Cleveland, Ohio - 6/13/2013 (Possible Spoilers)

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Cleveland, Ohio - 6/13/2013 (Possible Spoilers)

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:00 am

I caught the "Masters of Madness" show in Cleveland last night.

First off, I've not ever been more than a casual fan of Manson that enjoyed a few of the singles and own Antichrist Superstar from back in the day, but that's the extent of it as I've not kept up with his career. But I REALLY enjoyed his set A LOT. I thought musically it was very interesting... I only knew a handful of the songs... and theatrically it was even cooler. From what I've read he's dug out a lot of set pieces from past tours and there's really not a dull moment in the entire set. He's got something going on theatrically different in just about every song. I dug that a lot. He got a great response from the crowd. I'm sure I'll be checking out his stuff a bit more now.

Alice and the band delivered a high octane assault on the senses. They were loud and they were rockin'! "Hello Hooray" with "House of Fire" is a great one two punch to kick off the show. HH is probably my favorite opening tune Alice has done over the years too. Glen Sobel is one unbelievable drummer.... dare I say the best drummer Alice has had in a long long time... maybe since a guy named Neal sat behind the kit. He was on fire. The band as a whole sounded extremely tight and Ori continues to impress. She got a big response from the crowd when she wow'd at the end of "Dirty Diamonds". The set is really a barrage of one unbelievable classic song after another.

One thing that struck me after the show is that I think it's been a long time since there was only one song from "Welcome To My Nightmare" in the set.

I really dug seeing Sheryl in the show as the demented and hobbling nurse. Glad they upped the theatrics, I could have stood to have even a few more theatrical elements in the show given how many different things Manson is doing. Would be nice if they kept the nurse bit in the show even when they go back to the RTD set. I always miss the female character in the show when one isn't there.

I'm looking forward to seeing this show again next week!
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

jettrainfan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Cleveland, Ohio - 6/13/2013 (Possible Spoilers)

Post by jettrainfan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:30 am

Agreed, it was definitely a great show worth going to!

smorgasson
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by smorgasson » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:45 am

[Spoilers!!!]

Saw him in Denver a couple of weeks ago, saw the set list from the show the night before and was less than impressed but he came out singing Hello Hooray and I threw that set list out the window. He threw even me for a few loops...he did stuff I've never seen and I saw Julius Squeezer for the first time, I haven't seen him with a snake yet until then...so it was a real treat

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:45 am

>From what I've read he's dug out a lot of set pieces from past tours

It would be interesting to know if and how that statement resonates with those Alice Cooper fans who say they are bored with Alice putting on the 'same old theatrics'.

smorgasson
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by smorgasson » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:31 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>From what I've read he's dug out a lot of set pieces from past tours

It would be interesting to know if and how that statement resonates with those Alice Cooper fans who say they are bored with Alice putting on the 'same old theatrics'.
He did do some stuff that I've never seen and he played a lot of the big hits really early in his set...as many times as I've seen him I was still surprised with his ingenuity on this tour. The only repetitive thing that I've seen are: some of the promo shots of him on the posters and stuff for this tour are from promos done for ACAS...which kinda bugs me a little since I sincerely disliked that album.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:38 pm

I forget to mention the Alice/Manson "I'm Eighteen" duet at the end of the show.... I love when Alice's tosses Manson the crutch.

And they even shared a lipstick mid song. :laugh:

Manson giving Alice lots of respect too as he kissed Alice's boot towards the end.

Awesome to see them do this on a nightly basis.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:41 pm

it was tough not going this year! thanks for the reviews. My neighbors went and said that manson seemed "messed up",forgot lyrics,and tried climbing a scaffold and had to be brought down by roadies. they are pretty big manson fans and said they ultimately got so bored with him that they couldn't wait for alice to come out! also said there were many empty seats...and does anybody know who opened the show (before MM came out)?
one thing everyone agrees on is how good coop was and will of course continue to be!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:04 pm

scotty wrote:and does anybody know who opened the show (before MM came out)?
Picture Me Broken was the opener. There is another thread here about them with a bit more detail so check it out.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:00 pm

thanks,for some reason my friends were asking me if it was orianthi opening. I said I highly doubt she would pull two sets like that! they also thought it might be one of his daughters,but we all know that they aren't in a proper band..

MrF33n3y
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MrF33n3y » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:43 pm

I was at Rockfest in Montebello yesterday but ended up leaving before Alice because the main stage was running almost 2 hours behind schedule and I had to drive 6 hours through the night to get home. Turns out he had to cut his set even shorter yesterday and he dropped House Of Fire...I don't feel so bad about missing his set now.

Gonna see the Rama show on Fourth of July though since both of my shows on this leg got screwed up.

smorgasson
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by smorgasson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:47 pm

MrF33n3y wrote:I was at Rockfest in Montebello yesterday but ended up leaving before Alice because the main stage was running almost 2 hours behind schedule and I had to drive 6 hours through the night to get home. Turns out he had to cut his set even shorter yesterday and he dropped House Of Fire...I don't feel so bad about missing his set now.

Gonna see the Rama show on Fourth of July though since both of my shows on this leg got screwed up.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about that! I was a little torqued because I drove 5ish hours to the venue, was given backstage passes (which was AWESOME) stayed until 12am to get my other half to meet Alice then we got kicked out for NO REASON! They just told my boyfriend and I to leave even though we were just standing in line patiently, we weren't even talking. The folks behind us were causing a ruckus so maybe they mistook us for them. The number 1 reason why I even went to the show and spent over $150 in tickets and gas, was so my other half could meet Alice. So that was a little annoying. Hardly Alice's fault though, just the intense security around him. It was a decent set though, was very happy with the show.

MrF33n3y
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MrF33n3y » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:17 am

smorgasson wrote:
MrF33n3y wrote:I was at Rockfest in Montebello yesterday but ended up leaving before Alice because the main stage was running almost 2 hours behind schedule and I had to drive 6 hours through the night to get home. Turns out he had to cut his set even shorter yesterday and he dropped House Of Fire...I don't feel so bad about missing his set now.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about that! I was a little torqued because I drove 5ish hours to the venue, was given backstage passes (which was AWESOME) stayed until 12am to get my other half to meet Alice then we got kicked out for NO REASON! They just told my boyfriend and I to leave even though we were just standing in line patiently, we weren't even talking. The folks behind us were causing a ruckus so maybe they mistook us for them. The number 1 reason why I even went to the show and spent over $150 in tickets and gas, was so my other half could meet Alice. So that was a little annoying. Hardly Alice's fault though, just the intense security around him. It was a decent set though, was very happy with the show.
Bummer, that really sucks. We had all access passes too, and figured there was no chance in hell of meeting him anyways given how packed the backstage area was - part of why we took off early.

Can't complain though - met 4 of the guys from the Bosstones, Tim Armstrong from Rancid, Keith Morris from Black Flag, and got to hang out with the Anthrax guys and watch their set from the stage. It was still a good time, even if we had to miss Alice's set.