For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Bay City, MI - June 28th, 2014 - Review & Photos

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 pm

The Bay City Michigan show was the third show of the first three, but I think my pics from that show are the best of the bunch so I'm sharing them first. I was centered and the lighting was excellent and those things can make all the difference when you're shooting with a compact camera.

We got there around 1pm after driving down from St. Ignace where we stayed after the Sault Ste Marie show the night before. We were 2nd and 3rd in line until doors opened. It was extremely hot to say the least, but totally worth it to secure front and center on the barrier for The Master.

There had to be 4000 to 5000 people there by the time the show started. I'd heard it was their biggest crowd ever and they've had some major bands play this festival in the past (Styx, etc). It was great to see such a big crowd. No doubt Alice and the band feed off the energy of the crowd and there was plenty of that there this night.

This was the only show of the three to feature pyro apparently due to restrictions in the other two venues. It's not essential, but it is pretty frickin' cool when Alice comes out to that curtain of sparks to start the show.

There were no "surprises"... it's the same show as the band was playing last year. I'm sure it will be shortened and the covers dropped for the Crue Tour. Glen does have a cool new drum set though.

By this point, the third show, Nita looks to be settling in nicely and having a blast up there on stage! She's fun to watch and fits in well. She can shred too!

I definitely have to give some props to Tommy Henriksen (aka Disviscious)... definitely the MVP of the early shows of the tour. While Nita and Ryan get the leads and the spotlight, Tommy holds it all together with his rhythm guitar all show long. Sitting in front of him and Nita for the first two shows, it was cool to see this and gain an appreciation for what he brings to the band in addition to his showmanship and energy.

And is there anybody cooler than Ryan Roxie? I don't think so. We did a Ryan Roxie parking lot before the first show. I encourage anyone hitting the shows to attend one. They are a total blast and just add to the whole show experience. There's nothing cooler than spending a few minutes with Ryan. It's simply awesome that he goes out of his way to meet with the fans like this.

Bay City photos are at the following link. Attention Kyler Clark... there are two here involving you that I think are pretty darn cool ;) I suspected what was about to happen so I was ready with my trigger finger. Cool stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95849697@ ... 036924050/
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

mkayers
Trash
Trash

Re: Bay City, MI - June 28th, 2014 - Review & Photos

Post by mkayers » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Definitely was an awesome show. The last few times I've seen him was as an opener so this was the first time I got to see the Raise the Dead cover portion. Very cool. I do have to say the opening band really sucked though (a bar band that plays 2 hours of cover songs?!?!) & it wasn't cool of the venue to open the gates at 5:00 with the opening band going on at 6:00 but Alice wasn't going on until 9:15!! Just a way to scam people into buying food & drinks in my opinion. At least Alice was great as usual.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:56 pm

mkayers wrote:Definitely was an awesome show. The last few times I've seen him was as an opener so this was the first time I got to see the Raise the Dead cover portion. Very cool. I do have to say the opening band really sucked though (a bar band that plays 2 hours of cover songs?!?!) & it wasn't cool of the venue to open the gates at 5:00 with the opening band going on at 6:00 but Alice wasn't going on until 9:15!! Just a way to scam people into buying food & drinks in my opinion. At least Alice was great as usual.
Yea, the opener had a longer set than Alice! I think my eyes glazed over by the third Mellencamp song. Opening the doors at 6:30pm or 7:00pm might have been better. It's generally not a good idea to open the doors so early and then have people with nothing to do but drink heavily. The few times I've seen this scenario have been the times when there were fights in the crowd... and sure enough there were few fights up front this night.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks RI. Excellent stuff. I will dig in properly now. :HEART:

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 am

mkayers wrote:I do have to say the opening band really sucked though (a bar band that plays 2 hours of cover songs?!?!) & it wasn't cool of the venue to open the gates at 5:00 with the opening band going on at 6:00
Not as bad as a gig I worked at a local club when they opened the doors while we were setting the stage. Blue Oyster Cult arrived late from wherever & the Roadies had just started when the local opening acts (early '90's) arrived for load in. They opened the doors & the only soundcheck was for BOC at that point. Pulled the show off as troopers & left before the "Headliners" hit the stage!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:48 am

More good photos RI and I also thought Tommy really held the shows together when I saw Alice last year.
The Michigan Upper Penninsula is lovely and St. Ignace was a pretty cool little town.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:59 am

tuneylune wrote:More good photos RI and I also thought Tommy really held the shows together when I saw Alice last year.
The Michigan Upper Penninsula is lovely and St. Ignace was a pretty cool little town.
Thanks. Yes, this is the second time I've been to the Upper Peninsula (both times for Alice shows) and I really enjoyed the trip both times.

mkayers
Trash
Trash

Post by mkayers » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:55 pm

I will say I like the way Sheryl is playing the nurse part. Very creepy! a lot more "monsterous" than the way Calico did it.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:24 pm

mkayers wrote:I will say I like the way Sheryl is playing the nurse part. Very creepy!
Sheryl is simply brilliant in the role. Amazing talent.