October 22, 2013 - Richmond, VA - Review and Pics (Spoilers)

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

October 22, 2013 - Richmond, VA - Review and Pics (Spoilers)

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 pm

I made the five and a half hour trip from Pittsburgh to sunny Richmond, Virginia this past Tuesday to catch the Raise The Dead Tour for the first of two shows.

The band has picked up right where they left off over the summer. They are a finely oiled machine, but they play with such reckless abandon you might not know it. Alice still delivers like only he can with total command over the show and the audience. A master showman.

The beautiful and amazing Orianthi is a real coup for The Coop. It is a real treat to have her as a member of Alice's band. In addition to being a simply amazing guitar player, her beauty serves as contrast to Alice's beast. I had the pleasure of being front and center for both shows and it's so much fun watching Ori play and perform. The interaction between her and Alice "Moves like Jagger" Cooper during IBYFO is one of my favorite parts of this show. I really hope she's a member of this band for a long time to come.

The Richmond crowd was rocking and it was great to see. They were way into the show. When the snake came out, a roar went up from the crowd that I can't ever remember hearing. Awesome.

We got the "smoke" intro rather than the "pyro" intro, which I had not seen yet. Different, but still cool. It's also great that "He's Back" is back in the set and it got a great reaction. Based on conversation with various people, it seems to me many want to hear this song so maybe it's more beloved than perhaps may have been previously thought. I know it's always been one of my favorites in the catalog. I liked how Alice used the mask during the song.

Another cool moment in the show that you might miss if you're not paying attention is the "magic cane" during "School's Out". When Alice comes out, it looks like he has no cane... then the next thing you notice is he does. I did a double take the first night. Pay close attention ;)

My pics from the show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95849697@N ... 933355824/
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Re: October 22, 2013 - Richmond, VA - Review and Pics (Spoil

Post by cherrypie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:16 pm

GREAT PICS!! :clap: :clap:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks!

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Oh wow! Fabulous photos! I've added you to my Flickr "watch" I'll go back to your gallery. Right now I am about to crawl into bed :yawn:

Glad you had fun :alice:

tallcoolone
Trash
Trash

Post by tallcoolone » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 pm

Your photos are awesome. Long-time lurker on the site. This is my first post. I was the VIP onstage winner for the Richmond show and came out during School's Out to throw the baloons out. Just an awesome experience. When I talked to Alice after the show he was pretty pumped and said this was the the "best crowd in a long time". Those exact words were posted on his Twitter and Facebook later that evening. He said he saw some 15 year olds mouthing the words to every word of every song and he loved this - the crowd in The National was rocking!

Alice could not have been nicer when I met him after the show. I had a vinyl copy of "Easy Action" that I had among some other items that he signed for me. Looked like it had been awhile since he had seen a copy - he flipped it over and studied the song titles. He talked about how Ezrin came in after that and that's when they truly became 'Alice Cooper'. I asked about Orianthi and he said when he recruited her "how would you like to play 21 songs a night and play 21 solos a night? Sign me up!" Says she has a Australian/Valley Girl accent and no one in the band can understand anything she says - he loves her to death and she is like a sister to the other band members - says she is very shy. Of course, he played 18 holes in Richmond earlier in the day, he could not remember the name of the course. Asked him how the Russian shows went earlier in the month and said they went great but it was very cold. He said he could not wait to get down to Florida (the Huntington, WV show was the next night - then the drive to FL.)

Overall, probably the greatest rock and roll night of my life...

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:07 am

Awesome story! So I wasn't the only one who noticed how into the show the Richmond crowd was! That place was really rocking. My first trip to Richmond. The National is a very cool venue. Great place to see a show. I would love to go back there again on a future tour. What a blast!

Ori is great. She has really developed as a performer over the 2 years she's been in the band to go along with her guitar playing. It's great to see her having fun with it with the make-up and writing on her arm. I was lucky enough to meet her before a show once and she was extremely nice. Love the accent too!

Glad you liked the pics. And congrats on the balloon throwing.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:31 am

That's great! :clap:

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:55 am

Great shots! When did you find time to enjoy the show? Looks like you were behind the lens the entire time. :bam:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:22 am

thank you for sharing your pics RI. you did a fantastic job,and it helps those of us who haven't seen him in a couple of years feel like we are there with shots this great!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:45 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:Great shots! When did you find time to enjoy the show? Looks like you were behind the lens the entire time. :bam:
It's a balancing act. I try to not let the pictures take over from enjoying the show. It's not like video where you are consumed, however.

tallcoolone
Trash
Trash

Post by tallcoolone » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Again, awesome photos. Having been at that show - your photos are special to me. Frankly, I was getting so giddy about being called on stage for my onstage appearance, I did not take many photos and regretted not having any images to see. It's awesome you made the drive down to our fair city (I live in Richmond.)

Unfortunately, the friend I tasked with documenting my stage appearance for the baloon drop had technology problems and only got two thirds of it on video. I have now seen some clips emerge on You Tube, where you can sorta see me:) I have one good shot from balcony a friend took a still photo of me on stage that came out that will get framed.

I would add I saw Alice in that same venue in 2009 - the crowd rocked way more this time around for whatever reason. Was really just a great night. Have probably seen over 40 shows at The National since 2007 (when it opened) from Lou Reed (RIP), Jane's Addiction, Megadeth, Alice In Chains, Sonic Youth, etc. The crowd at the Cooper show last week was on fire and was one of the best I have seen in that venue. Special night for sure.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:10 pm

I looked through my pics and this is the only picture I have of anyone with balloons from Richmond:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z53ceg.jpg

Unfortunately, not very clear.

tallcoolone
Trash
Trash

Post by tallcoolone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:16 am

Not me:) Girl who went to the other side - I remember her backstage though. Thanks for looking.