Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

Post by Si » Sun May 01, 2016 2:38 pm

suziginajackson wrote:Was David Bowie a member of the 'Hollywood Vampires' club, or is his song being included just as a tribute?
Just a tribute. Bowie doesn`t really meet any of the criteria the HV project is based on ie Hard drinker/druggy who died from excess and was a member of the original Vampires.
But then Hendrix died before the original Vampires existed so the rules seem pretty lose haha

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:43 pm

And still doing Another Brick In The Wall i see, why o why Alice? You can do better than this.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun May 01, 2016 4:40 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:And still doing Another Brick In The Wall i see, why o why Alice? You can do better than this.
Too ba fair, I don`t mind that. Its just a bit of fun and audience participation. 60 seconds of a cover isn`t an issue.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sun May 01, 2016 5:06 pm

I agree with Remarkably Insincere, I would take any Alice songs over the covers. The most bland ballads, or even No More Love at Your Convenience. Hell, I'd even take Always Chasing Rainbows or Ubangi Stomp as cover over these HV songs.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sun May 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Against of the covers but in favour of Another Brick in the Wall... Why?

Because to me, that's a punch into history's face where the figure of Roger Waters gets acclaimed as a musical demigod for the Wall.... I've always thought that Another Brick in the Wall was a darker school's Out.... I was the happiest man on earth when they merged both songs and it didn't sound odd hahaha

PS:

Alice Cooper Camp MUST rethink the tour and their expectatives.... No music from the last 24 Years.... The Last Temptation is one of his greatest albums (and there is more than Lost in AMerica), Brutal Planet was a transgressor album, something different (But he has played Brutal Panet and Wicked Young Man, ok with that) Eyes and Diamonds are pure rock n roll with great songs (Not only Dirty Diamonds...) Along Came a Spider doesn't have that much love from fans but with one song you can follow quite a story for a show, and W2MN did excellent, and has greats songs.... What's wrong with all these albums in the eyes of The Coop!

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun May 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:Against of the covers but in favour of Another Brick in the Wall... Why?

Because to me, that's a punch into history's face where the figure of Roger Waters gets acclaimed as a musical demigod for the Wall.... I've always thought that Another Brick in the Wall was a darker school's Out.... I was the happiest man on earth when they merged both songs and it didn't sound odd hahaha
The studio versions of both songs were also produced by Bob Ezrin, which is one reason Alice started doing it on the NMMNG Tour (for which Bob served as musical director).

Hunter

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun May 01, 2016 6:55 pm

From Spiner202:
"That doesn't make it a good choice. He puts out two albums, including a redux of one of his most popular and he barely supports them."

It still had nothing to do with "the timing" though - that's all I'm saying and as I said, you don't need to play an album live to support it. That used to be the case but no longer is.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun May 01, 2016 7:04 pm

From pitkin88:
"So now the casuals probably don't care?"

Explain why some shows on this tour are already sold out then. On the one hand, you imply it is an issue for the "casual" audience, but on the other, you state that "Alice seems to be doing what is right for his continued success. He would be foolish to do anything else." Which is it?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun May 01, 2016 7:22 pm

From pitkin88:
"He obviously doesnt think so. He can be pretty clueless."

No. He is doing what he wants to do and appears to be having fun while doing it. As you've already admitted, we don't have to like it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:40 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"So now the casuals probably don't care?"

Explain why some shows on this tour are already sold out then. On the one hand, you imply it is an issue for the "casual" audience, but on the other, you state that "Alice seems to be doing what is right for his continued success. He would be foolish to do anything else." Which is it?

It's a bit like the nature v nurture debate hard to put a percentage on it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:41 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"He obviously doesnt think so. He can be pretty clueless."

No. He is doing what he wants to do and appears to be having fun while doing it. As you've already admitted, we don't have to like it.

So you wont be throwing one of your major tantrums then?

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sun May 01, 2016 7:41 pm

I know a few people who are going later in the tour who saw the setlist and were happy that it was heavy on the earlier material. They hadn't been since the WTMN tour, because they didn't like the slicker direction, and I don't think Alice played close by on The FTF tour which they all said they liked. They just wished those four cover tracks were gone and replaced with some more ACG tracks such as Be My Lover, Caught In A Dream, Gutter Cats, and Dead Babies, but that the show otherwise was what they had all been hoping to see for a long time. They also cringed at Poison and Frankenstein, but they knew that they would be in there.
Last edited by guttertrash on Sun May 01, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:43 pm

ThePainAddict wrote:I agree with Remarkably Insincere, I would take any Alice songs over the covers. The most bland ballads, or even No More Love at Your Convenience. Hell, I'd even take Always Chasing Rainbows or Ubangi Stomp as cover over these HV songs.

Ubangi Stomp is a cover though.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:04 pm

guttertrash wrote:I know a few people who are going later in the tour who saw the setlist and were happy that it was heavy on the earlier material. They hadn't been since the WTMN tour, because they didn't like the slicker direction, and I don't think Alice played close by on The FTF tour which they all said they liked. They just wished those four cover tracks were gone and replaced with some more ACG tracks such as Be My Lover, Caught In A Dream, Gutter Cats, and Dead Babies, but that the show otherwise was what they had all been hoping to see for a long time. They also cringed at Poison and Frankenstein, but they knew that they would be in there.

how rambling was this post before you edited it twice?

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon May 02, 2016 10:12 am

I have to admit that I wasn't holding my breath about the new show, so this sadly does not come as a surprise. It seems barely believable that the covers are still knocking around nearly 4 YEARS on.

I keep racking my brain about why such a celebrated artist would want to continually play other people's music. And all I can arrive at is that someone influential has said "play covers and play the hits or you're finished as a touring artist".

I would still see him if he comes to the UK, and have no doubt he'd smash it as always, but this comes across as a sad way to spend ones final years.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon May 02, 2016 11:50 am

well, it's nice to see some oldies in the list, but 4 covers, especially 4 i couldn't give a damn about, means any interest i had in this tour has hit the zero mark. unless we hear there's been a shake-up [and i doubt we will] my money's staying in my pocket this year.
been a fan since 1986 and i never thought the day would come that i would miss a tour out of choice. very sad ::((:
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:29 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:I have to admit that I wasn't holding my breath about the new show, so this sadly does not come as a surprise. It seems barely believable that the covers are still knocking around nearly 4 YEARS on.

I keep racking my brain about why such a celebrated artist would want to continually play other people's music. And all I can arrive at is that someone influential has said "play covers and play the hits or you're finished as a touring artist".

I would still see him if he comes to the UK, and have no doubt he'd smash it as always, but this comes across as a sad way to spend ones final years.

Well Si and Amuck having argued that he would be finished live if he didnt play the hits. They believe he has to at this stage in his career. They habe also mentioned the covers go down really well with the crowd and night after night he puts on a great show.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon May 02, 2016 2:42 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:I have to admit that I wasn't holding my breath about the new show, so this sadly does not come as a surprise. It seems barely believable that the covers are still knocking around nearly 4 YEARS on.

Well Si and Amuck having argued that he would be finished live if he didnt play the hits. They believe he has to at this stage in his career. They habe also mentioned the covers go down really well with the crowd and night after night he puts on a great show.
I can only go on my own experience of attending shows (sometimes at the front, sometimes near the back or in a balcony). I would say the covers have had a mediocre response, which in fairness might be better than an obscure song.

The big red flag for me is that with the way Alice generally presents himself (e.g. an alter-ego, almost mythical, character) why on earth would he want to break into a cover of someone else's songs?
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon May 02, 2016 2:58 pm

From pitkin88:
"It's a bit like the nature v nurture debate hard to put a percentage on it."

I agree but, as someone who proudly does not go to the shows, you would have a better and more credible feel for the situation if you did. The market will, almost always, decide.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon May 02, 2016 2:59 pm

From pitkin88:
"So you wont be throwing one of your major tantrums then?"

I already have but it isn't my name on the tickets and the advertising.