Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:13 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:I have to admit that I wasn't holding my breath about the new show, so this sadly does not come as a surprise. It seems barely believable that the covers are still knocking around nearly 4 YEARS on.

I keep racking my brain about why such a celebrated artist would want to continually play other people's music. And all I can arrive at is that someone influential has said "play covers and play the hits or you're finished as a touring artist".

I would still see him if he comes to the UK, and have no doubt he'd smash it as always, but this comes across as a sad way to spend ones final years.

Well Si and Amuck having argued that he would be finished live if he didnt play the hits. They believe he has to at this stage in his career. They habe also mentioned the covers go down really well with the crowd and night after night he puts on a great show.
I can only go on my own experience of attending shows (sometimes at the front, sometimes near the back or in a balcony). I would say the covers have had a mediocre response, which in fairness might be better than an obscure song.

The big red flag for me is that with the way Alice generally presents himself (e.g. an alter-ego, almost mythical, character) why on earth would he want to break into a cover of someone else's songs?

Maybe the charcters soul is taken over by the spirits of the dead and he is compelled to do so.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon May 02, 2016 3:16 pm

pitkin88 wrote: Well Si and Amuck having argued that he would be finished live if he didnt play the hits. They believe he has to at this stage in his career. They habe also mentioned the covers go down really well with the crowd and night after night he puts on a great show.
You need to read and understand what is actually said, not make things up to suit yourself.
We haven`t said he is "finished" if he doesn`t play the hits, but that people expect to hear them and would be dissapointed if they weren`t played.

Nor have we said he HAS to play them but see above

We have both said that in the US the covers seem to go down better then in the UK, but others have thought differently.

And yes, regardless of the covers he puts on a great show.

Was there a point to your post?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon May 02, 2016 3:18 pm

pitkin88 wrote: Maybe the charcters soul is taken over by the spirits of the dead and he is compelled to do so.
That`s actually as good a storyline as any haha

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: Well Si and Amuck having argued that he would be finished live if he didnt play the hits. They believe he has to at this stage in his career. They habe also mentioned the covers go down really well with the crowd and night after night he puts on a great show.
You need to read and understand what is actually said, not make things up to suit yourself.
We haven`t said he is "finished" if he doesn`t play the hits, but that people expect to hear them and would be dissapointed if they weren`t played.

Nor have we said he HAS to play them but see above

We have both said that in the US the covers seem to go down better then in the UK, but others have thought differently.

And yes, regardless of the covers he puts on a great show.

Was there a point to your post?

Disappointed? As always nice spin.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon May 02, 2016 4:11 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote: We haven`t said he is "finished" if he doesn`t play the hits, but that people expect to hear them and would be dissapointed if they weren`t played.
And again you are reduced to talking rubbish just to argue. Sad.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote: We haven`t said he is "finished" if he doesn`t play the hits, but that people expect to hear them and would be dissapointed if they weren`t played.
And again you are reduced to talking rubbish just to argue. Sad.

Seriously you are deluded.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon May 02, 2016 4:22 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
And insults :clap:

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:
And insults :clap:
Oh come on!!

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon May 02, 2016 6:23 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:I have to admit that I wasn't holding my breath about the new show, so this sadly does not come as a surprise. It seems barely believable that the covers are still knocking around nearly 4 YEARS on.

I keep racking my brain about why such a celebrated artist would want to continually play other people's music. And all I can arrive at is that someone influential has said "play covers and play the hits or you're finished as a touring artist".

I would still see him if he comes to the UK, and have no doubt he'd smash it as always, but this comes across as a sad way to spend ones final years.
I think you hit on something here I haven't considered before and maybe this is why I am genuinely grieved over this. I have always respected Alice not just as, in my opinion the greatest theatrical rocker of all time but also as a person. I love all the charity work he does, how good he is to fans, how much of a family man he is, and though we aren't allowed to discuss it here much, I hope no one is offended when I say as a person of faith, I love that he is a Christian as well.

So, and it pains me to say this, but I just realized what is bothering me. I am beginning to not trust the Cooper camp and that hurts me a lot. I realize sometimes money and size of venue is an issue but every year we hear about a different show, support for newer albums like Welcome 2 My Nightmare that went from talk of a show that contained one third of the show being hits, one-third being the original show played, and one-third of the show being centered around W2MN. Okay, it wasn't financially feasible to do something so big, but instead not only did nothing close to that happen but very few songs were even added to the set and that isn't the first time that happened.I don't blame Alice for all of it, I hear Shep makes a lot of decisions too and so on, but you run into a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation eventually and even the most loyal of people can drift away when they feel they aren't being told the truth. We were told this was a new show but let's face it, it is not. A csurprise costume colors and different covers being played isn't a new show and most of the songs added have been heard in recent years. Long Way To Go is the only real surprise and the fact that nothing from the last 25 years is depressing in my view.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:32 pm

As much as I dislike the covers section, remember, Alice has only played 1 night, maybe he will drop 2 or 3 of them and put more of his songs in that he has rehearsed, maybe even one that will surprise us all.

My Stars Si?

You can hope.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:07 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:As much as I dislike the covers section, remember, Alice has only played 1 night, maybe he will drop 2 or 3 of them and put more of his songs in that he has rehearsed, maybe even one that will surprise us all.

My Stars Si?

You can hope.
Well I had heard through the grapevine that they did some very rare and cool songs during the rehearsal...not sure if its legitimate or not but if they were, it would be a dream come true!

Not sure I am allowed to post them so I will hold off in doing so just in case cause I don't want to cause any problems if it is true.
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:30 pm

AlongCameASpider27 wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:As much as I dislike the covers section, remember, Alice has only played 1 night, maybe he will drop 2 or 3 of them and put more of his songs in that he has rehearsed, maybe even one that will surprise us all.

My Stars Si?

You can hope.
Well I had heard through the grapevine that they did some very rare and cool songs during the rehearsal...not sure if its legitimate or not but if they were, it would be a dream come true!

Not sure I am allowed to post them so I will hold off in doing so just in case cause I don't want to cause any problems if it is true.

Post away. It's not like this is wiki leaks or whatever.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:52 pm

Well this person had said they did: Serious, Roses on White Lace, Might as Well Be on Mars, and Luney Tune. Again, it would be a dream come true for the last 3 especially...as I said, I am not one to usually buy into gossip like this, but lets be honest, those songs would be awesome in this show...so all readers on this site, please just take it with a grain of salt for now.
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Mon May 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Ufff if those were added, the show will get a serious upgrade. That'd be worth seeing

(Though, I still consider kind of sad that this show has no "storyline" theatrical point of view, etc, I don't know how to put it :/ )

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon May 02, 2016 8:41 pm

It would be great if all those songs were added, but I seem to recall the last time "Serious" was attempted it either didn't make the show or if it did, it was dropped after a show or two. I believe it was Roxie who said when asked why it was dropped: "It fried our singer's voice."

I'd love to hear all of those songs though. Just drop those gosh darn covers, plug these in and we're all pretty happy campers, right?
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon May 02, 2016 9:10 pm

I would love it. Even if weren't all four songs, two would be great especially Roses and Might As Well Be on Mars.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Mon May 02, 2016 9:12 pm

If they add any songs over the covers, it would be great news, but why would they rehearse and add four new covers to the set and also create a backdrop this time around for the covers section only to drop them? Sadly I just don't see this leaving during this tour...I would love to be wrong about it however.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon May 02, 2016 9:37 pm

guttertrash wrote:If they add any songs over the covers, it would be great news, but why would they rehearse and add four new covers to the set and also create a backdrop this time around for the covers section only to drop them? Sadly I just don't see this leaving during this tour...I would love to be wrong about it however.
Yep, they're probably staying.

I'd love to hear the logic of playing these songs, though... anything beyond "because Alice wants to" is horse doodoo.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Mon May 02, 2016 10:06 pm

That about "frying our singer's voice" I do recall it.... well and it is true, it's difficult to sing that one....

I do believe that Alice should/could do what many other artists do... Take a song and change its rythm/sound/vibe/whatever completely...

Examples.... In a simple way, Black Sabbath with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in the Reunion album
or a little more "extreme" Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" from the 90's

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Mon May 02, 2016 10:19 pm

I'm wondering if this is just a way to breath life into an old show that will last up until winter. New material is reportedly in the works and perhaps it's sparked ideas for a new show with a different presentation.

This way, the current show as it stands is just different enough to not be stale to perform, but familiar enough to stop and pack up for a new one when the timing is ready.