Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Desperado1990
Trash
Trash

Re: Spend Your Night With Alice Cooper Tour!

Post by Desperado1990 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:25 pm

I have always wanted to hear something from RYFAY. Adore that album. Freedom, The Trilogy or Prince of Darkness would be fantastic tracks to add to the setlist. Oh well.
I heard rumours about Loves a loaded gun but that turned out to be false too.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Desperado1990 wrote:I have always wanted to hear something from RYFAY. Adore that album. Freedom, The Trilogy or Prince of Darkness would be fantastic tracks to add to the setlist. Oh well.
I heard rumours about Loves a loaded gun but that turned out to be false too.
As I have said before, I think there is a very small chance 'Freedom' my appear some day, but I can`t see anything else being played again.

Desperado1990
Trash
Trash

Post by Desperado1990 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Freedom would be my choice if one song could be played from that album.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Freedom is my personal favorite song of Alice's...but the trilogy would be a great visual set...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:42 pm

From Spiner202:
"For the last two albums (ACAS/W2MN), he's totally messed up the timing with his tours, so he barely plays anything from them."

The "timing" didn't have anything to do with it. It was his choice.

>I can't imagine him bothering to write a new album if he's not willing to support it.

Leaving aside the fact that new material is being written, as confirmed by both Alice and Dennis Dunaway (and as always, we'll see what happens with that), I hope we're not going to have the discussion yet again about the best way for someone in Alice's position to "support" new music. The post from concolz (especially the first paragraph although he, unfortunately, allowed his cynicism to run away with him at the end) and the last post from guttertrash describe the current situation the most accurately.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:45 pm

From guttertrash:
>The covers need to go.

I can only agree. It may be time for me to dust off one of my infamous tantrums.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:17 pm

As there's such an obvious crossover between AC and HVs, why don't they go the whole hog and merge?

Alice & The Vampires; it's got a sort of ring to it, like Martha & The Vandellas ( Johnny D could always do a bit of shimmying behind Alice). They could merge songs as well: 'Whole Lotta Nice Guy'; 'My Generation Landslide'; 'It's Hot Turkey Tonight (just for a change)'; 'Jackknife Jeepster'.

The tour could be called 'Spend Your Cash With Alice & The Vampires', with concerts held in banks instead of theatres.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:19 pm

guttertrash wrote:The covers need to go.
As always, I am 99% happy that he continues to tour.

But the covers are beginning to becoma a pretty big 1%, unfortunately.

I don't mind the setlist. I have seen quite a few shows in the past few years and I can live with anything in the setlist. But I would lie if I thought that I wasn't annoyed at a man and an artist of Alice's caliber, and his vast catalog of superb material, doing (damn) covers. Apart from this he also has HV to do this already.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:23 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Spiner202:
"For the last two albums (ACAS/W2MN), he's totally messed up the timing with his tours, so he barely plays anything from them."

The "timing" didn't have anything to do with it. It was his choice.
That doesn't make it a good choice. He puts out two albums, including a redux of one of his most popular and he barely supports them.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:23 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:I can only agree. It may be time for me to dust off one of my infamous tantrums.
Go for it Andy.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:33 pm

So disappointing setlist. I cancelled my ticket for Tilburg.
I'm done with it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:12 pm

Si wrote:I think it's worth noting that the covers section has always seemed to go down better in the US then in the UK.
The simple fact is that the setlist is no longer aimed at the big fans who know all the albums and paid to see him for decades, but at the casual fans who only know the hits. To them the covers are recognisable songs so they love it.

Then he should continue in this vein for the rest of his career. Not sure why you and Amuk are disappointed as Alice seems to be doing what is right for his continued success. He would be foolish to do anything else. Embrace it or like some other die hards here call it a day. No amount of Amuk's tantrums will change anything.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Ok, he did played songs he hadn't played in a long time.... but those are songs that have been played to death!

I love Long Way to Go and I think it's great to add a song like Public Animal.... BUT

The order of the set is weird, and I don't like this thing of "No theatrics" no nothing. It's kind of sad but it's the way that Alice wants it. He wants to be another regular rock n roll guy :(

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:26 pm

pitkin88 wrote: Then he should continue in this vein for the rest of his career. Not sure why you and Amuk are disappointed as Alice seems to be doing what is right for his continued success. He would be foolish to do anything else. Embrace it or like some other die hards here call it a day. No amount of Amuk's tantrums will change anything.
Once again, and predictable, you miss the point.
Just because it goes down well some places doesn`t mean we have to like it or think it's actually a good idea. If you looked around on facebook etc there are endless disappointed people commenting about it today, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to single out just Andy and I.

Obviously as you don`t go to shows you would be unaware that Alice and the band rarely if ever do a bad show. An Alice show playing anything is still better then 99.9% of acts out there. In that respect the actual setlist doesn`t matter to the general public. You rarely if ever see anyone come away and say "wow, that sucked'.

The point is that with so many of his own classics that aren`t played, playing covers is silly. The show would be better without them for the diehards, and the casuals probably wouldn`t care either way! They would still enjoy it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: Then he should continue in this vein for the rest of his career. Not sure why you and Amuk are disappointed as Alice seems to be doing what is right for his continued success. He would be foolish to do anything else. Embrace it or like some other die hards here call it a day. No amount of Amuk's tantrums will change anything.
Once again, and predictable, you miss the point.
Just because it goes down well some places doesn`t mean we have to like it or think it's actually a good idea. If you looked around on facebook etc there are endless disappointed people commenting about it today, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to single out just Andy and I.

Obviously as you don`t go to shows you would be unaware that Alice and the band rarely if ever do a bad show. An Alice show playing anything is still better then 99.9% of acts out there. In that respect the actual setlist doesn`t matter to the general public. You rarely if ever see anyone come away and say "wow, that sucked'.

The point is that with so many of his own classics that aren`t played, playing covers is silly. The show would be better without them for the diehards, and the casuals probably wouldn`t care either way! They would still enjoy it.

So now the casuals probably don't care? Your name is apt as it makes me want to. The shows have been bad for years. Predictable and stale. Maybe you should see some other bands if you think this treading water constant rehash is better than 99 percent of what is out there.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:53 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:Ok, he did played songs he hadn't played in a long time.... but those are songs that have been played to death!

I love Long Way to Go and I think it's great to add a song like Public Animal.... BUT

The order of the set is weird, and I don't like this thing of "No theatrics" no nothing. It's kind of sad but it's the way that Alice wants it. He wants to be another regular rock n roll guy :(
It's not "no theatrics, no nothing." They got Sheryl performing, FrankenAlice, the strait jacket, politicians during Elected, and the guillotine.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:58 pm

The covers are a horrendous blow. Having seen multiple shows of raise the dead, I haven't noticed a great reaction to any of the covers here in the states. You do get a typical "oh that is a shock" for the first one for the uninitiated, then the response wans.
However, I do agree with Si that Alice and band always deliver great performances. While, personally, I could do without all the familiar songs, I totally understand (and respect) Alice's commitment to give the people the hits and the concert standards.
PA#9 and LWtG are nice to see, but not as rarely played as could be chosen (Looney Tune, My Stars, Hallowed be thy Name, etc). Dropping the covers would have allowed some space for a deeper cut (who knows might even prompt a casual concert goer to find out what that song was).
Well, definitely just going to one show in May (was going to 3).Then I'll wait to see if anything changes prior to the late summer/fall shows (at least 3 more opportunities).

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:59 pm

pitkin88 wrote: So now the casuals probably don't care? Your name is apt as it makes me want to. The shows have been bad for years.
That is complete and utter rubbish. The setlist is NOT the show. It is just one element.
Maybe you have forgotten that.
pitkin88 wrote:Predictable and stale.
That I agree with in part. The ToD show was the last great show with a lot of new elements. But again, the performances have been top rate.
Show me something that says otherwise and I will show you endless rave reviews.
pitkin88 wrote: Maybe you should see some other bands if you think this treading water constant rehash is better than 99 percent of what is out there.
You are assuming I haven`t seen any other bands? I've seen hundreds of shows by other bands over the years from both small clubs to huge stadiums.

You are also AGAIN confusing elements of a show being everything. They aren`t.
EG Roger Water's 'The Wall' was possibly the most spectacular rock show ever, but Alice is still the better performer IMHO.

You simply can`t look at a setlist and decide a show will be bad. That's ridiculous, especially when the show is packed with bonefide classics, even ones that have been played endlessly..

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:22 pm

pitkin88 wrote: The shows have been bad for years. Predictable and stale.
I'd much rather spend my money on a new band - who are lean, mean and ragged round the edges - than someone who's become the Bruce Forsyth of shock'n'roll. I think he is still slick and professional, but it's more about nostalgia and trooping on now (as it is with 99% of other oldies).

For 'disappointeds', the best thing to do is vote with your wallet: don't buy a ticket.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:00 pm

Ok, with no theatrics I made a mistake but I was trying to refere to the idea that the theatrics are there just.... because!

It has no sense of show continuity like Psycho-drama or Theatre of Death. It'd be the same if any rock n roll band would put a guillotine and different props for no reason into a show.