For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Disappointed by the show: a question

Post by Jumping Jack » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:09 am

As far as tributes to dead members of The Who, on opening night of the current Quad tour The Who had a video of John and spliced in his bass solo during 5:15 and gave him props. Moonie got props also.

No reason that if Coop wanted to give props to the dead that Glen couldn't be recognized.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:10 am

PatrickS77 wrote:"I go there for the music and not some bs theatrics, which is a nice extra,..."
I wonder how far the original band would have got without "bs theatrics"? Similarly are all the brilliant visual effects Alice has created over the years since the original band broke up to be dismissed as "bs theatrics" too?
It was the unique marriage of the two elements, music and ghoulish theatrics that created the legend of Alice Cooper. Some of the imagery created by Alice, guillotines, hangings, snakes, canes, top hats, make up etc. etc. are truly(in that much over used word) iconic images in rock history.
Sorry Patrick to dismiss them as "bs theatrics" is in my opinion somewhat disrespectful to the legacy of the original band and the current Alice incarnation.

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by PatrickS77 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:41 am

^^Well, I would hope they would have gotten somewhere on the strength of their music alone. Or are you saying their music alone was/isn't good enough to get them somewhere on it's own terms?? I got into Alice Cooper because of the music, not some theatrics. So really, like I said, the theatrics is a bonus, but no must. I want to hear the songs... the rest is secondary.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Patricks77 wrote: Or are you saying their music alone was/isn't good enough to get them somewhere on it's own terms??
That is impossible to prove one way or another Patrick. However, one thing I can say with certainty is that in the early to mid seventies the theatrics were genuinely ground breaking in terms of rock music and it's presentation. In fact, as a young teenager I can remember seeing the photos of the Killer show and Billion Dollar Babies show and being absolutely fascinated and intrigued in equal measure by what I saw and the image of the band and the theatrics implied in the photographs. I say implied because there were no videos or DVD's let alone Youtube to see these things. If I had to come down one way or the other I would be inclined to say that the wider cultural impact of Alice Cooper would not have been as great if based on the music alone.
I wonder Patrick if perhaps you are a younger fan (and I don't mean that in any patronising way) as you cite two later Alice albums as your first two albums. If you weren't around when the band broke in the early seventies this may explain you underestimating (in my opinion) the theatrical component which to me is and always has been an essential part of Alice Cooper.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 pm

>If I had to come down one way or the other I would be inclined to say that the wider cultural impact of Alice Cooper would not have been as great if based on the music alone.

That is absolutely correct.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Tbh I am happy with the amount of theatrics in the show. It's great when we get a show like Theatre Of Death, but I'm not disappointed when we get a more stripped down show like Raise The Dead.

I actually think this show has some pretty spectacular effects, but that's just me.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:38 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:further to that.....i would absolutely love to see Alice just do some small arena shows.

I pine for the days of the London Astoria again.
sadly that's one venue we will not see Alice play again since its closure in 2009
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Is the Rainbow still going??
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Presuming you mean the Rainbow as in the home of the Hollywood Vampires, yes - at least it was when I was last in LA in 2010. My fiancé and I were the only people in there and a member of staff was kind enough to unlock the upstairs bar where the "lair" itself is so I could go exploring. Sadly the sign has been graffitied (not by me!).
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Actually I meant the Rainbow in London - was a great venue, and I saw Slade there in, um....1970something...
But that sounds really cool!! Would love to go there :clap: :clap: (got any pix?)
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

>Is the Rainbow still going??

No.

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 pm

cherrypie wrote:Actually I meant the Rainbow in London - was a great venue, and I saw Slade there in, um....1970something...
But that sounds really cool!! Would love to go there :clap: :clap: (got any pix?)

That's what I get for not following a thread properly. There's a picture somewhere on my FB - probably in my profile pictures. :)
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->