For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

schinkengott
Killer
Killer

Re: Tour 2016---Thoughts???

Post by schinkengott » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Why not do it like the Stones on their current Tour of south America? For every date, They posted four different photos tagged with Song titles on Instagram (e.g. Street fighting man, like a rolling stone, you got me rockin), the one that got the most likes was then played. Even if this might be difficult with Alice, since the Song must fit with the flow of the Show. Plus, with the Stones, it was never the same four songs to choose from.
Thats what a good spider does...you trap....you kill....you eat

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:43 pm

It was via instagram, facebook and twitter. It was kind of a hashtag poll (I'm from Chile)

Alice could do it without problem if you care about the setlist he could rotate the "rock n roll" songs, for example Lost in America, Department of Youth, He's Back, Non staple songs could rotate and even change the place. For example. When people vote in Brazil for Jumping Jack Flash, the Stones added it as an encore. Imagine, if Alice puts to vote, Elected, he could throw it after or before School's Out.

But the is a major problem.... The Stones rest and rehearse for 3 days before a show.... Alice has one after the other and the other... Not much time to rehearse a different song

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote: Imagine, if Alice puts to vote, Elected, he could throw it after or before School's Out.
I'm guessing Elected will be back this year. Its an election year and there's plenty to poke fun at this time haha

Sparticus
Killer
Killer

Post by Sparticus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:29 am

I realize that the "requests" are a long shot and we probably won't get a lot of the songs many of US want to hear.

I just thought him (the people who run his social media) saying that they're putting together a NEW SHOW was good news...

Carry on
If you call that guilty...then that's what I am

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:18 am

if he did just one different "unexepected" per gig, he could record them all and put it out at the end as a truly unique album/DVD/download. would be interesting to see what response that would get.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:46 am

Si, are you going to vote for My Stars?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:03 am

kevinuk81 wrote:Si, are you going to vote for My Stars?
I would do, if I used Twitter.
However I think they are quite aware of what *I* want to hear after our mini-campaign of a few years ago haha ;)

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Yeah I found the twitter page and submitted my requests for what its worth...I would love to see something from RYFAY just because we got He's Back and hope something from the follow up album would be incredible!
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:32 am

i think you can forget the Trilogy, i believe Alice said he wouldn't be doing songs of that theme any more.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:17 pm

From killer wolf:
"i believe Alice said he wouldn't be doing songs of that theme any more"

That doesn't sound familiar. Do you have a source?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:30 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From killer wolf:
"i believe Alice said he wouldn't be doing songs of that theme any more"

That doesn't sound familiar. Do you have a source?

There is something to this. I read and posted that he felt that the Kane stuff was too difficult for the band to play. I have not been able to find the article though. I think that style is hard to replicate authentically.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:51 pm

pitkin88 wrote: There is something to this. I read and posted that he felt that the Kane stuff was too difficult for the band to play.
Sorry, and i'm not aiming this at you Pitkin, but this is complete rubbish. *IF* AC said this (which I really doubt), then he is vastly underestimating his band.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: There is something to this. I read and posted that he felt that the Kane stuff was too difficult for the band to play.
Sorry, and i'm not aiming this at you Pitkin, but this is complete rubbish. *IF* AC said this (which I really doubt), then he is vastly underestimating his band.

Could you imagine Steve Hunter having a go at it? I'm guessing he meant them getting that sound down authentically. I think only the pedantic cheesy He's Back has been played since those tours which tends to back it up.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:20 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote:
Could you imagine Steve Hunter having a go at it? I'm guessing he meant them getting that sound down authentically. I think only the pedantic cheesy He's Back has been played since those tours which tends to back it up.
But that isn`t what you said he said. Playing them to sound the same as the 80s is not the same as not being able to play them.

Only other track I can remember off hand being played is 'Teenage Frankenstein' in 2002, which worked fine.

I think the lack of setlist time is more to do with them 1) not being that well known (apart from He's back possibly) and 2) not fitting in with the rest of the songs. I don`t think it has anything at all to do with any given band not being able to play them.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:15 pm

So if Teenage Frankenstein worked fine why not the rest of that stuff? Shouldn't these songs be well known as they started the comeback? Maybe Andy could ask Alice.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:37 pm

pitkin88 wrote:So if Teenage Frankenstein worked fine why not the rest of that stuff? Shouldn't these songs be well known as they started the comeback? Maybe Andy could ask Alice.
It worked fine in as much as it sounded fine. Honestly can`t remember how it actually went down in the show. It only lasted one leg of the tour.

You started by saying that Alice has said the band couldn`t play them, then that they couldn`t play them to sound like the originals, and now you seem to be arguing that if they CAN play them fine they must be included in the set, and the fact they aren`t proves they can`t play them? Just trying to follow the logic.

'My Stars' hasn`t been in the set. QED they can`t play it.
We KNOW this isn`t true as it was been rehearsed and reportedly sounded excellent, but wasn`t included because Shep didn`t think it worked in the show. Same with 'Some Folks' and various others.

As to being the "start of the comeback" you have to remember that comeback was 30 years ago. 'He's Back' aside they are probably almost never played on the radio/TV in the last 25. The average person at the show probably doesn`t really know them.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:51 am

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:So if Teenage Frankenstein worked fine why not the rest of that stuff? Shouldn't these songs be well known as they started the comeback? Maybe Andy could ask Alice.
It worked fine in as much as it sounded fine. Honestly can`t remember how it actually went down in the show. It only lasted one leg of the tour.

You started by saying that Alice has said the band couldn`t play them, then that they couldn`t play them to sound like the originals, and now you seem to be arguing that if they CAN play them fine they must be included in the set, and the fact they aren`t proves they can`t play them? Just trying to follow the logic.

We KNOW this isn`t true as it was been rehearsed and reportedly sounded excellent, but wasn`t included because Shep didn`t think it worked in the show. Same with 'Some Folks' and various others.

As to being the "start of the comeback" you have to remember that comeback was 30 years ago. 'He's Back' aside they are probably almost never played on the radio/TV in the last 25. The average person at the show probably doesn`t really know them.

Nice spin Si. You where the one that brought up TF. Please don't start with the average fan crap argument again. Maybe you could compile a list of what songs the average fan knows Let's wait for Andy to call Alice we know he must be chomping at the bit.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:01 am

June 8th 2014 Saint Brieuc, FR Festival Art Rock
Setlist: / House Of Fire / I'll Bite Your Face Off /Caffeine / Department Of Youth ( flop single )/ Dirty Diamonds (incl. drum solo)

There's a bunch of songs the average fan probably wouldn't know. So why couldn't he play the hard to remember 30 yrs ago metal dirge songs in their place?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:51 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote:

Nice spin Si. You where the one that brought up TF. Please don't start with the average fan crap argument again. Maybe you could compile a list of what songs the average fan knows Let's wait for Andy to call Alice we know he must be chomping at the bit.
Not trying to spin anything. Just trying to follow your logic and conclusions that's all.
I don`t believe Alice EVER said that any given band couldn`t play any given song, and offering you an alternative explanation as to why those songs aren`t played.
I brought up TF to show you that more recent bands could and have played the constrictor/RYF stuff.
You're denial that the average AC concert goer is familiar with those albums AND wants to hear them *I* think is incorrect, and *I* think that the lack of those songs being played supports the fact that Alice/Shep believe the same.
Sure there is a small section of the audience that would love them to be played, but that isn`t the majority.
That doesn`t mean they can`t be played, or that one of them won`t show up at some point.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:04 am

pitkin88 wrote:June 8th 2014 Saint Brieuc, FR Festival Art Rock
Setlist: / House Of Fire / I'll Bite Your Face Off /Caffeine / Department Of Youth ( flop single )/ Dirty Diamonds (incl. drum solo)

There's a bunch of songs the average fan probably wouldn't know. So why couldn't he play the hard to remember 30 yrs ago metal dirge songs in their place?
House Of Fire = rare song from his best selling album
I'll Bite Your Face Off/Caffine - from the then current album+Face got a fair amount of exposure and worked well live.
Department of Youth - WAS a big hit in some parts of the world and is from one of his most successful and still popular albums.
Dirty Diamonds - used as the mid set break song, as was Halo, and the old Black Widow jam. (This is where My Stars would work). Also Alice apparently LIKES drum solos so adding that into the mid set break makes sense.

From all the Constrictor/RYF songs (he's back aside) the only one *I* can really see being added to the set is Freedom, but if it was (which is doubtful) I can`t see it sounding as "metal" as the RYF version.

Again: There is no reason a given song CAN'T be played, it's a choice based on what Alice/Shep/Bob think would work in any given show, and if Alice enjoys playing that song. Why do you think we get 'Lost In Americ' so much? Alice likes playing it. That is as valid a reason for a songs inclusion as any other. However if it killed the show stone dead it would probably be dropped.