Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

Post by Si » Mon May 02, 2016 10:23 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: I seem to recall the last time "Serious" was attempted it either didn't make the show or if it did, it was dropped after a show or two.
It did make the show but was dropped pretty quickly which was a shame as it sounded really good.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Mon May 02, 2016 10:36 pm

I doubt there will be a new show, not until next year :/

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon May 02, 2016 10:40 pm

I was initially disappointed at no proper UK shows, having seen the setlist. I am not sad any longer.
"the spend your night with alice cooper tour" - spend the night with alice and listen to him do loads of covers! When will these horrible covers leave his set!?!
Maybe next year......

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Mon May 02, 2016 11:20 pm

ThePainAddict wrote:
I agree with Remarkably Insincere, I would take any Alice songs over the covers. The most bland ballads, or even No More Love at Your Convenience. Hell, I'd even take Always Chasing Rainbows or Ubangi Stomp as cover over these HV songs.

Pitkin88 wrote:
Ubangi Stomp is a cover though.

Yes, so is Always Chasing Rainbows. That was my point, I would even take them over the HV covers (i.e. songs from Alice's contemporaries, not mention they are played in perfunctory manner)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:47 pm

Si wrote:
RemarkablyInsincere wrote: I seem to recall the last time "Serious" was attempted it either didn't make the show or if it did, it was dropped after a show or two.
It did make the show but was dropped pretty quickly which was a shame as it sounded really good.

At the risk of making someone cry with my negativity, I felt the inclusion of this song felt out of place with the show. Can't remember if I was at that tour or saw it on dvd but it didn't work.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:50 pm

I am wondering if there is some kind of mass hysteria going on here with all the crying and threatening not to come back over the covers. You'd think with three guitarists they'd sound awesome.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:09 am

One of the sad few here has certainly changed his tune (pun intended)

After living with this album for a week, I have to say over all I like it a lot.

The two new tracks are really average, while I enjoy the covers quite a bit.

Would have thought he would be loving the covers live.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 03, 2016 12:10 am

pitkin88 wrote: At the risk of making someone cry with my negativity, I felt the inclusion of this song felt out of place with the show. Can't remember if I was at that tour or saw it on dvd but it didn't work.
It was only played eight times (4 Euro/4 US) at the start of the Bare Bones Tour so likely you didn`t see it live unless you traveled.
It's not been on any official DVD's from that tour, maybe some bootleg footage but I don`t recall any.

Personally I did see three of those shows and thought it sounded fantastic, a real highlight in the show. However I think I heard it was dropped mainly because it was hard to sing live, as I think someone said earlier.
It was kinda replaced by various tracks (in rotation) from the as yet unreleased 'Eyes' album although they were played in the encore and not early in the set where 'Serious' normally was.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Tue May 03, 2016 12:11 am

I actually agree with Pitkin on the inclusion of Serious. If we are referring to the Bare Bones tour, it did feel out of place at the end of the main set between Dwight Fry and School's Out.

I feel like the covers were fine as a way to honor musicians that played a part in his life as well as promoting the HV album before it came out and started doing shows under the name. And yes, the band does a good job playing them, but I feel like it has run it's course and fills space up that could be used on his original material especially considering that he is also going to be touring the Vampires also.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 03, 2016 12:28 am

guttertrash wrote:I actually agree with Pitkin on the inclusion of Serious. If we are referring to the Bare Bones tour, it did feel out of place at the end of the main set between Dwight Fry and School's Out.
YEs I could understand that. It was only payed in the slot on that one show. Normally it was in the first third of the show.
guttertrash wrote: I feel like the covers were fine as a way to honor musicians that played a part in his life as well as promoting the HV album before it came out and started doing shows under the name. And yes, the band does a good job playing them, but I feel like it has run it's course and fills space up that could be used on his original material especially considering that he is also going to be touring the Vampires also.
Exactly.

Also I wonder if the Vampires will be using Alice's stage and crew. I would think that would make sense as the HV shows are in between normal AC shows. I don't know. They could be sharing that backdrop and using it in both shows!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:41 am

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: At the risk of making someone cry with my negativity, I felt the inclusion of this song felt out of place with the show. Can't remember if I was at that tour or saw it on dvd but it didn't work.
It was only played eight times (4 Euro/4 US) at the start of the Bare Bones Tour so likely you didn`t see it live unless you traveled.
It's not been on any official DVD's from that tour, maybe some bootleg footage but I don`t recall any.

Personally I did see three of those shows and thought it sounded fantastic, a real highlight in the show. However I think I heard it was dropped mainly because it was hard to sing live, as I think someone said earlier.
It was kinda replaced by various tracks (in rotation) from the as yet unreleased 'Eyes' album although they were played in the encore and not early in the set where 'Serious' normally was.
I was at this show in San Diego County so i did get to hear it!!

27th June 2003 - Del Mar, CA / Del Mar Fairgrounds
Setlist: Hello Hooray / No More Mr. Nice Guy / Billion Dollar Babies / Long Way To Go / Public Animal #9 / Be My Lover / Lost In America / Desperado / Serious / Clones (We're All) / It's The Little Things / Gimme / Halo Of Flies / Welcome To My Nightmare / Cold Ethyl / Guilty / School's Out / Poison / I'm Eighteen / Elected / Under My Wheels
Notes: Replaced Meat Loaf at the festival due to a cancellation.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue May 03, 2016 7:00 am

i can't believe Roses would be added, as i've mentioned before i'm positive Alice has said he would never do songs of this topic live again.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 03, 2016 9:02 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote:

I was at this show in San Diego County so i did get to hear it!!
Fair enough.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Tue May 03, 2016 12:21 pm

Having read the setlist, a couple of reviews and watched a youtube video of the covers section I wanted to give my take on everything.

First things first, I'm a mad Alice Cooper fan (like most of you are) and I would pay to see Alice Cooper perform nursery rhymes. As entertainers and front men go he is the master in my eyes.

I think the reaction to the new setlist has been very negative (and I'm not surprised). Last year it was a fresh idea for the covers part to be added and it was a fresh idea that worked to a certain extent with Alice raising the dead.

I'd like to make the point that when going to London mid June I will be stoked to here Public Animal #9 and Long Way To Go in particular. As the rest of the setlist goes it does sadden me that we haven't had a completely new revamped set and feel that it feels very similar to that of last year.

The excitement of a new show normally means a new entrance, intro, new outfits, new songs, old songs we haven't heard for a while.
I just get the feeling there has been a lot of issues with time preparing a new show and don't feel it's been properly thought out as it has been in the past. The reason for this is probably due to the extra workload with Hollywood Vampires very much being brought to the fore.

I've got nothing against Alice playing covers, the only issue I've got is that when he does play them it feels as though he comes out of character for ten-fifteen minutes and doesn't actually look comfortable singing the songs and quite often sings out of key and struggles to hit the right notes that other artists can.
If Alice enjoys this then that's his decision but as it as been mentioned I don't think the casual fan actually cares much for this either. I'd also be very surprised if somebody like Ryan Roxie hasn't questioned the inclusion of the covers again as he holds a lot of talks with the fans.

I'd love to see Alice produce an album and go with four to five tracks off it as was the case with the Dragontown and Brutal Planet tour with a couple of gems thrown in for good measure.

I feel as though this new show is going to feel very stale, very quickly. Maybe Alice just wants to play the songs he knows he can nail and doesn't want to go too far into the unknown realms with regards to relearning lyrics for songs he hasn't played for several years.

Maybe I'm being too critical of a man who has earned the right to do what he wants and a man who has spoilt his fans by the amount of tours he has done over the years but whilst I know I'll enjoy the show at the O2 I can't help but think I'll be watching it thinking it's very similar to the Raise The Dead Tour and I can't recall that ever being the case with two different Alice shows.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue May 03, 2016 12:53 pm

Last year it was a fresh idea for the covers part to be added and it was a fresh idea that worked to a certain extent with Alice raising the dead.

They were brought in at the end of 2012 though.

> I'll be watching it thinking it's very similar to the Raise The Dead Tour and I can't recall that ever being the case with two different Alice shows.

I think the "Brutal Planet" and "Dragontown" shows were pretty similar (in terms of the visual presentation) if I remember correctly.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:52 pm

You would think I would know the answer to this considering how many shows of Alice I have been to but I know it depends a lot on the venue/setup, but does anyone if for this tour, the merchandise vendors are taking cash only or debit/credit too?
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue May 03, 2016 3:09 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:You would think I would know the answer to this considering how many shows of Alice I have been to but I know it depends a lot on the venue/setup, but does anyone if for this tour, the merchandise vendors are taking cash only or debit/credit too?
Debit/credit, too, though the processing system is in California, so be aware of that. My daughter's transaction was rejected by her bank because of that (it looked like fraud, since the swipe appeared to happen in California). YMMV. (She ended up going to the ATM to get cash. En route to that, she received email from her bank asking if the transaction was legit.)

Hunter

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Tue May 03, 2016 4:34 pm

Difference between Brutal/dragon tour and Raise/Spend the tour is that, Dragontown was not a strpped down Brutal Planet, they added many things, new songs and old song, This new tour feels like a stripped down Raise the Dead that doesn't quite hit the note of the last tour (and it wasn't that high note, though)

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue May 03, 2016 10:28 pm

bigbradwolf wrote:I just get the feeling there has been a lot of issues with time preparing a new show and don't feel it's been properly thought out as it has been in the past. The reason for this is probably due to the extra workload with Hollywood Vampires very much being brought to the fore.
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. The time, effort and money could very well be being spent on the HV show this year rather than a revamp of the Alice Cooper show.

Even though most of us expected we'd see a new show after 3 years of essentially the same thing since it's long overdue especially by Alice's standards.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

bigbradwolf wrote:
I'd like to make the point that when going to London mid June I will be stoked to here Public Animal #9 and Long Way To Go in particular. As the rest of the setlist goes it does sadden me that we haven't had a completely new revamped set and feel that it feels very similar to that of last year.
Ryan mentioned last night that "Long Way To Go" is in what they are looking at as a "Fan Favorite" spot. They are/have been practicing other songs, and that slot may get swapped around from night to night with different songs.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!