For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

billiondollar18
Trash
Trash

Re: Opening Night SPOILERS!!!!

Post by billiondollar18 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Quite a few people are saying that "the set could well change as the tour moves on.Unfortunatley for me i can only make the first night in Cardiff so this does not soften the blow for me personally.The blow being im not a fan of the artists and songs that Alice is covering.This left me asking myself this question,if i had been forwarned of what the show was going to consist of before buying a ticket,would i have still purchased one? and the answere is probably not.Still a fan,just a dissapointed one

The Spider
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The Spider » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

alicebackstage wrote:
bigbradwolf wrote:What was the point of the Facebook vote?
The point was to give fans a voice. Someone has to go to bat for the fans to provide needed ammo when the set was being pieced together to try to slide in songs that fans really wanted to hear. Understand that there are songs that Alice HAS to play, because promoters and fans expect to see them. So, that takes some variety out of the set. This show has a covers section, and like it or not Alice can pay tribute to his friends if he wants to. But, that being said that's now less room for variation as well, which is indeed frustrating when constructing a setlist. But I think given the circumstances and the input, Alice did pretty good off the bat. Some perspective...

#1 - Poison - IN THE SET
#2 - Bed Of Nails - A great song, but Alice won't play this live due to it's lyrical content.
#3 - He's Back - Was REHEARSED, and sounded great. Was in the set up until show day. May still see this one.
#4 - School's Out - Classic, can't loose this one
#5 - Nice Guy - Same as School's Out
#6 - Frankenstein - IN THE SET
#7 - Dwight Frye - IN THE SET
#8 - Hell Is Living Without You - Great suggestion and was DISCUSSED.
#9 - Love's A Loaded Gun - Another good suggestion that was DISCUSSED.
#10 - Might As Well Be On Mars - Yet another good one.
#11 - House Of Fire - IN THE SET
#12 - Hey Stoopid - IN THE SET
#13 - Steven - Tried to do a Steven/I Am Made Of You medley, but it didn't work without the piano. It WAS rehearsed though.
#14 - Generation Landslide - Personally I'd love to see this one.
#15 - Welcome To My Nightmare - IN THE SET

The point is, 9 out of the top 15 are in the set, but EVERYTHING in the top 15 was actually discussed. Several were surprises. He's Back for example was high on the list and was rehearsed a LOT, but it wouldn't have ever been considered without the poll. Same goes for Loaded Gun, Mars and Hell Is Living Without You. Those are songs that aren't on the "go to" list of songs when setlists are being put together. But now they will be, because we know fans want to hear them.

Believe me, the powers that be read this forum. Alice hears you. And if something isn't working in the set, he's not going to leave it there. There's been one show, and there will be many more. Plenty of time to make changes if they are warranted. Step away from the ledge folks. Lets see where this one goes
Couldn't agree more and thank you for the extra info. There have been so many negative comments on here so far that it's unreal, especially when hardly any of you have even seen the show yourselves. If Alice wants to pay tribute to his old friends, then let him. Have you heard his version of Foxy Lady and Revolution. They are amazing and make the set interesting. Even if it seems that 6 covers may be too much, go to the show, give it a try, then complain if you don't like it. Like I've said many times in this thread, at least Alice is still out there touring for us, so what for ONE tour he wants to do something he wants for a change. Let him do it and support him. GO ALICE!!
You're all Dirty Little Diamonds
www.davidyoung-music.co.uk

Awakening
Killer
Killer

Post by Awakening » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 pm

If a medley Steven/I Am Made ofyou has been rehearsed, they NEED to find someone for the piano part... Well, FrankenAlice ?

Most seriously, I think the concept of a tribute section works well. It makes sense, ok. The only thing is that most of the fans really love W2MN and would love to see it takes shape on stage.

By the way, 'Brutal Planet' was one of the rarity from the NMMNG Tour, let put a Raise The Dead proper rarity ;-). If He's Back is on the way, it could be cool.

Anyway, I hope the band will come in France.
I'm sure I'll be pleantly satisfied and happy in front of the stage.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:14 pm

NotSoPerfect wrote:
Diane D. wrote:How do you know all that, Alicebackstage? How do you know that some songs have been rehearsed? Are you from Alice'screw? From where you take your perspective?
Alicebackstage would be Alice's personal assistant. He knows of what he types.
Ah, OK. I can see that you know Alice's entourage, it's not the case of every fans. Thanks.
[

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Was it a complete Hello Hurray or truncated?
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:01 pm

IMO Alice cannot do a bad set,and I am thankful he is touring at all at 64. If he retired tomorrow,we'd cherish this concert. C'mon guys....

The Spider
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The Spider » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:16 pm

scotty wrote:IMO Alice cannot do a bad set,and I am thankful he is touring at all at 64. If he retired tomorrow,we'd cherish this concert. C'mon guys....
Exactly my point Scotty! :clap:
You're all Dirty Little Diamonds
www.davidyoung-music.co.uk

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Apart from the covers, I think the setlist is quite good. Of course I would prefer the covers to be replaced by AC songs, but apart from that It's not a bad setlist imo.

Although, if he is only gonna perform two songs ( :( ) from W2MN I wish he had chosen something other than Congregation. I think I may be in the minority here but that's actually my least favourite from W2MN lol. However, I think that song is quite popular amongst most fans so I understand why he chose it.

All he needs to do now is drop the covers and replace them with material from RYFAY and W2MN lol. Oh well, we can't have everything lol.
Last edited by Desperado22 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:55 pm

scotty wrote:IMO Alice cannot do a bad set,and I am thankful he is touring at all at 64. If he retired tomorrow,we'd cherish this concert. C'mon guys....
Of course... My first concert was in 1999, not in the seventies. To me, it is recent, I don't want Alice to retire. Please don't retire, Alice. :alice:
[

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Someone said a couple of pages back that Alice won't play Bed Of Nails anymore due to his Christian faith. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he play it a few time a couple of years back? I might be wrong though.
And A Drink And A Smoke

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:15 pm

[

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 pm

I for one cant wait for The Congregation, Hello Hooray and House of fire.
Alice has so many great songs and the fact he has his own music on over the PA before his gigs is a testament to some of the great songs he has done. This is the reason I have the problem with the covers because to hear another few Alice tracks is obviously a bonus in my eyes.

When I first heard W2MN it did strike me that the tracks probably werent 'live tracks' on the basis that they were complex songs. As mentioned with no keys players on the current tour ruled out I am made of you and The Nightmare returns. Last Man on Earth (pipes - wouldnt have worked on guitar) and DBBF (didnt come across as a live track). Confused as to why Caffeines been removed - cause I loved that at Bloodstock!

But its UK tour time again and I'm buzzing for it! Love watching the master! :rock:

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Diane D. wrote:Here you go, Desperado22.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/alice ... d+of+Nails
:clap: Thanks.
And A Drink And A Smoke

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:50 pm

NotSoPerfect wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:
Mick Jagger, Brian Johnson, both older than Alice, don't stay still on stage, Ozzy, less than a year younger than Alice, he doesn't stay still either.
True. BUT, you also have to keep in mind that it VERY often seems that Alice has a busier touring schedule than many of those men/groups. I was just looking around the internet, and found a tour schedule for the Stones from '05. (and one on the same site from 97/98). The vast majority of the time, there are 2-3 days in between dates.
http://www.iorr.org/tour05/index.htm
And when there weren't those gaps, they tended to be staying at the same venue.

That means they're doing 2-4 dates in a week, where Alice often does 5-6. Just think of the Iron Maiden tour schedule. On the Maiden OFF days, Alice was sometimes slotting in his own headlining dates.

And I have a friend who was going to go to the cancelled Aerosmith show this past June. In an 11 day period, Alice did 7 shows (which more before that as his tour started earlier) and Aerosmith did 4. Alice kept going, and Aerosmith had to take a day off, as Steven's voice was already having issues.

Have to agree with you there, is there any act Alice's age OR EVEN NEW BANDS for that matter that can compete with his touring schedule?

You can even add KISS to that list look at there huge gaps between touring legs. Iron Maiden just came off a 3 month tour of the states and are now not doing more shows until June next year!

And on top of all that touring since 2000 he has also found time to release 6 albums! how many (if any) acts from the 70s can say that?

Every tour he does find ways to make the show seem different, even this tour looks nothing like the previous NMMNG show.

But I think every fan, even the casual read about alice having this reputation of putting on big theatrical shows, and when he tours something so stripped down it can be easy to get disappointed.

This tour seems to have great ideas, backdrop changes, pyro, great costumes, great light show, good tour name.

If it had a bit more theatrics like 2 executions, a new monster created other than the same as last year, and a new twist this tour would be stunning.

The set is OK and I do have a problem with so many covers, replace 3 with 3 from the new nightmare and I would be happier.

So in summary its a good tour with good ideas, it just falls short for me, it lacks the "WOW" factor we all know Alice is capable of.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:53 pm

I know Motorhead have a pretty intense touring year and they release an album every two years. Lemmy is nearly 67 so that's quite impressive. That being said, Lemmy doesn't really move around the stage like Alice does.
And A Drink And A Smoke

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:57 pm

alicebackstage wrote:
bigbradwolf wrote:What was the point of the Facebook vote?
The point was to give fans a voice. Someone has to go to bat for the fans to provide needed ammo when the set was being pieced together to try to slide in songs that fans really wanted to hear. Understand that there are songs that Alice HAS to play, because promoters and fans expect to see them. So, that takes some variety out of the set. This show has a covers section, and like it or not Alice can pay tribute to his friends if he wants to. But, that being said that's now less room for variation as well, which is indeed frustrating when constructing a setlist. But I think given the circumstances and the input, Alice did pretty good off the bat. Some perspective...

#1 - Poison - IN THE SET
#2 - Bed Of Nails - A great song, but Alice won't play this live due to it's lyrical content.
#3 - He's Back - Was REHEARSED, and sounded great. Was in the set up until show day. May still see this one.
#4 - School's Out - Classic, can't loose this one
#5 - Nice Guy - Same as School's Out
#6 - Frankenstein - IN THE SET
#7 - Dwight Frye - IN THE SET
#8 - Hell Is Living Without You - Great suggestion and was DISCUSSED.
#9 - Love's A Loaded Gun - Another good suggestion that was DISCUSSED.
#10 - Might As Well Be On Mars - Yet another good one.
#11 - House Of Fire - IN THE SET
#12 - Hey Stoopid - IN THE SET
#13 - Steven - Tried to do a Steven/I Am Made Of You medley, but it didn't work without the piano. It WAS rehearsed though.
#14 - Generation Landslide - Personally I'd love to see this one.
#15 - Welcome To My Nightmare - IN THE SET

The point is, 9 out of the top 15 are in the set, but EVERYTHING in the top 15 was actually discussed. Several were surprises. He's Back for example was high on the list and was rehearsed a LOT, but it wouldn't have ever been considered without the poll. Same goes for Loaded Gun, Mars and Hell Is Living Without You. Those are songs that aren't on the "go to" list of songs when setlists are being put together. But now they will be, because we know fans want to hear them.

Believe me, the powers that be read this forum. Alice hears you. And if something isn't working in the set, he's not going to leave it there. There's been one show, and there will be many more. Plenty of time to make changes if they are warranted. Step away from the ledge folks. Lets see where this one goes

Thats where I still have a problem to me the set would be SOOOOO much more better looking even with 6 covers if he decided to chuck in :

He's Back
Loves A Loaded Gun / Hell Is Living Without You

And if the only reason the steven / I am made of you medley didnt work was because something as simple as a piano THEY NEED TO FIND A WAY because personally that would warrent ticket price alone for me. Alice could play anything before and after and I wouldnt care.

so basically the only songs added in the top 15 were "safe" choices of songs he has played in the last tours already, so really he didnt even need the poll, if all Alice did was discuss something then go meh. wont add it.

just my take.
Last edited by Somwhere In Auckland on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 am

If you read what you quoted, it is still a definite possibility that "He's Back" will be in the set.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:04 am

Desperado22 wrote:I know Motorhead have a pretty intense touring year and they release an album every two years. Lemmy is nearly 67 so that's quite impressive. That being said, Lemmy doesn't really move around the stage like Alice does.
He would be the closest to Alice for sure. But as you just said Lemmy only stands glued to the mic for the whole show.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:If you read what you quoted, it is still a definite possibility that "He's Back" will be in the set.

And I really hope it is. Sweden have a love affair with it, :laugh:

Would have loved to have seen Loves a loaded gun, especially replace only women bleed. That is such a cool song and it sounded great on the 91 tour.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:08 am

It would be great to see He's Back added into the set. Love that track.

They could have Alice fight with Jason lol.
And A Drink And A Smoke