For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Opening Night SPOILERS!!!!

Post by Si » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 pm

alicebackstage wrote:Jason came out during the guitar solo to "remove" someone who was on stage.
That "someone" would be Alicebackstage.

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 pm

We have different opinions, not all of us want to hear covers.

Have you heard them yet?
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Not going to go into the set etc in any great detail, just a couple of points.

The main problem with the covers for me is NOT how they play them, but that they play them at all, and WHERE they play them.
If I pay to see Alice Cooper I want to see him do Alice Cooper songs. He has the best back catalogue in rock (IMHO) and much/most of his own material is better then the cover songs.

Doing a cover or two in the ENCORE is cool. The main show is over and it's the time everyone can just have a bit of fun with stuff. That's always worked great in the past, but to have the theme of the show based around other people's songs just doesn't sit right with me.

Alice has spent 40 years building the character of Alice. The *character* of Alice Cooper, to quote a friend a couple of days ago, is simply too arrogant to consider playing other people's songs. It would be beneath him. What we have is Alice coming out of character during the main show. That's wrong. It's fantastic when he does things like the 100 CLub and Whiskey shows, but this is "The Alice Cooper Show".

Wolverhampton setlist was a great improvement, as the extra songs gave them time to build things up again after the covers. Plus the whole vibe at Wolves was much better then Cardiff and it's ridiculous security at the front which killed the first half of the show for many down there. Wolves was better in every respect, but I stand by my points above.

To finish:
Would you rather see Alice do 'My Stars' or 'My Generation'?

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:54 pm

MY STARS!!!

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:05 pm

cherrypie wrote:

Have you heard them yet?
No, and don't want to, read what i wrote, we all have different opinions.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:09 pm

May i also add, Hello Hooray is a cover song, but it was included in an Alice Cooper album, which although is not really an AC song, it is not generally known ss a cover, the ones played on tour, most people will know they are covers.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:34 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:
cherrypie wrote:

Have you heard them yet?
No, and don't want to, read what i wrote, we all have different opinions.
Well, sorry, but they are all bloody brilliant live, you should maybe see him doing them ?

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:some of the posts in this thread were like rats deserting a sinking ship, except the ship isn't sinking.
I wasn't just referring to that but the general slagging Alice has taken in this thread.

I'd be happy to see a cover dropped if it meant a classic like My Stars coming in but I'd take a classic cover over Dirty Diamonds every time!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:No one is deserting the ship, just complaining bout the first treatment we got from the personel of the ship hahaha
ever thought comedy ain't your bag?
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:33 am

steven wrote:
"GNDM is right more people at these gigs will have heard those covers than some obscure album track that didn't shift many units, this is the music business afterall and some of you need to realise that."

I don't think that is valid argument, as it could argued ad infinitum to replace almost all of Alice's songs with Smoke On the Water, Stairway to Heaven, etc. to the set because more people know these tunes. I am not sure that it is really a sound business move as I belief most people come to an Alice show for an Alice experience (his brand of theatrics, his songs, etc.) not merely for well-known songs.

I definitely prefer Dirty Diamonds (although there are many I would have chosen before this) over any of the covers.
Of course, I am also happy for Chuck that this is back in.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:43 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>nonsense. there is a solo on the studio version..and i think on "trashes the world"....weird story.

I think I know what he meant. There is very little time between the verse and the chorus. That might be it.
Probably... I remember some years back one of the band members alluded to the reason "Serious" was dropped after a couple of shows as "it shreds our singer's voice".

So sometimes there are legitimate reasons a song isn't performed live.... and it's not because he can't sing it, it's because he can't sing it night after night after night after night on a long tour.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:59 am

>So sometimes there are legitimate reasons a song isn't performed live.... and it's not because he can't sing it, it's because he can't sing it night after night after night after night on a long tour.

Exactly.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:02 pm

ThePainAddict wrote:steven wrote:
"GNDM is right more people at these gigs will have heard those covers than some obscure album track that didn't shift many units, this is the music business afterall and some of you need to realise that."

I don't think that is valid argument, as it could argued ad infinitum to replace almost all of Alice's songs with Smoke On the Water, Stairway to Heaven, etc. to the set because more people know these tunes. I am not sure that it is really a sound business move as I belief most people come to an Alice show for an Alice experience (his brand of theatrics, his songs, etc.) not merely for well-known songs.

I definitely prefer Dirty Diamonds (although there are many I would have chosen before this) over any of the covers.
Of course, I am also happy for Chuck that this is back in.

He's only doing 4 covers and it is part of a trubute section to his dead rock star pals in the show not just random cover versions.

No one is saying drop classic Cooper, or some of the less heard or newer songs for covers but, Chuck has co written better stuff than Dirty Diamonds, such as Steal That Car an Woman Of Mass Distraction.

Personally I wish that this show was the whole of the last album with the original nightmare and some other Cooper classics, but the music business being what it is the last album didn't sell enough to warrant a whole show around it and it will never happen now.

charlie2times
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by charlie2times » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:08 pm

If he's got to do covers, then i think that songs that's made his own would be much better. Hello Hurray obviously, but also Clones and the awesome Sun Arise.
What with the new Bond film, what about the most awesome bond song never used, The Man with the Golden Gun?

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:35 pm

No problem with the songs you have suggested but the show has been designed with the Jim, John, Jimi & Keith dead rock star tribute so can't see any of those 4 being dropped.

Man With The Golden Gun would be a great choice but momentum is building for the late inclusion of My Stars, and remember it was done live in 73 so it could be done and could replace a lesser Alice song even without keyboards.

My Stars was the second most popular song in the seventies song survivor vote off I did on this forum a few years back.

More popular than Dwight Fry and only below Halo Of Flies.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:44 pm

this thing about songs not being done if keyboards are prominent on the record is a shame and makes me think it is time Alice got a keyboard player back in the band

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:49 pm

could they pull it off without keyboards? I think they could even though it would sound better with, Tommy I've heard can play keys, get it learnt guys!

http://youtu.be/Kbl9sLqbUDc

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:54 pm

I applaud Alice for doing a tribute to Hendrix, Keith Moon, John Lennon, and Jim Morrison. People here scream all the time for Alice to "do something new"....then when he does, fans complain that it "isn't what we want". I think he has always done an excellent job of trying to please hardcore fans and the general public (walk-up sales). I understand that the cover songs mean less to the 'kids' here....but the original band was a cover band, and I like the fact that he is (again) stretching himself musically. Face it people....Mr. Cooper could easily be touring with other 60-70's bands on an oldies tour somewhere. Enjoy what you get and learn to put your 'fantasies and desires' on hold - at least a little.

Steven....tell Alice to get a baby grand on stage and do "The Lady is a Tramp".

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:42 pm

The tribute I Think it's great if you think about it it's fair...All of us in his possition would love to pay a tribute to our friends, old friends that died in their way a way we succeeded...but As I Say, the problem in the show is the lack of theatrics or the lack of something "new" in the show, things that were expected because of what Alice said. Still a good show, I Loved his version of My Generation, but I Prefer Back Door Man than Break On Through ( that suits him best) And prefer Fire than Foxy Lady... Adn revolution fits like a Globe so much fun listening to him singing that !

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Steven wrote:
"He's only doing 4 covers and it is part of a trubute section to his dead rock star pals in the show not just random cover versions.

No one is saying drop classic Cooper, or some of the less heard or newer songs for covers but, Chuck has co written better stuff than Dirty Diamonds, such as Steal That Car an Woman Of Mass Distraction.

Personally I wish that this show was the whole of the last album with the original nightmare and some other Cooper classics, but the music business being what it is the last album didn't sell enough to warrant a whole show around it and it will never happen now."

I was merely referring to your line of arguement. While 4 songs may not seem like much I think it is a pretty significant number of covers for an artist of Alice's stature. Of course, if you agree with the concept of including a "tribute" in the midst of the set, it isn't really than many. I just don't like this concept.

I also agree that Chuck has written better songs (although I don't care for StC). I merely stated this as Chuck mentioned he was surprised, and disappointed, when DD was dropped.

I completely agree that W2MN wasn't enough of a commercial success to really validate building a whole show around. Although, if it was truly incorporated into the original WtMN concept, it could allow for a bit more prominence.