For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

iluvmetal28
Trash
Trash

Where Alice Cooper plays.

Post by iluvmetal28 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:45 pm

This may be a stupid question...but me and a lot of my friends have been discussing this. Now don't get me wrong we are die hard Alice fans we just wonder one thing. Alice is getting older now and he's a rock legend. Why is he still playing in the theatres and small venues? I mean Alice Cooper is a great performer and could sell out a stadium if he wanted to!! Why do you guys think he plays the small, small venues?? :rock: I have been wondering this for a while now.

TEENAGE NITEMARE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Where Alice Cooper plays.

Post by TEENAGE NITEMARE » Thu May 27, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm not sure if i agree with you or not on this, I mean Alice could possibly play arena's but if you look at it from a financial perspective its better to completly sell out a smaller arena than playing a big arena.

On Alice's last tour here in australia he played mostly exhibition halls holding around 2000 and they all sold basically sold out.
its alot cheaper to hire a venue that size and have it sell out than try and sell out say a 15000 seat arena because then if it doesn't sell out the money made from merchandise then has to go in to paying the venue fees

Also I think alice playing to crowds of around 2000n is good it creates a sort of intimacy, and a feeling of interaction between the fans.
That aint no big disgrace, where's my makeup where's my face

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri May 28, 2010 2:05 am

I mean Alice Cooper is a great performer and could sell out a stadium if he wanted to!
When was the last time you've known him to do that on his own?
Me = Winning

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri May 28, 2010 9:23 am

>if it doesn't sell out the money made from merchandise then has to go in to paying the venue fees

No. The promoter pays those.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Fri May 28, 2010 3:54 pm

1. I think his show is best suited to theaters and he prefers the close up interaction with the audience. Many fans of super groups would much prefer theaters to arenas and stadiums. Be glad you can experience Coop this way.

2. It is difficult to sell out arenas when you saturate the same markets every year.

3. He seems to be enjoying the daily current golf/show routine and not dealing with big productions and days off between shows. He is comfortable and having the time of his life. Why add a lot of stress at this stage of his life?
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri May 28, 2010 5:56 pm

iluvmetal28 wrote:This may be a stupid question...but me and a lot of my friends have been discussing this. Now don't get me wrong we are die hard Alice fans we just wonder one thing. Alice is getting older now and he's a rock legend. Why is he still playing in the theatres and small venues? I mean Alice Cooper is a great performer and could sell out a stadium if he wanted to!! Why do you guys think he plays the small, small venues?? :rock: I have been wondering this for a while now.
you and your friends are being very unrealistic. if alice could fill larger venues, don't you think he would be booked to perform in larger venues?????

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri May 28, 2010 5:57 pm

TEENAGE NITEMARE wrote:its alot cheaper to hire a venue that size and have it sell out than try and sell out say a 15000 seat arena because then if it doesn't sell out the money made from merchandise then has to go in to paying the venue fees
uh, no.

TonyfromNH
Killer
Killer

Post by TonyfromNH » Fri May 28, 2010 7:14 pm

iluvmetal28 wrote:I mean Alice Cooper is a great performer and could sell out a stadium if he wanted to!!
[/quote]

You are correct, he could easily sellout the stadium that The Sanford Mainers (baseball team here in new England) play. Think it holds 1500. :)
I love a waitress who loves to...flirt!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri May 28, 2010 8:21 pm

TEENAGE NITEMARE wrote:Also I think alice playing to crowds of around 2000n is good it creates a sort of intimacy, and a feeling of interaction between the fans.
I would agree with that. I'd prefer to see Alice in a smaller venue as it adds to the fullness, whereas a half filled stadium seems to give the opposite appearance.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Lisacooper91
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Lisacooper91 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Shoesalesman wrote: I would agree with that. I'd prefer to see Alice in a smaller venue as it adds to the fullness, whereas a half filled stadium seems to give the opposite appearance.
exactly!
and when you're so far away from the stage you can't really witness all the amazingness of Alice his show. there are just so many details! just like someone (can't remember who, probably Dragonlady) said before on this forum: during Ballad of Dwight Fry, you really have to be front row-ish to experience it, to see the madness in his eyes.
if you see all his emotions and such, then you believe everything he's singing.

it's not just a concert, he's telling a story!

and in smaller venues you can experience this so much better.
The sanest days are mad.

iluvmetal28
Trash
Trash

Post by iluvmetal28 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:17 am

OK. I guess what I'm trying to say is Alice deserves better and should be selling out bigger venues. But if he enjoys what he does (performing in small places and putting on a hell of a show) then that's all that matters. :rock:

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Sat May 29, 2010 10:55 am

I have been to stadium gigs on Dirty Diamonds and Psycho drama tours. Non where sell outs. Much better in a packed, sell out theatre.
...And personally, I don't care.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Sat May 29, 2010 11:46 am

Stadium and arena's are two different things.. Alice did not play any stadiums in the UK on the DD or Psycho drama tours. :8):
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Sat May 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Jaded, sorry, wrong termination by me. I ment, of course, arenas!

:smack: :smack: :smack:
...And personally, I don't care.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sat May 29, 2010 3:32 pm

I am with Dave totally on this. Saw TOD at Manchester Apollo and then got tickets for Nottingham on strength of show and the relatively small theatres it was performed in.To my mind MEN, NEC gigs (two arenas where I have seen Alice shows) are just not the same-not Alice's fault it's just that the props / stage sets which look spectacular in smaller venues just seem to get lost in the scale of the bigger arenas. Alice in the smaller theatres any day for me!

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Sat May 29, 2010 4:42 pm

iluvmetal28 wrote:I mean Alice Cooper is a great performer and could sell out a stadium if he wanted to!!
Completely agree that Alice is a great performer, but as to the statement that he "could sell out a stadium", with the best will in the world I really do not think that he could. My personal opinion is that the smaller venues work better for Alice given the highly visual element to his shows, particularly the current Theatre of Death show.

I've seen various shows in various places from large open air venues (Milton Keynes Bowl) to small theatres (850 seat Orleans Showroom in Las Vegas) and would prefer a smaller venue every time.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 29, 2010 7:35 pm

>My personal opinion is that the smaller venues work better for Alice

It would be so ironic if someone who yearned for Alice to perform in some enormous venue, ended up being in the very back row.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sun May 30, 2010 12:51 am

i think all the fans who usually hog the front row(s) should be forced to watch all future shows from the very back. unless they buy a vip package, of course.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Sun May 30, 2010 4:39 am

...And people who have been confirmed as "creepy" should also sit in the balcony..

They should also get rid of press pits to fit in more VIP's
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sun May 30, 2010 10:01 am

Not my photo (I was at the red arrow), but this shows Coop at a large venue a few years ago at Churchill Downs. Half the crowd was getting beer or waiting in line at the bathrooms. The band could barely get picks over the sacred hedges. It is an entirely different experience.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/G ... ngCoop.jpg
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!