For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Box office Count

Post by KeithGale » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 pm

This is commonly known as Box Score and the information is compiled by data supplied to Music Week magazine from the promoters:
Promoter: Live Nation:Brighton Centre: Attendance: 3,412: Gross: £110,890.00
Promoter: Live Nation:Plymouth Pavilion: Attendance: 2,823: Gross: 91,747.00

These are the only two I have seen so far.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Box office Count

Post by mattcoddington » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:31 pm

don't know if these figures are correct, but gross means nothing.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 am

As 'Live Nation' supply the figures for Music Week, I am in no position to dispute them and have to take them at face value. Music Week is the UKs music industry weekly magazine offering data analysis, charts and music industry news, its similar to Billboard.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 am

The important stat was how many T-shirts were sold.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:The important stat was how many T-shirts were sold.
well, you kinda make a good point (even though you were being goofy.) does that gross figure include merch sales? or just ticket sales? and what do these gross figures tell us? it *maybe* tells us how much money came from tickets sales. ok, big deal. it doesn't tell us about artist fees, booking fees, venue fees, production fees, accommodation fees, promotion fees, etc.

i don't want anyone to think that the gross revenue goes straight into alice's pocket. it obviously doesn't.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:47 pm

'does that gross figure include merch sales? or just ticket sales? and what do these gross figures tell us? it *maybe* tells us how much money came from tickets sales. ok, big deal. it doesn't tell us about artist fees, booking fees, venue fees, production fees, accommodation fees, promotion fees, etc.'

The figures are not broken down in any way,I can only assume it reflects ticket sales.

'i don't want anyone to think that the gross revenue goes straight into alice's pocket. it obviously doesn't.'

The information is a direct lift from Music Week magazine and makes no reference to how the money is divided, and the reader should not assume that it goes into Alice's pocket.

Th Alice figures were in a list of other artists touring during 22 - 28 Nov 2009.

To me, these are just stats, but far more interesting because they are Alice related.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Goofy? Michael Cohl used T-shirts to put Bill Graham out of business in 1989. Which would you rather sell, a $15 CD and make $2, a $50 ticket and make $20, or a $35 T-shirt and make $34? The business model has been about high margin shlock for a long time which is why every band has a website and e-store. However, attendence is a good measure of how many potential buyers are available to buy goodies.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:Goofy? Michael Cohl used T-shirts to put Bill Graham out of business in 1989. Which would you rather sell, a $15 CD and make $2, a $50 ticket and make $20, or a $35 T-shirt and make $34? The business model has been about high margin shlock for a long time which is why every band has a website and e-store.
oh i know. merch brings in a lot of money and that's why some promoters will want a piece of that action.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:06 pm

>or a $35 T-shirt and make $34?

That would be a very generous arrangment.

>that's why some promoters will want a piece of that action.

Some (maybe even all) venues, as well.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Almost all parties want a piece of the merchandise pie these days....in a band i was in a few years back we had a record company try and force us to give them a cut of our merchandise.

Needless to say we didn't sign with them.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:38 am

mattcoddington wrote:
Jumping Jack wrote:The important stat was how many T-shirts were sold.
well, you kinda make a good point (even though you were being goofy.) does that gross figure include merch sales? or just ticket sales? and what do these gross figures tell us? it *maybe* tells us how much money came from tickets sales. ok, big deal. it doesn't tell us about artist fees, booking fees, venue fees, production fees, accommodation fees, promotion fees, etc.

i don't want anyone to think that the gross revenue goes straight into alice's pocket. it obviously doesn't.

We really shouldn't be talking about this Matt. As Andy said about what Alice makes " It's really non of our business ". :nono: Pointless to even speculate.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:43 am

pitkin88 wrote:We really shouldn't be talking about this Matt. As Andy said about what Alice makes " It's really non of our business ". :nono: Pointless to even speculate.
it's not. that's my point.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:01 am

mattcoddington wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:We really shouldn't be talking about this Matt. As Andy said about what Alice makes " It's really non of our business ". :nono: Pointless to even speculate.
it's not. that's my point.

Ok I see :) I thought you were deliberately trying to get us to think of the NET profit Alice makes when you spoke of t'shirts, booking fees ect that you are particularly knowledgable on. As for GROSS sales these figures seem to be important in realtion to movies as that is what the papers and tv quote. In reality Forset Gump had a huge gross ( NO 1 ) but actually lost money. Perhaps we should lock this thread.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:08 am

pitkin88 wrote:As for GROSS sales these figures seem to be important in realtion to movies as that is what the papers and tv quote.
no. these figures aren't important at all to anyone here. that's the point.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:47 am

mattcoddington wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:As for GROSS sales these figures seem to be important in realtion to movies as that is what the papers and tv quote.
no. these figures aren't important at all to anyone here. that's the point.

Well if Alice is in a movie say " Shocker " for example I would think at least a few people here would like to know what the movie GROSSED. I'd be interested to know what
" Sextette " grossed or if it went straight to dvd. Do you known what is the highest gross for an ALICE movie?
I'd guess it was Waynes World. If you would like to expand on why you think GROSS isn't important in reagrds to Alice I'd be very interested. Weren't you impressed that the BDB's tour was the highest GROSSING tour of 1973?
I'd say that is important to us Alice fans. Mkaes me right proud :clap:

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 am

As previously stated these figures do not give any breakdown on where the money goes and what percentage may or may not go to Alice. The information the promoter supply is voluntary, they give the information to Music Week, if they don't supply it, it doesn't get published.
As regard to whether the figures are inportant to anyone on this board, that is a personal call and not one that can be decided by one individual.If you don't find the information interesting, fair enough, but some might.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:05 pm

KeithGale wrote:As previously stated these figures do not give any breakdown on where the money goes and what percentage may or may not go to Alice. The information the promoter supply is voluntary, they give the information to Music Week, if they don't supply it, it doesn't get published.
As regard to whether the figures are inportant to anyone on this board, that is a personal call and not one that can be decided by one individual.If you don't find the information interesting, fair enough, but some might.

Well said.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:55 pm

KeithGale wrote:As previously stated these figures do not give any breakdown on where the money goes and what percentage may or may not go to Alice.

exactly. so i don't understand the point?
KeithGale wrote:The information the promoter supply is voluntary, they give the information to Music Week, if they don't supply it, it doesn't get published.
again, i fail to understand the point in posting supposed gross figures for 2 shows? if someone specifically asked for this information, then i must have missed it.
KeithGale wrote:As regard to whether the figures are inportant to anyone on this board, that is a personal call and not one that can be decided by one individual.If you don't find the information interesting, fair enough, but some might.
ok, who?

not trying to knock you since you're new here - but these figures can't be verified, there are dozens of factors that come into play when figuring amounts of money related to any event (some i have discussed previously), and more importantly, these figures really mean nothing to the average alice cooper fan. and while i'm not saying that you had no right to post such figures, it needs to be pointed out that they really mean nothing to anyone here.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Maybe not any type of monetary anount, but think most on here are interested in the attendance.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:18 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:Maybe not any type of monetary anount, but think most on here are interested in the attendance.

Plus one :) I think that makes 3 of us Matt. Matt?