For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Opening Night SPOILERS!!!!

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:42 am

For those of us who only get to see Alice every few years, I'll gladly take any setlist, anytime.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:05 am

Shoesalesman wrote:For those of us who only get to see Alice every few years, I'll gladly take any setlist, anytime.
Well because Alice only comes to New Zealand once every so often I am the opposite. Sure when it comes to "classics" that doesn't bother me in the slightest there is no overplayed Alice song because I haven't seen him all that much . However because of this I certainly do not want to see Covers.

It makes no sense to tour covers especially to places that don't see Alice all that often. No one that has seen Alice only a few times or none at all want to see a section like this.

I cant see what market he is appealing to it certainly wont please the casual concert person or the first time fan. and I cant see it pleasing a long time fan that would rather see him explore the rarities in his long discography.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:08 am

Great pics but they show very LITTLE theatrics.
For now I'm disappointed but let's wait a few shows. :(

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:10 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:
Shoesalesman wrote:For those of us who only get to see Alice every few years, I'll gladly take any setlist, anytime.
Well because Alice only comes to New Zealand once every so often I am the opposite. Sure when it comes to "classics" that doesn't bother me in the slightest there is no overplayed Alice song because I haven't seen him all that much . However because of this I certainly do not want to see Covers.

It makes no sense to tour covers especially to places that don't see Alice all that often
The thing I'm most disappointed about is that I don't like most of the covers. I love The Who but I'm not fond of the Who songs he's selected. I love the beatles but I don't really like the song Revolution. But maybe Alice will surprise me and the covers will sound great.

No matter what the show is still gonna be fantastic. It would be nice to see some more rarities or W2MN songs but Alice will still give us a great show I'm sure.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 am

mestreech wrote:Great pics but they show very LITTLE theatrics.
Exactly, other than 6 covers there seem less theatrics than the NMMNG tour.
And if he was going to do the walk on monster again would have loved it to have looked different (bit like Maiden that have a different Eddie live each tour)

Looks a cool light show, Alice has some nice outfits this time around, some good backdrops and the pyro are all good elements tho.

I guess I am only disappointed as for months Alice talked it up to be a show of theatrics and nightmare based (well I certainly was under that impression)

I am sure he will come to Australia sometime next year, and I wont snub the tour, as a fan I will be there, I just cant see it going down as one of his better tours.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:28 am

mestreech wrote:Great pics but they show very LITTLE theatrics.
Exactly, other than 6 covers there seem less theatrics than the NMMNG tour.
And if he was going to do the walk on monster again would have loved it to have looked different (bit like Maiden that have a different Eddie live each tour)

Looks a cool light show, Alice has some nice outfits this time around, some good backdrops and the pyro are all good elements tho.

I guess I am only disappointed as for months Alice talked it up to be a show of theatrics and nightmare based (well I certainly was under that impression)

I am sure he will come to Australia sometime next year, and I wont snub the tour, as a fan I will be there, I just cant see it going down as one of his better tours.

Well said. I think the reason a lot of us are disappointed is because there was so much hype bulit up for this tour. Alice talked about a whole section with songs from the Nightmare albums. He even said he's like to play Runaway Train and I Am Made Of You.

I agree that it doesn't look like one of his better tours. In fact, it doesn't look as good as last year's tour which I thought was amazing. I know I sound negative but I am still really excited about the 27th. :laugh:
And A Drink And A Smoke

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:53 am

Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:05 am

Revolution sounds surprisingly good. Foxy Lady is ok too.
And A Drink And A Smoke

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:16 am

"Wow, what negativity I can't recall seeing so many negative post's considering that hardly anyone has seen the show.

Let's not forget that the Coop is 64, lets also remember that from the minute the curtain goes up til the moment it comes back down, he is on the move continuosly, not like most singers who are stuck to the same spot all night! The strain on the man and his voice over a tour must be incredible. Give the kid a break..."

I can recall this many negative post, right after ACAS. I don't think you necessarily have to see the show to know to some degree which songs you would prefer to hear. While I don't think Alice needs any defense for his decisions (even though I disagree), I am not sure how his age is relevant. I haven't heard anyone complaining that he isn't running around a lot on stage or that he seems less energetic in any way.
I just think most people would prefer to hear Alice do Alice.

"

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47 am

What was the point of the Facebook vote?

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:23 am

Considering the work that went into the staging for that part of the show I do not know if I can see it going away.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:44 am

Desperado22 wrote:
Shoesalesman wrote: The thing I'm most disappointed about is that I don't like most of the covers. I love The Who but I'm not fond of the Who songs he's selected. I love the beatles but I don't really like the song Revolution. But maybe Alice will surprise me and the covers will sound great.
This is the most relevant point of all, in my opinion. It's a pretty big assumption that the majority of the audience will be fans of these bands and especially the songs chosen. I actually like all of the bands in the question but I have no interest at all in seeing Alice (or any of my other favourites) covering more than one of these tunes at any particular gig. One or two covers is fine by me, any more than that and it's self indulgent.

As I said elsewhere, Alice pops up in charity jams with other legendary rockers often enough to satisfy his desire to perform these songs. These audiences are happy to pay to see a show like that, I doubt very much that this will be a popular decision for the fans going to this tour.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:02 am

bigbradwolf wrote:What was the point of the Facebook vote?
Mr Cooper ? :8):

Sarah
Killer
Killer

Post by Sarah » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:23 am

I understand this. It's not that often I get to see him, so I'm really excited.

I was a little disappointed at the lack of W2MN songs when I saw the setlist, but we'll see what happens next week. I trust it's going to be a fantastic show as always.

Lisacooper91
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Lisacooper91 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics, RemarkablyInsincere.
Disappointing, to say the least. It looks kinda... dull. Compared to what we're used to see from Alice. I thought they were building new theatrical stuff? I remember reading things about that and everybody getting all excited... And instead, we just get the Frankenstein monster which has been around for quite some time now? Yes, I do love that Frankenmonster, but I was hoping for something new.

The pyro stuff looks cool though!

The tourname "Raise the dead" does make sense now though, with those covers... Espcially if you look at those backdrops with the tombstones on them with the names of musicians who passed away.

Don't have any tickets for this tour (yet), if he'll come to The Netherlands I will definitely get them, since it's Alice... but I won't be traveling to any other country this time, methinks...
The sanest days are mad.

GAZZ
Trash
Trash

Post by GAZZ » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:21 pm

The 1 thing I'm hoping for is that the show in new york was a run through and a stripped down show because most of the stage and props have already been shipped over here in the UK ready for the start of the tour and I so much hope I'm right in this . iv been watching this thread since it started on Saturday and have held back my comments till now . everyone is entitled to there own opinion and know one can say who's right or wrong I have been an Alice fan since 1981 and have seen him on EVERY tour he has done in the UK from the special forces tour up till this tour but I will be very disappointed if this is the show he will be doing over here from all the talk about how the tour was going to be by Alice himself I thought it would be full of theatrics and more on the lines of the nightmare returns 1986 tour or brutal planet tour or theater of death tour and I DON'T want to see him do covers of any artist at all . if I wanted to see a band do covers I would go to a local pub or club to see a band do that for free . I pay for a ticket to see Alice cooper do a Alice cooper show and do Alice cooper songs not covers . my hope is when the tour stars in Cardiff on Wednesday I will see a full blown Alice show with the full theatrics and the covers cut out or cut down to 3 at the most but I'm not holding my breath for it and if the covers stay in I will be going back to the hotel early at Cardiff and Wembley and Sheffield ::((:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:44 pm

GAZZ wrote:The 1 thing I'm hoping for is that the show in new york was a run through and a stripped down show because most of the stage and props have already been shipped over here in the UK ready for the start of the tour and I so much hope I'm right in this .
I highly doubt that. They rehearsed for most of the week for a reason.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Love it. Very well done! There's nothing wrong with a cover, when it's well done. You won't find a bigger fan of Madonna than me, but I must say that I prefer this cover of Live to Tell, than the original.

http://youtu.be/nn3gEnYC428
[

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:19 pm

I gotta admit I am somewhat dissapointed, maybe not as much as many others but still not happy. I too obviously want to see Alice do his own songs because he has no shortage of material. This all seems quite absurd in negative way. And like someone pointed out it is dangerous from Alice to assume that most of his fans are fans of these classic rock bands. Alice's varied discography draws audience from all kinds of music circles and I am sure some of the fans will be alienated when they hear him cover bands like Beatles and The Doors.

Ironically it may have been a safer choice to perform material from albums like Zipper catches skin, DaDa or Raise your fist and yell instead of covers. Because I think even casual fans prefer Alice doing his own material.

I hope I'm not being too optimistic but I can definitely see Alice dropping one or two of those covers as the tour continues and replacing them with AC originals. I currently believe this first gig being some sort of run through, so there will probably be more theatrics on upcoming shows. I don't see them being anywhere near as theatrical as Theater of death though. But on his less theatrical tours there is usually more changes on the setlist.

Still most of the set is Alice material and Alice has great kick ass musicians to deliver it. The Alice Cooper part of the set is fine with me though not spectacular. Minor changes on the setlist like dropping two covers and replacing them with AC originals would make a major difference to me.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Lisacooper91 wrote:
Diane D. wrote: House of Fire is great. Too bad there is no ballad... ::((: oh well...
Ballad of Dwight Fry?
Oh yeah... There is ballad of Dwight Fry. It's a ballad, nothing comparable to Pretty Ballerina, but it is.
[