For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

nurofeg
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Same songs every night ???

Post by nurofeg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 am

I like Alice as all you are, but I never been in any Alice concerts (I live in Croatia, and really don't have money to travel around Europe), but as I can see every night Alice play the same songs.

I'm just wondering why ???

As I can see other artists change some songs every night, and put some suprices from time to time.

So in the all next concerts we all know setlist from begin to the end. Is it OK ???
Surfing, like surfing. I'm looked and I'm searching.
I've fallen out right into the net!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Same songs every night ???

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 am

>I'm just wondering why ???

That would be mainly becuase it isn't just another rock concert.

coopjack
Trash
Trash

Post by coopjack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 am

A Alice concert is not only lsten to some songs, that is a show. Alice entertains you. I think all big stars never change the setlist from evening to evening. If you can only go to one show, then I want to have the same songs like the other shows.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm

The so called massive stars like McCartney and Springsteen change their setlists pretty frequently, especially Springsteen. Also, their is an old 70's band called Sparks who a few years ago played 20 straight nights in North London, my old stompin' ground and performed a different album each night, then finished with a few hits. As this tour is called " Raise The Dead " their doesn't seem to be too much of a theme running through it other than the covers, for the raising the dead, i think Alice could take advantage and change the rest of the setlist around and hit us with a few surprises.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:20 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:The so called massive stars like McCartney and Springsteen change their setlists pretty frequently, especially Springsteen.
They also generally don't have lights and special effects that are programmed by computer. Bands like KISS, Rush, and Alice have a set show because they have to to accommodate the pyro/lighting/effects. There's usually more involved than just deciding to play a different song.

Hunter

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:51 pm

I guess most people only go to one single show so it would be pretty inconvenient if you would go and hope to see e.g. Halo of Flies because it was on the show the other night, and find Alice singing Ubangi Stomp for instance !
you really wouldn't understand..

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 pm

I understand your point Hunter, saw Rush 2 weeks ago,outstanding show, just don't think this Alice tour is as computer programmed as maybe others have been, but am going on friends say-so who have seen the current show and the Baloise Session i watched, as this tour hasn't come to my part of the world. I also see your point Patrick, i'd be pissed if i ended up with Ubangi Stomp instead of Halo Of Flies, but guess i've been lucky enough to have seen enough shows to take the risk, that's surely what keeps the music exciting....taking risks.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 pm

There is the question of rehearsal too. Bands get "gig fit" and then get (in musician's terms) "tighter" as songs are played repeatedly. nOt as easy when chopping and changing.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Yeah, but i back Alice's musicians against Little Steven and Nils Lofgren [ although i rate Nils highly ]

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Same setlist every is fine to me especially with this killer setlist especially the rare songs included like: House Of Fire, He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask),Devils Food,The Covers,Go To Hell, Etc. I would go to to of these shows even to or three in a row!!.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:58 am

SickThings wrote:
jacknifejohnny wrote:The so called massive stars like McCartney and Springsteen change their setlists pretty frequently, especially Springsteen.
They also generally don't have lights and special effects that are programmed by computer. Bands like KISS, Rush, and Alice have a set show because they have to to accommodate the pyro/lighting/effects. There's usually more involved than just deciding to play a different song.

Hunter
I don't agree. I saw many U2 concerts and they have always surprises in it. And you can't say they don't have a small lightshow.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am

>I don't agree. I saw many U2 concerts and they have always surprises in it. And you can't say they don't have a small lightshow.

This is really such a 'non - issue' though. An Alice Cooper concert is not the same as everyone else's might be. It has a set mood and songs are specifically chosen for a number of reasons such as they have to work together to create that mood. It isn't that the question from nurofeg is dumb, but even if there were some "surprises", the people who missed out on them would probably come to a place like this and complain about it. It is incredible the number of people here who want Alice to do what other artists are doing just because those other artists are doing it. I would have thought by now, that people would realise that this is one of the few remaining things that sets him apart from what everyone else is doing.

nurofeg
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by nurofeg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:52 am

Maybe to change one song every night will be OK. Maybe to Change House of Fire sometimes with Bed Of Nail, or something like that.

Who complained about the little surprise each concert ???
Surfing, like surfing. I'm looked and I'm searching.
I've fallen out right into the net!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

>Maybe to change one song every night will be OK. Maybe to Change House of Fire sometimes with Bed Of Nail, or something like that.

That is my point, though. You can be almost certain that someone will complain that they missed "House Of Fire" ot that there should be more changes.

>Who complained about the little surprise each concert ???

I didn't say they did. I said they probably would.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't think most people understand how much preparation goes into the stage show. The guys rehearse around 14 hours per day leading up to the start of the tour. Every step they take on stage is pretty much choreographed. You just can't change things up on a whim.. Even when they came to the UK and changed the setlist a bit they went back into rehearsals.

Rock and Roll is hard work, lucky for us Alice and the band make it look easy..
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:54 pm

>Every step they take on stage is pretty much choreographed. You just can't change things up on a whim..

Exactly. It isn't like we're talking about just any other artist or something.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:43 pm

A lot of times when I read "suggestions" on this board, the lyrics of a Nirvana song go through my head.....

Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now, entertain us

Complaints about what he did do and about what he didn't do. Why not just be happy with Alice's "do"?

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:26 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Maybe to change one song every night will be OK. Maybe to Change House of Fire sometimes with Bed Of Nail, or something like that.

That is my point, though. You can be almost certain that someone will complain that they missed "House Of Fire" ot that there should be more changes.

>Who complained about the little surprise each concert ???

I didn't say they did. I said they probably would.

I agree. For those who can see Alice every tour, often more then one time per tour, it's easy to complain that the set is the same every night. The same applies to those who doesn't enjoy one of the songs Alice's playing.
BUt for those, like me, who can only see Alice once every 3 years, if we're lucky!, it would be kind of annoying to expect one song to be played and when the day comes he drops it and put another one.
I remember when I went to the nazareth concert a few years ago, when they were changing music every night, it was really lucky for me they played the ones I wanted to hear, but if it where the other way around I simply would be really pissed!

Actually, I'm going to the KISS concert this saturday, and they are changing songs every show. I hate it! I don't know if the ones I like are gonna be played or not!
Enough said 'bout it, there's one more reason people HAVE to stop complaining about Alice's shows: Both the aforementioned band play ONLY 18 songs on stage. It's easier to prepare 25 songs and keep playing 18 of them every night rotating the ones you put on the set, then doing almost 30 song a night! If Alice was about to do what people keep suggesting, he wouldn't go from House of Fire to Bed of Nails like said, but from He's Back to House of Fire or Hey Stoopid to Brutal Planet!
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:58 pm

AliceFan wrote:Same setlist every is fine to me especially with this killer setlist especially the rare songs included like: House Of Fire, He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask),Devils Food,The Covers,Go To Hell, Etc. I would go to to of these shows even to or three in a row!!.
Me too. I went to all seven here in the UK, and the setlist did change a bit for the first 3 (or was 4?) nights. I will probably go and see it again next year too, and I don't mind if it's the same or not. Yes, there are songs I'd like to hear more than others (My Stars f'rinstance :p ) but TBH, I have so much fun once he's onstage, I would still watch him if he sang Disney songs...(as somebody on here once said). In fact, while I was at my VIP meeting in Wolverhampton, I said as much to Sheryl when she asked me if I liked the show....and she said 'So would I' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Last band that I saw change there set from one night to another was Metallica when they played 2 nights in a row here.
They made something like 12 changes on the second night, was like seeing a whole new tour 24 hours later ... Bloody great,