stems often from what radio tends to jump on for a certain period of time and also back when record labels meant something, how much "push" was given to a band. I have read others using this before in the various groups and it is a perfect example. If quality of music is solely based on sales and popularity then Britney Spears, N'Sync, and the Backstreet Boys must have the greatest albums ever. My point being is there is great music from all eras and I am glad that on this tour some great 80's songs are remembered and for some people Roses on White Lace is every bit as good of a song and significant as Eighteen is for others. There is a place for all of it and most people seem thrilled that the setlist is covering more eras.

mkayers
Trash
Trash

Post by mkayers » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Halo of Flies was awesome the first few tours we heard it, I'm sick of it kind of now too. Quiet Room would be amazing!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm

mkayers wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 pm
Halo of Flies was awesome the first few tours we heard it, I'm sick of it kind of now too.
I'd agree with that. It still sounds great, but its been played so much now it's not not the highlight it was a decade or more ago. And I don`t think I feel that just because I've been lucky to see it played many times more then most having been to so any shows!
Same with several other classics.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:35 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:02 pm
My point being is there is great music from all eras and I am glad that on this tour some great 80's songs are remembered and for some people Roses on White Lace is every bit as good of a song and significant as Eighteen is for others.
No. I agree with much of what you said but 'I'm Eighteen' is significant because it was the FIRST big Alice Cooper hit, and the song that got the band mainstream recognition. Before that song few had heard of them. After that many many more knew who they were. It was there breakthrough record and in some ways it was the beginning of everything that followed.
'Roses', as great as it is, can't really compete with that on any level, even if you prefer it as a song. It has no cultural resonance in the way Eighteen does, and that is why Eighteen has been played at almost every show for around 50 years while Roses has only been played on one tour before now.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:04 pm
I saw the Madison, WI show last night. Fantastic.
I was there, too! Hometown shows rock!!
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Si wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:35 pm
cooperrocks wrote:
My point being is there is great music from all eras and I am glad that on this tour some great 80's songs are remembered and for some people Roses on White Lace is every bit as good of a song and significant as Eighteen is for others.
No. I agree with much of what you said but 'I'm Eighteen' is significant because it was the FIRST big Alice Cooper hit, and the song that got the band mainstream recognition. Before that song few had heard of them. After that many many more knew who they were. It was there breakthrough record and in some ways it was the beginning of everything that followed.
'Roses', as great as it is, can't really compete with that on any level, even if you prefer it as a song. It has no cultural resonance in the way Eighteen does, and that is why Eighteen has been played at almost every show for around 50 years while Roses has only been played on one tour before now.
I agree culturally with that and it was a hit. I get it being played and School's Out and Poison. I completely get those they were huge songs but what I am saying is not every fan especially those that are younger has the same emotion for that or the 70's stuff. Some people feel that way about other songs with the same passion but I do get your point. I just think once you get past that though you can switch most of the other songs around. I have no issue with Eighteen being in the set every year, I am just saying I personally could go for a while without hearing it or School's Out. It is the rare tunes that I get excited about. Roses fired me up more than any song he has added to the setlist in years and hearing Nita Strauss jam on those songs is amazing as well. I love her playing style and what she brings every night.

marko10174
Trash
Trash

Post by marko10174 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:53 pm

This year will be my first ever AC gig. I was first introduced to him through "Trash" when it first came out (I was 9)and I instantly fell in love with it, I still consider it my favourite album of all time. I'm a real 80's glam/hair metal guy, Ratt, Motley crue, Bonjovi, whitesnake, Winger, Def Leppard, Skidrow... so you can imagine how much I love Trash and Hey stoopid, and after that Constrictor and RYFAY come second. There are a lot of other AC songs that I like, but none of his other albums even come close to how much I like his glam metal days. Honestly, the whole 70's AC tends to bore me to tears, with the exception of the big hits like school's out, NMMNG, Billion dollar babies 18 and Dwight fry. So yeah, it is all subjective. One person may listen to house of fire and roll their eyes (where as I would be doing cartwheels if he played it live), where as I listen to halo of flies and I'm looking at the timer on youtube to see how long is left of the song because I'm that bored.

I am really buzzed for this tour though, I think there is enough songs from all of AC's era's to please everyone. I'm lucky this year as well, because looking at previous tours he barely seems to touch on his glam metal years, except for Poison and FMF.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:14 am

Si wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:35 pm
cooperrocks wrote:
"Eighteen" as a coming of age song should live on after all of us have gone! That's if "Classic Rock" still has a niche. :rock: Bringing back "Roses" is great but, Si is correct. :teach:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...