For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Trezzo sull'Adda - Italy - 10/14/2011

Post by Spot and Jerome » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:36 pm

So much has been already said on the NMMNG tour I'll try not to repeat, but I want to share some random impressions and smaller details from yesterday's show.
It was very good, having seen the TOD show last year the comparison is inevitable, and this one is, well, a little less. Still very good.

The venue was sold out, but it was sold out last year too and it was a bigger one, so it seems a little strange that this year AC was in a smaller one, but who cares.

The opening with The Black Widow is just great, very dark, powerful, heavy. Fantastic start.

Alice's hair immediately caught my attention... it looks as it has been cut away by the guilliotine, short on his neck though combed up to make it look longer, really weird... he looked like an old lady haha

I was stage left, quite near, so could see and hear Orianthi better than Steve Hunter. She's great, played very very well, and got a lot of crowd roars. It's a pity I could not hear Steve that well, but he was clearly magnificent too.

The whole band is really strong, Glen is always busy with sticks flying and he missed them a couple times. Chuck is always great, but I have to say I was blown away by Tommy, he's really the "driving force" of the band, very solid rhythm guitar work, awesome stage presence, clearly he has a great feeling with Alice and I hope he'll stay for a long long time, both as a live musician and as a songwriter and studio collaborator. He played smoking RnR solos on Under my wheels and Cold Ethyl too. The only reason I can think AC could fire him is, well... he's so cute he steals the show, I've been watching him more than Alice himself, which means I'm in love ;)

Alice was in good vocal shape, maybe not excellent. I noticed how much fun and energy he had on I'll Bite Your Face Off and Wicked Young Man, he clearly loves those songs, but on the rest of the set he seemed a little tired.
In particular, I don't love IBYFO but it is a great live song, and it was extremely amusing to see Alice literally dancing around the stage on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuKVlyOl7cI

A couple songs Alice seems to ALWAYS sing out of key: Brutal Planet and Poison. The first is still great to hear live, the latter is very often a disaster in vocal harmonies, but the crowds always roar, so I can live with it.

About Orianthi again: she's a good singer from some videos I've seen, so it is disappointing that she does so little backing vocals. A good female voice could add a lot on certain songs.

Still on "the feminine side": Sheryl was on one side of the stage, near the stage mixer (I suppose) and she watched the whole show from there. I had never seen her live, she IS beautiful! Karen Ann was there too, dressed like a 15 years old metal fan in some tight jeans and black t-shirt, cool :8):

Hey stoopid: very good version, sound better now than on previous tours IMO. Got some very loud crowd singing. Steve's phrasing on the chorus is magic!

Halo of flies: except for a little vocal strain on higher notes, it was orgasmic. 'Nuff said.

Only women bleed: the arrangement is now so stripped down that it sounds "empty". Played this way, I really missed (Keri's) acoustic guitar.

Clones: my dream of hearing it live has finally come true. Highest peek of joy of the night for me, would have paid the ticket just for this one!

I love the dead: "it's the little things" someone said, and here it is! On the final chorus, on the two short pauses, Ori and Steve place some delicate finger-picked phrases... WOW!

I was hoping for the big surprise, meaning the inclusion of Caffeine as Alice said in some interview they would try to throw it into the setlist, sadly it didn't happen.
Could have been a good idea IMO to throw We gotta get out of this place in, as they have played it at the 100 club and Whisky, just to add something "new". I know music and marketing are very different now than they were a few years ago, but still I have a problem with a tour that includes only one song from a fantastic new album. Hope next year I'll be blown away by a new wonderful Nightmare!

Finally, a friend of mine has won a meet & greet in a competition, very cool for him, and for me too as he got my Classic Rock poster and an Alice's photo autographed for me :rock:
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Trezzo sull'Adda - Italy - 10/14/2011

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Spot and Jerome wrote:but still I have a problem with a tour that includes only one song from a fantastic new album.
Glad you had a good time.

No doubt it's going to be hard for Alice to fit a whole bunch of new songs into two hours with all the classics and standards. He does pull off a great setlist though, regardless of what's chosen.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:48 pm

I had missed this great review! Thanks for posting!

I just came home after seeing the show yesterday night. And I agree with a lot of the things you mention. For me "Clones" is also a big dream come true, I adore that song.

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Dragonlady wrote:I had missed this great review! Thanks for posting!

I just came home after seeing the show yesterday night. And I agree with a lot of the things you mention. For me "Clones" is also a big dream come true, I adore that song.
Thank you for your review too!
I read about the fight and it is sad.
In Trezzo I was quite near the stage but on a sort of "terrace" stage left. I miss the right English word, but it is a small area which is a little higher than the floor, just enough to see over peoples' heads. It was a good position as people there were quiet. Usually I enjoy shows from near the mixer cause it is the best spot to hear everything well, but this time this area gave me the opportunity to be near the stage without getting crushed by the crowd, which I always avoid.

Lovesaloadedgun
Killer
Killer

Post by Lovesaloadedgun » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:52 pm

I went to that concert too! I was really close to him and he looked me in the eyes twice.. I was melting, LOL.
It was an AMAZING show, i cried a lot (yes, i'm so stoopid, i know).
I loved Feed My Fankenstein, one of my favorite songs, Under My Wheels, No More Mr Nice Guy, Cold Ethyl, I'm Eighteen, Poison, School's Out, Hey Stoopid, Elected, Is It My Body.. Ok, I loved every song.
I wish he had sung Caffeine insted of I'll Bite Your Face Off or What Baby Wants. I think WBW could have been great with Orianthi on vocals!
I like Orianthi, she's very good and nice and i like her sound.
The only thing is that the place wasn't very big (even if i got to stay in front of him, hehe.)
Btw, I got a lot of good pictures so if you want to see them just tell me and i'll post some of them!

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Lovesaloadedgun wrote: Btw, I got a lot of good pictures so if you want to see them just tell me and i'll post some of them!
I'd love to ;)

Lovesaloadedgun
Killer
Killer

Post by Lovesaloadedgun » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Spot and Jerome wrote:
Lovesaloadedgun wrote: Btw, I got a lot of good pictures so if you want to see them just tell me and i'll post some of them!
I'd love to ;)
Appena scopro dove posso postarle.

Where can I post some pics of the show?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:50 pm

If you send them to me I can put them up in the photo section, or there are lots of free sites that do photo hosting like Flicker.

Lovesaloadedgun
Killer
Killer

Post by Lovesaloadedgun » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Ok, i uploaded some pics here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovesaloadedgun/

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Lovesaloadedgun wrote:Ok, i uploaded some pics here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovesaloadedgun/
Very nice, thanx!