Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:49 pm

There is a way to ask Alice in a polite way. I would say something like good set, but was hoping for some more rare gems , and what is the main reason for the continued covers section?

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:56 pm

I'd really love to know what newer bands are out there worth seeing that don't stick to a setlist that the majority of the concert-goers will know. Yes, some bands throw a deep cut or two in for the initiated, but at the end of the day, everybody bends to the will of the masses. I don't expect Alice to play a set much different than this one. The covers take up space that could be used on his own songs and maybe one or two cuts for the long-term devotees, but 90% of his show should be devoted to covering the standards.

There maybe some newer bands with more fire and determination, but I work in a music venue, and I don't see many newer bands that impress me, and I can definitely tell you that there are very few rock n' roll bands out there worth seeing live. If you like the Disturbed's and Rob Zombies's of the world, great, but they are devoting 90% of their show to the standards also, and they are not any better day in and day out as Alice and his band, and I personally hate any of the more mainstream rock bands, because it isn't rock n' roll. While disappointed by elements of the setlist, all I can say is that As long as Alice is within 5 hours of me, I am going to make it to a show each tour.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 pm

Considering some of the things that have/haven't happened over the past few years - no W2MN show; no 'proper' ACG reunion; three years flogging RTD; two years of Motley Crue; the grand conceit of Hollywood Vampires; covers galore...... - then a predictably yawnsome setlist is just par for the course.

Anyway, isn't this all Groundhog Day? At the start of the RTD tour, in Cardiff, there was a similar uproar, with even Shep Gordon issuing a message to fans saying Alice and crew were 'listening'. Well, so much for that.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:17 pm

That's why Iron Maiden are one of the best, new tour, new stage show and a set dedicated to there latest album 6 songs played from it, with 2 songs they dont play every tour and 8 classics casual fans love, perfect balance.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:28 pm

After three years of the same show, it's impossible to view another show with four cover songs as anything but majorly disappointing and the definition of mailing it in at this stage of the game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:That's why Iron Maiden are one of the best, new tour, new stage show and a set dedicated to there latest album 6 songs played from it, with 2 songs they dont play every tour and 8 classics casual fans love, perfect balance.
The previous Maiden tour was merely hits, and they also only come through any given area about once every three or four years unlike Alice who plays a lot of the same cities every year or year and a half. Iron Maiden also plays less extensive tours, so people eat up the chance to go see them no matter what somgs they are going to play.

At the same time, Alice had quite a few songs from Eyes in the Bare Bones tour. He had three from Dirty Diamonds once it was released. Two appeared from ACAS, and we really didn't need those much less a whole show wrapped around that album. The only album he has released since Brutal Planet and Dragontown (those tours definitely saw Alice playing a lot of new songs) that deserved an extensive tour was W2MN, but timing screwed that up due to the Motley Crue tour which I am sure was a great business decision. So I don't really see how the Alice and Maiden are all that comparable.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:52 pm

I don't like to get into arguments online but first let me say Concolz and Pitkin, you have made abundantly clear for years you aren't Alice fans. The early 70's have been over for over 40 years. I am not trying to insult you personally but constructive criticism is one thing but your constant attacks are ridiculous. If you aren't a fan that is your right, but why post on a site about an artist you don't care for. I apologize everyone else but I had to get that off my chest.

Now back to the initial discussion. I hated the covers section four years ago and heard more complaints from others than any other Alice tour. Does Alice's assistant and management check this site? I thought they occasionally did but I may be wrong. The bottom line is those of us who own every Alice album and see him on a regular basis hate the cover section. The current setlist is fine IF you drop the covers and use that time for four rarely heard tunes instead. If you kept these same songs but added one more from the 70's, one from the early 80's, something like Freedom and then one modern Alice song, wouldn't most of us be pleased? Instead and I have been an Alice diehard for years and know plenty of others but we are starting to get fed up. I personally went from being fired up about this tour and planning to see multiple shows to now thinking one is plenty. I have never had that happen before.

Sorry this is so long, but in conclusion at least the last RTD Tour contained a few new songs and stuff like House of Fire and Hey Stoopid to interest me. This one doesn't have any of that. I do think, for what is worth, that as true Alice fans we do need to have the guts to tell the parties that be that the fans aren't happy. Just my two cents and nothing personal Concolz and Pitkin.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:53 pm

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:That's why Iron Maiden are one of the best, new tour, new stage show and a set dedicated to there latest album 6 songs played from it, with 2 songs they dont play every tour and 8 classics casual fans love, perfect balance.
Not only that, but those 6 songs include a 13-minute song and a 10-minute song. I'm really disappointed I had to miss Maiden this time around. They came the day before I had 4 exams across 4 days. I've only seen them once, which was on the 2012 tour, and that was the only tour since 1982 that they didn't played Hallowed Be Thy Name, which is my all-time favourite song from any band. I heard they'll be back in the Summer of 2017, so hopefully I'll see them then!

I will say though, your reaction is not consistent with much of the metal community. I rarely hear anybody happy about the fact that they play so much new stuff, instead preferring the tours where they only play classic stuff.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun May 01, 2016 12:02 am

Spiner202 wrote:
Not only that, but those 6 songs include a 13-minute song and a 10-minute song. I'm really disappointed I had to miss Maiden this time around. They came the day before I had 4 exams across 4 days. I've only seen them once, which was on the 2012 tour, and that was the only tour since 1982 that they didn't played Hallowed Be Thy Name, which is my all-time favourite song from any band. I heard they'll be back in the Summer of 2017, so hopefully I'll see them then!

I will say though, your reaction is not consistent with much of the metal community. I rarely hear anybody happy about the fact that they play so much new stuff, instead preferring the tours where they only play classic stuff.

But one key thing Bruce said at the gig I attended was "with the kind of band we are, we will play most of the new album even if you didn't like it' sums up how proud they are of the newer material, just wish Alice backed his new stuff in the same manner.

And the fact that Alice does always tour year in year out in my opinion that's what makes his sets stale, coming to the same city every 12 months or so with a similar set,

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun May 01, 2016 12:06 am

cooperrocks wrote:I don't like to get into arguments online but first let me say Concolz and Pitkin, you have made abundantly clear for years you aren't Alice fans. The early 70's have been over for over 40 years. I am not trying to insult you personally but constructive criticism is one thing but your constant attacks are ridiculous. If you aren't a fan that is your right, but why post on a site about an artist you don't care for. I apologize everyone else but I had to get that off my chest.

Now back to the initial discussion. I hated the covers section four years ago and heard more complaints from others than any other Alice tour. Does Alice's assistant and management check this site? I thought they occasionally did but I may be wrong. The bottom line is those of us who own every Alice album and see him on a regular basis hate the cover section. The current setlist is fine IF you drop the covers and use that time for four rarely heard tunes instead. If you kept these same songs but added one more from the 70's, one from the early 80's, something like Freedom and then one modern Alice song, wouldn't most of us be pleased? Instead and I have been an Alice diehard for years and know plenty of others but we are starting to get fed up. I personally went from being fired up about this tour and planning to see multiple shows to now thinking one is plenty. I have never had that happen before.

Sorry this is so long, but in conclusion at least the last RTD Tour contained a few new songs and stuff like House of Fire and Hey Stoopid to interest me. This one doesn't have any of that. I do think, for what is worth, that as true Alice fans we do need to have the guts to tell the parties that be that the fans aren't happy. Just my two cents and nothing personal Concolz and Pitkin.

I feel the same, was ready to see multiple shows this US run, but now i'm glad I only have a ticket for one show reading that set list.

The set isn't that bad, and dropping the 4 covers for some real classic gems would make it so much better and that's an understatement.

26 albums, close to 50 years in the industry with so many songs that could be dusted off and you resort to 2 straight tours with a covers section????

Save that for the Hollywood Vampires buddy.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun May 01, 2016 12:07 am

cooperrocks wrote:The current setlist is fine IF you drop the covers and use that time for four rarely heard tunes instead.
I'm not even asking for that much... just get rid of the covers and do something novel like play actual Alice Cooper songs. Play a bunch of hits, I don't care. At least I'll be seeing songs by the artist I'm coming to see.

Again, in light of the HV project, there's simply no reason to shove more covers down our throats.
cooperrocks wrote: I personally went from being fired up about this tour and planning to see multiple shows to now thinking one is plenty.
I'm doing two shows myself, but honestly after seeing this set I don't feel so bad that I'm not doing the 5 or more I often do.
cooperrocks wrote: I do think, for what is worth, that as true Alice fans we do need to have the guts to tell the parties that be that the fans aren't happy.
Definitely. I don't like being a constant Negative Nancy on this board like some do, however we should voice our opinions. It's been insinuated that management does monitor this board, so I can't think of a better place to do so.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:52 am

Spiner202 wrote:Anyone getting the VIP/meet and greet with Alice? If so, and you've got some major balls, someone should ask him about this. He's gotta know how dumb this is, right?

He obviously doesnt think so. He can be pretty clueless.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:56 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:After three years of the same show, it's impossible to view another show with four cover songs as anything but majorly disappointing and the definition of mailing it in at this stage of the game.

But you will probably keep on going which perpetuates things.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:02 am

cooperrocks wrote:I don't like to get into arguments online but first let me say Concolz and Pitkin, you have made abundantly clear for years you aren't Alice fans. The early 70's have been over for over 40 years. I am not trying to insult you personally but constructive criticism is one thing but your constant attacks are ridiculous. If you aren't a fan that is your right, but why post on a site about an artist you don't care for. I apologize everyone else but I had to get that off my chest.

Nothing personal back but i also happen to love FTF SF Zipper Da Da and Brutal Planet. I also like TLT and some of TEOAC and Dirty Diamonds. I am not stuck in the 70's. Should I put a disclaimer of what albums I like on my signature line?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun May 01, 2016 1:06 am

pitkin88 wrote:
RemarkablyInsincere wrote:After three years of the same show, it's impossible to view another show with four cover songs as anything but majorly disappointing and the definition of mailing it in at this stage of the game.

As already stated, I won't be going to as many shows.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:08 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:

As already stated, I won't be going to as many shows.

Sorry I was reading out of order.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun May 01, 2016 2:01 am

Hey Guys & Gails,
I can smell a double DVD on the horizon. 1st disc Spend The Night Tour w/Hollywood Vampires tour as a deluxe "Bonus Disc" save your Concert money for these. The Pre-Order starts soon! :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Sparticus
Killer
Killer

Post by Sparticus » Sun May 01, 2016 6:17 am

I don't think the covers have to go, as I'm not as vehemently opposed to them as most on this board are. We aren't the typical or casual fan and we want to hear Alice play Alice stuff. I get that.

While it's impossible for Alice to please everyone, the reason I'm frustrated is because I believe there could be a middle ground to please both parties a little bit more.

Currently, the covers take up 20 percent of the set list. That's far too much.

Why can't Alice play a medley of the covers, playing a minute of each song that he wants to do? This would also fix the problem of losing interest by playing the songs in their entirety. If you watch the YouTube video of Suffregate City, the crowd seems rather dead (I know Alice's crowd is aging, but still). I think the covers get played back to back and it just draws on too long. Either spread them out throughout the set, or play a medley! The medley would make room for two more songs, which could be used for deeper cuts and make most of us happy. Throw Nothing's Free and Pick up the Bones (or insert your two choices) in there and it's a pretty damn good set!

The fact that there's not a single song in the set from Alice's catalog from the last quarter century is mind blowing to me.

There's a way to make this better. I'm just afraid it's easier to not look into fixing it. I guess we should just be fortunate we get to see our 68 year old rockstar continue to perform.
If you call that guilty...then that's what I am

Rob
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rob » Sun May 01, 2016 9:11 am

I think we may have to wait and see if the setlist changes over the next 2 or 3 shows,( although I am not holding my breath ) I am a long time fan and have attended many shows , regarding covers I have no problem with them, so long as they are performed during things like the Vampires tour and specials such as group reunions, charity gigs or special likes the 100 club or any sort of 1 off gig, because in my mind that's the right setting for those type of things ie something away from the norm .
But attending a full on Alice show I want to see and hear a proper Alice Cooper show , yes granted the classics have to be in there but here`s the thing , how about thinking about the die hards just for once and drop the covers for maybe 3 or 4 tracks that we would like to hear ,I can never see myself not wanting to attend a show regardless of the set list , but I can also understand why some people will not ,Everybody knows that the money is now made in touring and not record sales like the good old days ticket prices prove this ,and keeping the customer happy and bums on seats works both ways . Perhaps the people behind the scenes would be better looking at the reaction on this site and forum instead of wasting time with FB and Twitter etc,
:bam:
It must be true A_Michael said so

suziginajackson
Killer
Killer

Post by suziginajackson » Sun May 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Was David Bowie a member of the 'Hollywood Vampires' club, or is his song being included just as a tribute?
People try to put us down
Just because we get around